The Right to Be Cool

luka

yeah its interesting this attack on the tastemakers i guess it is. a popular rebellion. how can you tell me marvel movies arent art etc

version

Yeah, they aren't content with wealth and saturation. They demand accolades and prestige to go along with it, like eating in McDonald's and insisting people call it gourmet.

luka

i always found it misguided kaynes obsession with the grammys. not exactly the same thing but sort of linked.

sus

version

The Oscars are still seen as some sort of benchmark. There was a big push to get a superhero film in there. That's what people hoped Logan would do, but it ended up being that animated Spider-Man film and Phoenix doing Joker a few years later.

sus

By design it's impossible to win everyone's approval. The ecology of evaluation and assessment, the objective social structure which dispenses capital, is heterogenous; different parts of the whole reward different strategies, and there is no strategy that can receive universal acclaim. By design. Because different subcultures of taste, and different socioeconomic classes, work on principles of distinction and normative inversion.

sus

i think one problem with sinclair is his 'outsider' stance: throughout 'lights out' he's bitching and pissing about channel 4 commissioning policy ect ect, which is okay as far as it goes, but now that sinclair is a penguin author and fairly well treated by television and press, the pose looks a bit lame. he's a bit like an mc, using his nonfiction to boost all his mates (ahoy! kevin jackson!) which is a bit cliquey, especially since he's so keen on trashing amis, mcewan, et al -- note that his criticism of these guys is often about their connections and success and gang-ness rather than their stuff as such. sometimes his prose is a bit indigestible, but it's really about sharing his obsessions with london arcana. if you're not taken in, then he's not for you. ie not for me.
Do you see how this works?? You can't get popular and be lauded as an outsider.

sus

You can't please everyone. You should pick your audience and optimize your performance to that audience and accept that inevitability, your performance will be hated by someone. By many someones.

sus

What about Aphex Twin?
A priori I wager several dozen subcultures predicated on a shared hate for Aphex Twin. Some of them are mainstreamers who think Aphex Twin is pretentious, and some of them are hipsters who think Aphex Twin is mainstream shlock.

version

A priori I wager several dozen subcultures predicated on a shared hate for Aphex Twin. Some of them are mainstreamers who think Aphex Twin is pretentious, and some of them are hipsters who think Aphex Twin is mainstream shlock.

My point was he's very successful, but still seen as an outsider.

sus

When someone is commercially successful—financially or in terms of popularity—then they are systematically denied prestige by arbiters of high culture.

But also, the very choices involved in becoming commercially successful tend to preclude the possibility of critical respect.

sus

There's something here about people not wanting to settle, not wanting to choose. Unfortunately if you don't settle you get nothing. This is the serial dating disease of the Tinder years.