The Hater's Thread

swears

preppy-kei
mercury rev. used to like them when i was a teenager, but now just thinking of them makes me feel dirty and used, like i've been touched up by a sleazy old man.

oh, and they're just fucking boring.

A friend of mine noted how Mercury Rev's and The Flaming Lips late 90s stuff is the template for so much crap, over-arranged US indie like Arcade Fire.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh dear... the dreaded return (but we all knew it was going to happen didn't we?)

not sure if following belongs here but:

never been a huge fan, but have always liked Neil Young. what i always found puzzling is that "rocking in the free world" song -- WTF??? why is this loner outcast melancholic and cynical dude singing this fucking obnoxious praise to the Man??? made me angry every time i heard it.

but.... recently came across the lyrics, which redeems Neil and the song - but i suspect millions of people out there don't know what the lyrics are, and play it as a flag waver :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rockin' In The Free World by Neil Young
--------
There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it, any way I can.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world
Keep on rockin' in the free world.

I see a woman in the night
With a baby in her hand
Under an old street light
Near a garbage can
Now she puts the kid away, and she's gone to get a hit
She hates her life, and what she's done to it
There's one more kid that will never go to school
Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool.

We got a thousand points of light
For the homeless man
We got a kinder, gentler,
Machine gun hand
We got department stores and toilet paper
Got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer
Got a man of the people, says keep hope alive
Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

zhao

there are no accidents
I'm not a big fan of any music that makes full grown men believe it is endearing to be a big pussy.

you should tell that to this guy:

oxbow.jpg

mos dan

fact music
oh dear... the dreaded return (but we all knew it was going to happen didn't we?)

not sure if following belongs here but:

never been a huge fan, but have always liked Neil Young. what i always found puzzling is that "rocking in the free world" song -- WTF??? why is this loner outcast melancholic and cynical dude singing this fucking obnoxious praise to the Man??? made me angry every time i heard it.

but.... recently came across the lyrics, which redeems Neil and the song - but i suspect millions of people out there don't know what the lyrics are, and play it as a flag waver :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

i've got a lot of time for neil young, as confusing as his politics are sometimes (and as much as he sounds like kermit the frog)..

'rockin in the free world' is basically in exactly the same template as 'born in the usa' - consistently misunderstood because of its bang-the-drum, gung-ho patriotic tone/chorus, despite fairly transparently 'outsider' lyrics.

Numbers

True, I watched that video yesterday and immediately hated them thoroughly. I can't believe that's the James/Dr. Venom of the Biryani-track. It's mind-blowing how annoying both are -and how they're allowed to cultivate their annoying attitude. Why didn't the reporter just slap them?

gumdrops

i think there should be a 'modern ______ is rubbish' thread for every genre on dissensus. the old running news, gossip, blah blah threads got closed but theres potential for these new ones. 'modern rock is rubbish', 'modern electronica/idm is rubbish', 'modern grime is rubbish'... we can do it all! :p