mixed_biscuits

This pronoun pernicketiness is the apotheosis of capitalist brand-building. Please, in my absence, use only Helvetica font for my name, which must be followed by TM, have half a centimetre white space around it and be only in red. Thank you, but I tell you what I'll call you when you're not around. It's 'the control freak'.

mixed_biscuits

And cultural exchange requires a level playing field...cultural exchange under conditions of oppression is no exchange at all.

dilbert1

One time I was in a bookstore in Brighton with a friend from Leeds. As we walked in he explained to me how confident he was that he’d be able to steal tons of books in his tote bag without a hitch, due to how hopelessly deferential and credulous Brits are in their interactions with strangers. As we walked out, the sensors in some of the books set the alarm off. A staff member, looking alert, doing his best stern voice, asked “Excuse me, have you some books in there?” to which my friend replied, “No, I don’t. I’ve not stolen anything and I’m going to leave now.” The man pursed his lips, sheepishly nodded and, as if to apologize for being presumptuous, says, “Right! Off you go then, have a nice day. :)

mixed_biscuits

One time I was in a bookstore in Brighton with a friend from Leeds. As we walked in he explained to me how confident he was that he’d be able to steal tons of books in his tote bag without a hitch, due to how hopelessly deferential and credulous Brits are in their interactions with strangers. As we walked out, the sensors in some of the books set the alarm off. A staff member, looking alert, doing his best stern voice, asked “Excuse me, have you some books in there?” to which my friend replied, “No, I don’t. I’ve not stolen anything and I’m going to leave now.” The man pursed his lips, sheepishly nodded and, as if to apologize for being presumptuous, says, “Right! Off you go then, have a nice day. :)
In America he would have just shot him.

mixed_biscuits

One time I was in a Barnes & Noble in Cleveland with a friend from Omaha. As we walked in he explained to me how confident he was that he’d be able to steal tons of books in his tote bag without a hitch, due to how hopelessly deferential and credulous Yanks are in their interactions with strangers. As we walked out, the sensors in some of the books set the alarm off. A staff member, looking alert, doing his best stern voice, asked “Excuse me, have you some books in there?” to which my friend replied, “No, I don’t. I’ve not stolen anything and I’m going to leave now.” The man pursed his lips, sheepishly nodded and, as if to apologize for being presumptuous, says, “Right! Off you go then, have a nice day, man," and tipped his stetson. :)

dilbert1

We do say “man” a lot I’ll give you that. “Don’t tase me, man” as we walk out of the bookstore

dilbert1

@mixed_biscuits No it was mostly the part where you copied and pasted mine. But then also said the thief would be shot. You’re a little all over the place. I’ve just come into some inheritance and am considering partially funding a trip to America for you. You can even stop in Cleveleand and Omaha first

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i had the same experience the one time i was in england, people stepping aside for you when you walk into them on the sidewalk (sorry sir!), people letting you jump the queue (go ahead pal), people thanking you (thank you sir!) in every little conversation and transaction. i thought it was amazing to be honest, felt like a prince.