Simon changes his tune

and does the animating idea at the heart of the forum have to shift accordingly?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
look at this mental comment on Simon's last Instagram post

giannivalli007
rogermoore.jpg

(Artist's impression of giannivalli007)

Listen to me carefully: you are an Anglo-American critic who has a habit of formulating theories that do not stand up. Have you had the courage to use for the electronic rubbish you are dealing with to apply philosophical concepts of polysemic importance and difficulty .. obviously I am referring to DERRIDA. Already in your precious book on the history of rave music, you wrote in a derisive way the philosophy or rather the language of Deleuze. Listen to me carefully: analytic or post analytic philosophy has produced nothing but shows that they have reinvigorated capitalism (don't you like Gramsci?) And tried to eliminate continental philosophy (from Anaximander and far beyond Martin Heidegger). When DERRIDA died I read a homicidal, shamefully acid article that "remembered" the immense European genius: article appeared in the New York Times: https: //www.nytimes.com/2004/10/10/obituaries/jacques-derrida -abstruse-theorist-dies-at-74.html
In the same book dedicated to rave music (that is, a third category music exalted by the author as the joyful emanation of the consumption of drugs, of ecstatic freedom, etc.) you also disrespect Robert Bresson, when you defined Russ Mayer the Bresson of the breasts. This is not non-fiction, this is not just a lack of respect for a transcendent cinema that American imperisalism can never, ever produce .. but it is the document of your (unfounded) arrogance. What exactly did you graduate in? You are so basic on a philosophical level that you stop at Deleuze's rhizome: be serious my little star, take the DIFFERENCE AND REPETITION of the French philosopher in your hand and then one thing is certain: being an Anglo-American you would not only associate yourself with the terrorist-articulator of the New York Times for one simple reason: because you would not be able in any way possible to understand the book.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"you also disrespect Robert Bresson, when you defined Russ Mayer the Bresson of the breasts." LMAO

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've never trolled anyone online really but I'm starting to think maybe that's what I should do going forward instead of writing earnest posts about yeats and broadcasting my self doubt

blissblogger

what's interesting is nealry all those artists picked out there - Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Boards of Canada, Burial, and Daft Punk.... all seem like they have memory and nostalgia as a motif at the centre of what they do

yes those sort of paradoxes of shifting and collapsing temporalities run through the whole thing really

Look at Kraftwerk - all their imagery and thematics are early 20th Century (well, except for Computer World which is bang up to date - pocket calculators! computer dating! but the rest is all Fritz Lang and the autobahn and Trans-Europe Express... even the footage they use when playing "Tour De France" is vintage black and white footage, as opposed to today's cyclists in their bright tight man-made fabric cycling gear).

But K-Werk the music itself is building the future of pop, it's the 1980s and 1990s already arriving in the 1970s

mind you just shows that the concept of 'future music' self-deconstructs - if it's here now how it can be "future"?

it's only "future" in the William Gibson sense of "the future is here already it's just unevenly distributed".

in other words, it's "future" because only a few people at the moment can bear listen to it, but maybe, in the chronological future, a larger proportion of the general public will be able to tolerate it. today's vanguard becomes tomorrow mass music.

blissblogger

"a third category music"
i wonder what this evidently derogatory designation refers to?

and what would be "first category music"?

I'm guessing of the ilk of Webern, Boulez, et al

I do tend to get these nutters - they get really riled up, but not always about misuse of philosophy

there's a French chap who's obsessed with Siouxsie and the Banshees and seems to think I have a vendetta against them, demeaning them constantly I am. Apparently, they should have had a whole chapter in Rip It Up (nobody had a whole chapter in RIUSA, they all had to share - well except for PiL, they got two whole ones - but that's Johnny innit).

the Banshees are only one of my favorite ever bands, like, ever