shakahislop

it's an affective state that we try to raise one another to. it's hard to get there without a collective effort. being closed off is the default.

it feels great to be open. but there is a lot that needs to be in place to get there. not least time and encouragement

version

I'm not particularly open and I often feel other people are putting on a performance of openness, not that I can describe what someone being genuinely open would look like. I just feel so much of any interaction is performance, people copying the way they've seen characters behave in media, people doing what they think you're supposed to do in a given situation, using the words they think they're supposed to use. I don't know how you avoid it though, just seems to be the way it works. We learn from each other.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
When I think of a bunch of artists I admire, I think it was their inability to close themselves in the way the OP is getting at that made them what they were. Sun Ra, Joni Mitchell, Jimi Hendrix, could make a looong list but those three are a decent cross section. Did it lead to suffering or self abuse? Of course, it's part of the package. Can lead to an early end, too. The world doesn't cater to those types in the way an idealist such as myself would hope, and in the end it's to our own detriment. But it's the way it is, so those who are placed on the artist's path basically have no choice but to go through the storm, or just spend less time on certain toxic web forums. Nah j/k, but I guess they're either lucky with the people they end up surrounded with or not. Going it alone doesn't work, not with your head in the clouds, so you just hope whoever or whatever it is sends you some good reinforcements.

version

One indicator's if someone picks up on your language and starts to use the same words and phrases as you. Accent's another. Some people will start to unwittingly take them on. I remember reading somewhere that Beckett never lost a hint of his despite so much time abroad and it made absolute sense from reading his fiction. A very closed off man, despite being an artist. Paradox of repeatedly opening up about and expressing how closed off he was.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A very closed off man, despite being an artist.
Is this really all that paradoxical, though? I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite common in artists, especially those in the auteur mould, rather than those who are part of a 'scene' where everyone is (at least in theory) constantly exchanging ideas and influencing each other (or at least ripping off the trailblazers).

version

Is this really all that paradoxical, though? I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite common in artists, especially those in the auteur mould, rather than those who are part of a 'scene' where everyone is (at least in theory) constantly exchanging ideas and influencing each other (or at least ripping off the trailblazers).

I think it is. An artist expresses themselves, which is the opposite of being closed off. You're revealing yourself to an audience. Someone like him who's revealing how closed off he is puts themself in a strange position.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I think it is. An artist expresses themselves, which is the opposite of being closed off. You're revealing yourself to an audience. Someone like him who's revealing how closed off he is puts themself in a strange position.
But you could be a one-way valve, generating all your own ideas ab initio and then broadcasting them to the world.

I'm not saying this is how, say, Aphex Twin operates, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was how he likes to think of himself.

Reactions: sus

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Neither of my folks’ accents shifted much through life

Had an uncle who went native on the south coast somewhere and he copped so much flack for being a wannabe Saxon at family reunions, I mean it was hilarious if he was accompanied by a new waif because the ridicule would be dialled up to 11/10 by mid morning

Respect to Beckett for knowing the difference

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Brando left himself open, often to his own detriment

Hopper was more in control/calculated about it. Could open himself when he chose, but it wasn't his base, so different info streams passed through him. Had his demons in other forms, but he probably didn't suffer in the same way Brando did

version

Brando left himself open, often to his own detriment

Hopper was more in control/calculated about it. Could open himself when he chose, but it wasn't his base, so different info streams passed through him. Had his demons in other forms, but he probably didn't suffer in the same way Brando did

Hopper still chose to perform for an audience though. Anything you do on a stage will say something about you. The only way to avoid that is to not open up at all and not get on stage. You could get up there and say I hate expressing myself, I'm lying about everything, I'm holding it all back, and that would say something about you and you'd still be revealing yourself.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I'm not saying he wasn't open, I'm just distinguishing it from the original point about the Sun Ra, Joni, Jimi types. It's a different type of open. One can't help it, the other is more in control