The Hater's Thread

shaun L

Yeah, Red Hot Car is a cut above. I think if I was to abandon my unreasoning aversion to the 'pusher, I could probably get into the unbreaks material- I remember hearing some ominous semi rock on Ultravisitor. Its the misuse of breaks and edits that gets me - additionally, he's the Steve Vai of DSP plugins.

Troy

31 Seconds
Beat Science

the song is "red hot car" but of course he says "red hot c*ck" :eek:

Seems I find his use of the Jungle vernacular very intense, imaginative, and detailed in a good way... and that others do not.

Can anyone point me towards Jungle Beat Science that is more interesting, detailed, and imaginative than Squarepusher's?

shaun L

I really rate the Joint 2. its a moving shadow/suburban base collaboration---

http://www.discogs.com/release/157302
If you see it-buy immediately

Its got a similar mix of hyper edited breaks and vocals to a lot of squarepusher/snares material- but IMO has more vitality. A lot of the moving shadow releases from 1994/1995 are absolutely amazing.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
mms said:
i think 90% of the time he is just trying to produce different end results with some of the means of production thats all.
Yeah, exactly.
some of it i like some of it i'm not so keen on, some of his best stuff doesn't have breakbeats in it at all and a complete absence of jungle.
Also true. Actually, a lot of more recent drill oriented stuff has been leaving me cold - basically, since they've go good at it, I think, and it's lost that blatantly cheap electronic sound that gave it a peverse sort of soul. To get back on topic, a lot of Squarepusher's recent stuff (although the title track of Do You Know... is a killer), Venetian Snares' more synthy less breakbeaty stuff... ugh.

Novabass

Prosumer
Hate

I wont single out any particular artitsts here (except for MIA and Basement Jaxx), but off the top of my head here's the stuff I LOVE to HATE:

Progressive House - Progressive Breaks - Anything “Goth”, “Industrial”, etc - Most Grime - “Dirty South” Rap – Reggaeton – “Tech” step (and most post ‘96 era D&B) – Boring Neo-Soul & Nu-Jazz – “Glitchy” IDM –ESG wanna-be bands – Trance – Most post ’92 Hip-Hop (with many notable exceptions) – Mid-late 1980’s American Indie Rock – Grunge - World Beat – Fake coffee table Bossa Nova – Anything sold at Starbucks – Nu-Metal – 33% of all Dubstep (the other 66% is good to great!) – Big-Beat – 88% of Avant-Noise – Austrailian “Rock” – Downtempo “electronica” that samples Indian music – Downtempo – “Wallpaper” Muzak House (Deep, “funky” Brazilian sampling stuff - played as backdrop in “trendy” urban neo-mod cocktail bars) - Quiet Storm & Smooth Jazz.

There's more, but I don't have time....

Novabass

Prosumer
WOEBOT said:
- matthew herbert. loved around the house. liked bodily functions. can not stand the recent stuff. his smug chops really put me off and he's the architect of this completely bizarre impulse to pepper/construct essentially rather banale music with found-sound. as if somehow that makes what he's dong interesting?!?!?!? matmos are guilty of this too, why the hell does the fact you've made this house music from the sounds of surgery implements or the performance of a colonic irrigation make it interesting (although at least matmos can occasionally make wonderful music out of it. doesnt change my point though!)

Just got his latest CD a few days ago - lost interest on track 3 and haven't been back since. I'm actually slightly dreading listening to the rest of it, but feel obligated since I shelled out the money. Used to be a fan, but his bag of (samples) tricks is wearing a little thin. Boring, po-faced stuff...Hate the live band too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
All I can say is...

....Coldplay (my university's most famous graduates, God help us),
Travis,
Keane,
Ash,
Stereophonics,
just about every and and band with a name starting with the word 'The'...
...and so i goes on. Surely not a controversial choice, but the WHOLE LOT of sickeningly bland 'indie' bands infecting us at the moment. Christ, I saw The Thrills o TV not long ago, and they were about as thrilling as a heavily-sedated Dido. Fuck.

Not an especially inspired post, but I'm rather drunk and listening to Ministry. So there.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Novabass said:
Just got his latest CD a few days ago - lost interest on track 3 and haven't been back since. I'm actually slightly dreading listening to the rest of it, but feel obligated since I shelled out the money. Used to be a fan, but his bag of (samples) tricks is wearing a little thin. Boring, po-faced stuff...Hate the live band too.
"Check these out," says Matthew Herbert aka Dr Rockit, Radio Boy, modern-day big-band leader, seductive deep-house purveyor, moments after answering the door to his studiocum- pad in seaside Whitstable. He's brandishing two small, slightly dented torpedo shells. "They're from Iraq. I just got them on eBay." And with that, he taps the shells together, producing a resonant, mellifluous ping.
(from the Grauniad, the other week)
vs
This week, Nathan scours eBay for a fragment of cruise missile shrapnel which he intends to tap with a drumstick and use as the sampled backbone for an anti-war bootmash of Edwin Starr, Olivia Newton-John, Rageh Omarr and The Kills.
(from TV Go Home, ages ago).

Aaargh. And don't get me started on the 'personal contract for the creation of music'... or Whitstable arrivistas, come to that.

zhao

there are no accidents
for me Joni Mitchell might fall under the "don't get" rather than the hate list.

another person who i DON'T GET AT ALL: Carla Bley.

I love almost everything her husband did to death, but what is that stuff she recorded? and often with amazing players, opera jazz? avant musical theater?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's nothing to get with Joni Mitchell, she's simply an aberration and should be tried for crimes against aesthetics.

swears

preppy-kei
I hate it when pop/rnb acts that make great sequencer-driven studio records (Kelis for instance) play live, or on a TV show like Jools Holland or something and feel compelled to have a live band onstage. These back-up groups always sound remarkably similar, particularly the brass sections, it may well be the same group of muso hacks every time. Artists shouldn't feel scared of sticking on a DAT and prancing around with some hired dancers. Never did Madonna any harm.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I hate it when pop/rnb acts that make great sequencer-driven studio records (Kelis for instance) play live, or on a TV show like Jools Holland or something and feel compelled to have a live band onstage. These back-up groups always sound remarkably similar, particularly the brass sections, it may well be the same group of muso hacks every time. Artists shouldn't feel scared of sticking on a DAT and prancing around with some hired dancers. Never did Madonna any harm.

Agreed, plus when an act DOES play to a DAT/DJ pretending to play the backing track as a live performance on TV, the track is always too quiet. WHY?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Shudders

Sufjan, Björk, Prince Line Up for Joni Mitchell Tribute

Prior to this moment, only in our wildest and sauciest dreams could we picture Sufjan Stevens, Björk, and Prince rolling around together.

Nonesuch Records, however, has made our dreams a reality; the label recently announced that the three aforementioned artists-- along with Sarah McLachlan, Elvis Costello, Emmylou Harris, James Taylor, and tasteful others-- will be featured on a forthcoming Joni Mitchell tribute record, aptly titled A Tribute to Joni Mitchell. It's due out this spring.

In addition, Billboard.com reports that Mitchell recently spent a few weeks recording new material in Los Angeles, though exactly what she plans to do with the new tunes has not been confirmed.

A Tribute to Joni Mitchell tracklist:

01 Sufjan Stevens - "Free Man in Paris"
02 Björk - "Boho Dance"
03 Caetano Veloso - "Dreamland"
04 Brad Mehldau - "Don't Interrupt the Sorrow"
05 Cassandra Wilson - "For the Roses"
06 Prince - "A Case of U"
07 Sarah McLachlan - "Blue"
08 Annie Lennox - "Ladies of the Canyon"
09 Emmylou Harris - Magdalena Laundries"
10 Elvis Costello - "Edith and the Kingpin"
11 k.d. lang - "Help Me"