sus

All I'm trying to say is I don't think it's helpful to blame inner rage on "the state of the world."

The world's always been shit

What matters is how you relate to it, how you orient yourself.

sus

You can externalize that rage, say that it's "natural" given the outside world—how could you feel any other way?

But people have stayed zen through far, far worse in living memory. They achieve and maintain this zen through perspective.

I'm trying to get Patty and other people our age to maintain some perspective. I think it's sorely missing in woe-this-generation chatter.

mixed_biscuits

The world's always been shit

What matters is how you relate to it, how you orient yourself.
This is the quintessential tech-bro perspective: there are no societies, only one global society, and people's existence is one of an atomised individualistic freedom within this global, fundamentally interneted society. One then solves the problem of relating to others by repositioning oneself, creating a novel set of proximal social interactance. This is why, to sus, there is no distinction to be made between historical wars between societies and conditions within societies, all that matters is the global society and the only real harm is of an individual death as each one forces an unsubscribe from the tech-bro's ubiquitous services.

mixed_biscuits

I've attended numerous 'rationalist' meetups which are sort of the 'thinking' end of tech folk and, although they are generally quite nice people and have the typical insectoid fast-twitch intelligence of the STEM nerd, their culture is almost non-existent, being restricted to sci-fi with knowledge of some of the sci-fi classics, e.g. 1984, if you are lucky. Considering that the goal of the wider culture has been generally speaking to be solving the problems of living well, making ethical decisions, getting on with others, then it could be said that they have some major catching up to do.

other_life

bioconfused
that wasn't a vaguepost upthread by the way! i was delirious from staying up mixing and thought it was the funniest thing in the world

mixed_biscuits

I'd understand tech-bros' blithe smugness if their technological trinkets were meeting with majority approval rather than the opposite...even digital natives, despite manifold conveniences, want to roll things back 30 years into the past, effectively cancelling the very existence of tech-bros.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I managed to make WYH have a breakdown simply by not being Catalog. That was the weirdest one.

droid

What's most notable about Tea's rage is its pervasiveness. Ive barely been here for months and he's still talking about me. WYH sensibly decided to ignore him a while back and yet after repeatedly whinging about being bullied, Tea continues to provoke him with snide asides. He just cant let it go. Its like we're living rent free in his head.