dilbert1

You're correct, they did that very deliberately. Though didn't really succeed. Germans and breakbeats don't really go well together
True enough but DHR is an important exception, see this great sister thread from @padraig (u.s.)

chava

True enough but DHR is an important exception, see this great sister thread from @padraig (u.s.)

oh, Alec Empire. Yeah, he's one of a kind. Cancelled now, however : https://www.instagram.com/alec_empire/

chava

Martin Dam/The Speedfreak/Biochip C/Biobreaks and numerous other aliases was better though. He could make everything from happy hardcore to proper gnarly purist electro without it sounding cliche or try hard at all. Alec was too much of a rock star.

I must say here I disagree. To me Martin Damm production were never that original while sometimes technically well done, while Alec had some proper unique and personal tracks, like SuEcide, The Report even he is a and was a massive blowhard.

Not reason enough to cancel him tho, you touchy englishmen

chava

Martin Dam/The Speedfreak/Biochip C/Biobreaks and numerous other aliases was better though. He could make everything from happy hardcore to proper gnarly purist electro without it sounding cliche or try hard at all. Alec was too much of a rock star.

What you need is E de Cologne instead, someone who actually broke the hardcore continuum.

Actually he put himself solidly in the very underreported amiga-tracker-lofi-non-rave-referincing-still silly-techno-hardcore continuum very well (his puppet techno act for instance)

blissblogger

What did Alec E do to get cancelled?

(Always liked him, as an interviewee - but the DHR's stuff novelty appeal wore off quite quick. He did some nice solo stuff as I recall).

chava

What did Alec E do to get cancelled?

(Always liked him, as an interviewee - but the DHR's stuff novelty appeal wore off quite quick. He did some nice solo stuff as I recall).
He is smart guy, am I right he also did write his techno records 'properly', with notation and all?

He is not exactly cancelled as such, but did rile up a few of his fans post october 7th :

dilbert1

I mean, one could see a contradiction between ATR’s black bloc Y2K aesthetics, and then this anti-Deutsche lunacy as some late development, but in old interviews with Empire, as well as more generally in the ideology of anarchist milieus in Germany, it’s not such a fringe position and already latent in their worldview. It certainly is pathetic brain worms hysteria and a testament to the disturbed self-flagellating moral conscience of Germans.

chava

Yup, listening to the destroyer ep now. Forgot how well the 303 went with even the (anti-) deutsche breakbeats

wektor

I've said this before but the best end of dubstep was the least rootsy and most techno end of it. That's when it really fulfilled the promise of being a modern headfuck analog of digidub.
I would generally agree. I always have had a special place for the techy dubstep, actually likewise connected to corsica and hackney wick in my mind, before nervous horizon started emulating svbkvlt and felt that is intuitively the extension of the nuum into the present. there's also lanark artefax who I think is recently back on track and djrum who is not so active as a few years ago, both surely a part of the nuum but again, we're talking last 5-10 years, not now, now.

in the latter case I guess T Gast is someone who tries to extrapolate dubstep, funnily enough towards post-punk, dj marcelle does a similar thing often

wektor

also dj pitch and the whole all centre lot, somehow missed all of their parties when I was still in London, but they seem to be still putting/playing out wonky sounding 140bpm material: