version

Lucas allegedly had the merchandise in mind from the off and stated it was intended for children, although he did also position it as a Vietnam critique with The Empire standing in for the US.

Reactions: sus

shakahislop

star wars was one of the layers i had to peel away to get to the good stuff. a trick barrier. loads of disembodied online words telling you its good. untrustworthy sources. like the NME in 2003. you have to get over these waves of fakeness and disappointment and develop your own taste. find your own little cul de sacs

version

It's cool when someone genuinely likes something and tries to rehabilitate it, but so much of the stuff you read online feels like an ironic pose, loaded with arch hyperbole.

shakahislop

probably suspended has written something interesting about it, but i don't know what any of these films are really, i've seen some of them but i can't remember them

luka

harry potter is literally the only reason the uk still has tourists visiting. you see them all in their wizard capes and wands. quite sweet really.

shakahislop

you're a disgrace to the human race. no appreciation of modern mythology. if you were around in 600 bce you'd be bashing on homer. go home. pack up your bags. cross return to britain. your visa's expired. we don't want you anymore
It's not mythology though is it. It's fairy tales for children

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Simon Pegg type films, cunts know the entire script probably acting out scenes with less accomplished friends as teenagers kids type of nightmare, non? Praying for a light sabre on Christ’s mass? Shameless

Jar-Jar = nonce, it makes sense right, all gah-gah googoo childy childrens me …..no stfu you creepy cunt, crack to the head. An ewok could be a bit noncey, Chief Chirpa and the ewok priests deffo and Jabba’s a given. When you dig deep, crack through its myths, it’s an ongoing battle of the Groomers

craner

Beast of Burden
@craner So right now you're probably thinking, sure, Gus can crank up the literary notes, project a buncha symbolism on the canvas, tell a pretty story, but is it really there? Is it really in the film? Is the film a masterpiece? Or is Gus just a master of making pop culture sound like serious faire?

I can show you, but showing you is going to require unpacking a buncha scenes. Are you ready to embark on this? Will you accept the call to adventure?

It was a good try but you've defended the screenplay rather than the film itself. Everybody knows it was a horribly executed movie, an aesthetic abomination. I think you will need to do some more unpacking to convince the rest of the world.