How Normal are your 'Normal Mates'?

luka

cant wait to bump into corpsey in real life and embaress him in front of his normal mates

craner

Beast of Burden
Corpsey's parents have no idea he's an online legend.

It's like when Jeff Clarke was surfing Mavericks on his own while he was still in high school

this was the inspiration for the thread. we were talking about who looks like a physical freak on dissensus.

I've met Shiels he didn't look so bad. But while the first time I bumped into him it was only embarrassing cos he said 'aren't you corpsey from dissensus?' in front of my normal friends, the second time I met him he was absolutely battered, covered in sweat and was grabbing me on the dancefloor and hurling me around.

Didn’t look so bad is high praise here

I fantasise about having a no nonsense pragmatic conviction. Getting on with it. I’d love to be able to just get on with it

All the very worst people think they have found their crowd I think and start to convince themselves of insular self reinforcing shite, it’s very important to stay connected to the normals and keep your heart open and talk to strangers and all that

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My closest friends were not normal growing up. I mean we weren't bullied or anything but we were weirdos, eccentrics. (God that makes us sound like twats.) My friends from uni are more normal though of course everyone sees their mates as peculiar "characters". They're not as normal (or so it appears) as some of my current colleagues. But maybe I just don't see those colleagues in their natural environment.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Oh and good point re me using dissensus, they think that's weird (well, they don't even care about it obviously). I'm definitely weirder than them. I've always felt strange. Perhaps a defence mechanism for the terminally shyguy. Or perhaps the fruits of terminal shyness and isolation. Chicken, egg.

I'm very stoned right now, I'm not trying to write like a robot promise

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
this was the inspiration for the thread. we were talking about who looks like a physical freak on dissensus.

I've met Shiels he didn't look so bad. But while the first time I bumped into him it was only embarrassing cos he said 'aren't you corpsey from dissensus?' in front of my normal friends, the second time I met him he was absolutely battered, covered in sweat and was grabbing me on the dancefloor and hurling me around.
I hope it's clear that I loved meeting Shiels, he was a lovely guy, it was just one of those shameful moments when my online persona clashes with the world of people who know what dissensus is.

As I said to you, a guy I met at a festival in Serbia was amazed I was the legendary corpsey from drum n bass arena and my friends all thought it was hilarious

luka

Craner has 'Badger Gav'.
ive met him! he was one of those twenty somethings that look middle aged. hunched, weird school teacher goatee beard, tweed jacket, lot of extra ballast about the middle, always looking at the floor. he went to teach english in xinjiang and never returned. not particularly normal person. he was already an alcoholic then so god knows what 20 years in china has done to him.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have a mate who is always a bit down where he lives cos he wants to chat (/argue) about geopolitics and he works on building sites where they don't give a shit about any of that

I do feel for him but I must say most of the time I keep my private interests to myself - dissensus being an example of an invaluable outlet

I'd never want to bore other ppl about literature and art, in fact whenever I do talk about this stuff to people (even interested people) I end up hating what I say, feeling like a pseud, wishing I'd just keep that stuff on the page/screen where it belongs.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'd say none of my close mates are "basic". We're more the slightly culturally different but equally sheep like type of people who laugh at "basic" people and share smug jokes about live love laugh posters.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny being on forums you end up with mates you never meet it's like the contemporary equivalent of being one of those weirdos with a pen friend that lives in russia