version

Dilbert's top ten Gerald tunes as an appetiser:

Alright, down to business.

Preface

This will be a ‘top ten’ list of sorts, but instead of ten tracks I will have ten entries, based on releases. I am mostly focusing on singles as opposed to albums to make that easier, but mentioning them for context along the way. The entries aren’t hierarchically ranked, but listed chronologically, in a kind of highlight reel of a 20-year span of his career. It definitely concentrates heavily around the ‘91-93 era, but this is dissensus after all.

I’ll exclude his mega-single and very first solo release “Voodoo Ray” (the other three tracks on which are also impressive ‘88 bangers, with even crisper beats), as its so obvious, much ink has been spilled etc., and most of what should be gleaned about its impact can easily be summed up here:

I will also exclude “Pacific State” so as to not let its sordid history taint my Gerald-centric list, and because the triumphs in his career truly come by way of leaving behind and mercilessly outmoding Massey et al. In its place, the break-up letter “Specific Hate,” his own finished version of the original sporting the ‘Funky Drummer’ break and featuring a vocal sample teasing his ex-group about their apparently sole contribution (“Where’s your saxophone?”), b/w a tune containing snippets of Graham on the phone to Gerald, arguing about “being paid from record companies.” Presumably these were churned out by the latter in between his shifts at McDonald’s.

The List

1)
Gerald was to advance sonically, of course, but his first LP/major release after leaving 808 State, Automanikk (1990), proved he could still beat them at their own game. The swaggering beauty “Subscape” furnishes an excellent example. At this point he’s still somewhat within the same realm of American facsimile, but true to his sources in his inspiration, groping forward alongside them (cf. his meeting with Derrick May to work on the album), whereas a listen back to Utd. State 90 or ex:el evinces a much more pallid and pronouncedly commercial exercise. Also, am I incorrect in hearing a time-stretched vocal sample here?

2) With his first release subsequent to Automanikk, entitled The Sunshine EP (1991), the GCG spaceship has officially left the station. Though released by Columbia off the back of his album, this record presages his signature alchemical ‘Juicebox’ sound, the auspice under which his subsequent output will appear, eventually culminating with the albums 28 Gun Badboy (1993) and Black Secret Technology (1995).

“Anything” inaugurates the sonic pivot boldly and with an explosive new attitude both indebted and alien to his previous American-inflected efforts. That is, it marks his (as much as his native scene’s) becoming-hardcore. This, in my opinion, is arguably his most classic work, ahead of “Voodoo Ray,” his first bad tune. Menacing. Hard to put into words, the record scratch sample articulates it perfectly.

I enjoy the slightly touched-up “2.1” version from a couple years later even more, which adds a few elements including a playfully sampled vocal hook from the titular track off Automanikk.

And although “Disneyband” still has a foot in Gerald’s past, its really quite elegant, some of his best, and ends up on 28 Gun nonetheless.

3) Next are tunes from the Juicebox release Cops (JBOX 003), which was available on white label via Columbia in ‘91. “Cops” has the organic ongoing cross-pollination of hip-hop and dance music in ‘90-91 written all over it, a big bumpin’ beat of meaty breaks with screeching accents and a funky bassline, beautiful hardcore collage nicking its hooked mantra and hectic atmosphere from RoboCop.

“The Trak” was probably the first hardcore breakbeat tune I ever heard and my favorite upon first listening to 28 Gun. With the opening riff you know something good’s coming. Tension builds as the opening bars stop and go, the beats interrupted by stuttering stabs, until opening up in beautiful relief with female crooning vox, atonal clangs and even heavier syncopation. Then its rinse and repeat. It could be sentimental but this one just hits the spot.

4) A tune off Forever Changing (1992), “Got A Feeling,” also featured on 28 Gun and probably my second favorite of the ‘unmixed’ tracklist. Not a ton to say, just a fat track in signature Gerald style, which is also to say its quite the earworm. Mean 303 coming in after a couple minutes.

version

5) Still going strong in ‘92 and picking up considerable steam, Ses Makes You Wise / King of the Jungle might be the most solid of the Juicebox 12”s or, again, perhaps just my favorite. Precious gold all the way through. “Sunshine” and “Ses Makes You Wise” are amazing, but for my money the B-side has just a bit more to offer.

“King of the Jungle” is adorably brilliant. I Iove it dearly. If you break down the bassline into its notes its almost like something from the Cocteau Twins, and the way that Tarzan sounding jungle-call sample fits over it tugs at my heart strings for some reason. That bubbling sequence to open. Those wicked rewind samples. Naive but sophisticated. Wicked but innocent. The miracle baby that is jungle announces its birth.

“Boase Up” is a galloping, loopy and rambunctiously ragga-tinged number showcasing the increasingly complex productions Gerald is beginning to pump out, being more of a headfuck than anything he’s made up to this point. This release also concludes the 28 Gun era, as it contains the latest tracks to be featured on the album. The BPMs are up as we rapidly approach full-blown junglism.

6) It’s finally 1993, and with 28 Gun Bad Boy behind him Gerald is conjuring a serious, sinister sound with the release of The Glok Track. The eponymous tune, the clear standout here, wields a violent and complex rhythm. Its tense atmosphere is reminiscent of “Anything,” but its as if that track were shot into outer space and returned to its home planet equipped with alien (black secret?) technology. On this video it starts at about 4 minutes in as the uploader includes the intro track “Gerald’s Bassline,” which also boasts similar weapon-like enhancements, especially apparent around the 2 minute mark.

The remix on Black Secret Technology (entitled “Cyberjazz”) is great as well.

7) Darker Than I Should Be / Anything V.2.1 is Gerald’s second release of ‘93 and comes once again shrouded in darkness. Faithfully reprising an old tune (listed above), its other titular track plays off of the ‘darkside’ theme with a racial twist, uttering “black secret technology” and some bleak ragga lyrics in its vocal samples.

The remix (“Ladies Mix”) exchanges the eerie ambience for mellow whimsy (hence also the change in title to “Alita’s Dream” as its featured on Black Secret Technology), and I think I prefer this version to be honest.

Another brilliant title, “Too Fucked To Dance” is certainly worth a mention. And its another one of Gerald’s most inhuman and otherworldly creations. Cold. Deadly. Nerve-racking. But also a sort of sad and damaged feeling going on. In a word, too fucked.

8) Nazinji-Zaka / Hot Foot (1994). The A-side is the one here. Swirling, swelling, sweaty. Like a communion of extraterrestrial insects. Certainly not a ‘94 ‘banger’ but as jungle began to standardize and dilute this certainly stands on its own two feet.

For what it’s worth, though, I think around this time is when you can just start to see, on the horizon, the whole thing coming apart at the seams, by which I mean Gerald’s pinnacle and pioneering role. This is one of the last releases (besides Gloc/Darker rmx which I already listed, and “Finely’s Rainbow” which I don’t particularly care for) before Black Secret Technology comes out, by which time the music is so to speak moving past him, and after which his pace of output severely slows.

However, that’s not to say the scene itself’s zenith outlived him by all that much. During the ‘95-96 period he also seems to be deejaying for the first time in a real way with appearances on Radio 1 and ‘One in the Jungle’, playing out prime Metalheadz/Good Looking hi-fi type stuff. Perhaps BST was an exhausting and financially stressful experience, and his idiosyncratic/experimentalist approach felt outshined by the increasingly polished and professional studio sound of this period. I don’t mean to besmirch the man with my speculation or make any less of his career, to me its not so much that he fell off, as the times fell off. He was a fore-bearer, an innovator, an inspiration, and in that sense the kids will always take what you’ve done and run with it, and you probably won’t be able to keep up.

9) So Many Dreams (1996). In my opinion this is a far superior albeit somewhat obscure remix (because overshadowed by the album version and Aquasky remix) of the opener to Black Secret Technology, and one of my all-time favorite Gerald Tracks. Incredibly beautiful and immersive. The bass drop is huge. The buildup to cacophonous clangy breaks, with that telephone ring. Some of the most beautiful studio vocals on a jungle track I’ve heard. “One day, you and me, we’ll be free.” This one does something to me. The above write-up notwithstanding, he’s in peak form here.

10) From his 2000 LP Essence, the very pretty tune “The First Breath.” I haven’t spent much time listening to this album, its mostly vocal/pop-oriented drum n bass and downtempo, but its got a couple instrumental cuts that caught my ear. This is the last release of his jungle/dnb era before mostly returning to his roots with deep house and techno stuff. Or, to put it another way, before he puts away the sampler and goes all Berlin on us, at least for quite some time. In fact this album was released by !K7, a German house and techno label. With that said, its still very much recognizably Gerald, and though its a little cliché I find it admirable how much he stayed true to himself. He may be aiming for a wider audience here with ‘crossover’ appeal, but he doesn’t compromise his sound or sensibility to do so. Despite my decreased interest in his music today and his lack of studio output, this still seems true. I’d rather listen to him playing endlessly with all the old Roland machines than hear him making shitty Drum n Bass.

version

that one didnt stick cos i dont say meme worthy things
5o88ho.jpg

dilbert1

“Now, speaking out through historical knowledge, with a shrug of its shoulders, dissensus rejects all becoming and thus disseminates the feeling of the person who has come much too late and is unoriginal, in short, of the person born with gray hair.”

dilbert1

[continued] “Dissensus is really a kind of congenital gray-haired condition, and those who bear its mark… come to the instinctive belief in the old age of humanity. An old person's occupation… is looking back, tallying the accounts, balancing the books, seeing consolation in what used to be through memories, in short, a retro-maniacal culture.”