You won't believe when you hear this sound
GOD knows i was shocked
I've never heard something sound so right
since Whitney Houston died!

I'VE HEARD A LOT OF SOUNDS AND
I'VE HEARD A LOT OF DUBPLATES

GOD KNOWS!

The Nick Broomfield documentary was a crushing disappointment

where were the stories about Bobby having to "reach deep" to retrieve the solid stool?

what about he time she kicked off because the hotel staff supplied tea service with the hot plate when all she wanted was a hot surface to bake the coke?

I might have realised I had "pre cog" ability when the phrase "crack is wack" entered my head and I did youtube / google searches and then hours later it was announced she died

william_kent

MATERIAL FT WHITNEY HOUSTON & ARCHIE SHEPP - MEMORIES

I have a history with Whitney

I used to own a Material album that was her first ever appearance on vinyl ^

but this year I shelled out for a box set featuring the superior BOBBY WYATT version

2:

Robert Wyatt - Memories

I NEVER cry, but maybe I've shed a fraction of a tear to this tune

"maybe"

etc

"sublime"

there's something about Robert Wyatt's vocals that just hits me in the place that generates emotions

I'm a callous bastard but when Wyatt sings water fills my eys

william_kent

3:

Lime Life - Peanut Butter ( tee's inhouse mix )

oh sure, "larry", but the TODD TERRY mix is the one I could afford

earlier this year I was lying on a sofa in a former DDR ZOVIET housing BLOC and there was a bad blues / pub rock band playing for DER proletariat in the central square and I heard the phrases"spread yourself over me LIKE PEANUT BUTTER" / "I"m IN LOVE WITH YOU" drifting across and the hairs stood up on my neck

william_kent

5:

David Lynch - Ghost Of Love

finally released on 7"

RED ROOM BLUES

BLACK LODGE CLUB VIBES

SOUNDS OV bill kent shuffling spilling a glass of budget rum on the floor

#lost highway

if you've witnessed Laura and Donna in the backrooms

outside the circles of time

behold a pale horse!

william_kent

6:

memory=entryrrrr///// - Esselfortium (MyHouse.wad)

DOOM 30th ANNIVERSARY

and one of the finest pieces of ambient music EVER accompanies a piece of art disguised as a DOOM level

I was obsessed with this tune for months, should probably be number one tune of the year but there is zero rhyme or reason to this list

Screenshot_Doom_20221222_083501.png.437b560d7a3fa43c52e6d97ef010cd12.png

myhouse.wad

?
we used to have a 30 second rule when playing doom

but

myhouse.wad subverts expecations into a 30 year plus hell

william_kent

7:

I got ripped off on the vinyl this one, post has been unreliable

"oh, you can always repay the postage"

but I have the wav so whatever

Frankie B - Dub Pressure

8 BIT do-over of the PURE WORRIES tune

UK invented DIGITAL, no need to believe the 'sleng teng' revisionist junk that's been crammed down your throat

william_kent

8:

years ago I fucked up and wasn't clued in enough to buy the SANDWELL DISTRICT feed forward LP before it sold out and silly billy stupidly bought the CD version with the different mixes which only sells for £70+ nowadays

but the vinyl version was re-released this year in an overpriced 3 x 12" box

Sandwell District - Hunting Lodge

what can I say?

techno perfection

hi hats on 3/4 grid mark offbeat, filtered pads

if I had necked a dove I'd be hands in the motherfucking air

but a mere rum and coke x5 and i'm still rushing to this

william_kent

9:

Orchester Lothar Stuckart - Tentakel [Amiga] 1979 GDR Funk Breaks OST

DDR BREAKS!

one of those albums I've been after for years and I'd given up hope and then suddenly I found it wedged at the back of a box jammed behind some pub rock monstrosity

007 VIBES

william_kent

10:

Les Rallizes Denudes - The Last One 1993

so Mituzani dies and some random dude who played with the band once decides he can "officicially" release albums of bootlegged live recordings and i'm not complaining because this is caustic white light shite

dumb rudimentary bass lines overlaid with hamfisted molten metal attempts at guitar solos, off key vocals* and lumpen rhythms

* and Mituzani doesn't even "sing" on this version, but you know if he did it'd be out of tune and weak

one of their aliases translates as FUCKED UP AND NAKED

40 minutes of plodding bass and feed back

this is my idea of heaven

this fucking rocks

edit: i once played a video of Rallizes to the love of my life and she was all like "he can't sing" and I had to point out that not only can't he sing, he can't even sing and play the guitar at the same time

I fucking love Rallizes

this fucking rocks

fuck technical ability

this fucking rocks

william_kent

so, what a rubbish year

I could only post one tune that actually came out as "new" this year, everything else was a reissue, which says a lot about my pathetic nature or how crap the state of music is, etc.

chava

5:

David Lynch - Ghost Of Love

finally released on 7"

RED ROOM BLUES

BLACK LODGE CLUB VIBES

SOUNDS OV bill kent shuffling spilling a glass of budget rum on the floor

#lost highway

if you've witnessed Laura and Donna in the backrooms

outside the circles of time

behold a pale horse!
wow i need this. from inland empire, right?

william_kent

wow i need this. from inland empire, right?

yeah, from INLAND EMPIRE

the bandcamp blurb:

In true Lynch fashion, it’s difficult to know which inspired which: did "Ghost of Love" birth a scene in INLAND EMPIRE, or did the film’s ideas birth the song? Just as ‘In Heaven’ had served to encapsulate Eraserhead, “Ghost of Love” managed to encapsulate INLAND EMPIRE allowing its listener to close their eyes and immediately channel the film’s images and mood onto the screen of the mind.

DLaurent

I'll have a listen as I'm always impressed by the depth of your crate and clinical observations. I like David Lynch's music and Inland Empire is a masterpiece to me. All of a matter of opinion. I think Ghost of Love plays just after a Laura Dern looks into the camera in a close up, with the Women in the street in the background, and says "Sweeeeeet".

william_kent

Inland Empire is a masterpiece to me.

and me

I'm still searching for US edition with 3 hours of extra scenes

the six hour version!

like the mythical Lynch 6 hour cut of DUNE that all the film nerds would talk about when I was buying pirate coipies of Wu Xia films, but then they'd start arguing about whether there was one stormtrooper or two in the elevator on the deathstar and their pirate copy was superior because it was the "real" Lucas vision

william_kent

when I first saw INLAND EMPIRE I was thinking within the first few minutes that if you wanted to take the piss out of David Lynch then this is what you'd do, scratchy sounds, mundane dialogue by rabbits accompanied by laughter track, but then it gets darker and darker, and I was left craving for more ( like the mythical 6 hour cut )

there was a thread this year about dance scenes in movies ( @version ) and I was going to post the LOCOMOTION scene from INLAND EMPIRE but the youtube clips were a bit rubbish, didn't capture the full majesty or strangeness

INLAND EMPIRE LOCOMOTION

DLaurent

I watched Twin Peaks with my sister and she loved that, so I suggested we watch Inland Empire and she didn't follow it and we got up to that scene and she said enough was enough. She's done it with lots of films. It's quite simple to me, even though the first time it just washed over me, I watched it again and realised the haunted audition plot.

william_kent

I watched Twin Peaks with my sister and she loved that, so I suggested we watch Inland Empire and she didn't follow it and we got up to that scene and she said enough was enough. She's done it with lots of films. It's quite simple to me, even though the first time it just washed over me, I watched it again and realised the haunted audition plot.

I can see her point of view, we're an hour and half in and what the fuck is going on with this barbeque

turn it off just as it's getting interesting

not that I ever did that, but some people haven't watched Lost Highway and won't get the FUGUE STATE *

* or done drugs or meditated or had some sort of PEAK moment in their life