If you'd never taken drugs...?

luka

i started smoking weed at 14. but i was already not working at school. i don't think i would have been a success but i might have been more productively mad if i never done them. ultimately it's not something you can torment yourself about though.

Benny Bunter

I know, it's far too late now. It's been annoying me lately though since I stopped absolutely everything apart from drink.

Benny Bunter

It's that horrible nagging feeling that they've ultimately made you more stupid and lazy, they weren't worth it, you could have been so much more, and the worst of it is you can never know for sure (unless you actually have had some sort of drastic mental breakdown or something of course)

luka

It's that horrible nagging feeling that they've ultimately made you more stupid and lazy, they weren't worth it, you could have been so much more, and the worst of it is you can never know for sure (unless you actually have had some sort of drastic mental breakdown or something of course)
you were probably stupid and weak willed anyway i wouldnt worry about it

version

if you meet craner though you will say to yourself, that's a man that should of done drugs. he's failed to meet his potential as a result of avoiding drugs everyone says so

Has he never done any at all? Can picture him doing coke. Cocaine Craner seems on brand. Doing lines off his Spandau Ballet collection. Wearing white trousers.

luka

yeah we were harranging him about it on the mark fisher memorial night where we memorialised him by drinking 15 lagers and getting the pub gak in. he was wearing a massive shoulder pad mischael douglas overcoat and we were saying craner you are the human embodiment of cocaine you have to do it. we tried so hard to bully him into it but we failed

luka

he'd absolutely love coke. it was me stelfox and lee kirk fagan crammed into a pub toilet cubicle in memory of mark but we just couldnt persuade him.

william_kent

"cosmic craner"

I don't know the guy and he'd hate me for sure if he ever met me or even acknowledged my existence but I love his essays on Marvin Gaye and obscure Italian police procedurals

but

I'm imagining endless summer surfing epics crashing against emanuelle in South America on ACID

and

lost my track

sorry

luka

craners so brilliant. i love people who are totally batshit insane but they dont even realise it they think they're normal

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

[IMG alt="craner"]https://www.dissensus.com/data/avatars/m/0/76.jpg?1694808074[/IMG]

craner

Beast of Burden​

I've got the blu-ray set of every series of the original Miami Vice and I am watching it from the beginning. This was the original idea of show creator Anthony Yerkovich:

Even when I was on Hill Street Blues, I was collecting information on Miami, I thought of it as a sort of a modern-day American Casablanca. It seemed to be an interesting socio-economic tide pool: the incredible number of refugees from Central America and Cuba, the already extensive Cuban-American community, and on top of all that the drug trade. There is a fascinating amount of service industries that revolve around the drug trade—money laundering, bail bondsmen, attorneys who service drug smugglers. Miami has become a sort of Barbary Coast of free enterprise gone berserk.
It's really fascinating the influence this show and Miami had on American culture in general in the 1980s, similar to the impact the equally piratical Milan had on 1980s Italy. Miami Vice was both built on and partly shaped Miami culture which, in turn, seeped into the way America presented itself and was received by the rest of the world: the mainstreaming of the Art Deco revival; the use of pastel shades and the removal of "earth tones" from product design and decor; T-shirts under Armani jackets and the invasion of Italian design into American men's fashion; Rolex and Ebel watches and Ray-ban Wayfarers; the invention of 'designer stubble'; Ferrari Testarossa and Daytonas, Porsche 911s and the Lamborghini Countach; Endeavor yachts and offshore powerboats. This was the dream that the 1990s did everything that it could to exorcise. That ultimately failed and the world that emerged out of the 2000s aspired to this more than anything else.