version

Scott Adams, alt-right influencer and creator of the comic strip Dilbert.

Yeah, I know who he is. I bought two of the Dilbert books in primary school thinking they'd be funny cartoons and they were just cartoons about working in an office that went over my head.

craner

Beast of Burden
I have to go and eat a boiled egg and ruminate on the fact that you called me goofy.

I will be back.

luka

Untitled-design-1.png

Posted by Darya Sinusoid | Jun 28, 2021
Persuasion Tactics: A Master Persuader’s Toolkit

This article is an excerpt from the Shortform book guide to "Win Bigly" by Scott Adams. Shortform has the world's best summaries and analyses of books you should be reading.
Like this article? Sign up for a free trial here .
Do you want to improve your persuasion skills? What tactics do master persuaders use to sway people to their point of view?
If you want to level up your persuasion game, there is no shortage of methods that teach you how to exercise your skills. The following persuasion tactics are taken from Win Bigly: Persuasion in a World Where Facts Don’t Matter.
Here are some tactics every aspiring persuader should know.

Scott Adams: How to Be a Master Persuader​

Master persuaders often have a collection of persuasion tactics up their sleeve. The more you can combine, the more persuasive you will be. These tactics teach how to persuade on a word-by-word basis.

Linguistic Kill Shot

A Linguistic Kill Shot is a nickname or catchphrase targeting your opponent. It can be so persuasive that it quickly ends an argument. They are more effective when novel (uncommon, unexpected) and visual.
The 2016 US Presidential election showed a variety of nicknames, some masterful and others ineffective.
  • Trump’s: “Low-energy Jeb.” “Lyin’ Ted.” “Lil’ Marco.” “Crooked Hillary.” “Goofy Elizabeth Warren.”
    • Note how the most memorable names weren’t common – no use of “liberal.”
    • Note too the deliberate contraction of words that invites a double take – lyin’, lil’.
    • These all fed confirmation bias and visual imagery – Jeb did indeed look listless, Ted did have beady little eyes that made him look untrustworthy.