Grime in a pincer movement.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
I understand your concern but like someone said there's always gonna be raw shit coming up from unknowns and as far as polished goes... boy in da corner was pretty damn polished if you ask me and i was dissapointed dizzees second album was lacking some of the energy of tracks like vexed... but forgetting about sov and the like who i basically consider good pop music, i think kano's album is a great byproduct of grime artists trying to break mainstream... in spite of obvious influences (Jay-Z for one) from the us etc... i think it's an awesome and pretty honest album. i like good music... somedays its gonna be shizuo's fuckstep beats and some days its gonna be missy elliot party shit. styles will always cross polinate... it's the nature of music... it's how grime came to exist in the first place.

gumdrops

greeneyes said:
Are there any grime artists out there pushing a more dance-able take on the music?

see: ruff sqwad's underground, tracks like this are sadly few and far between though IMO (unless there's stuff out there im just not hearing)

bassnation

the abyss
gumdrops said:
see: ruff sqwad's underground, tracks like this are sadly few and far between though IMO (unless there's stuff out there im just not hearing)

yeah, that track was wicked - would love to get hold of more stuff like that. i reckon that tune could cross over to any number of scenes.

S

simon silverdollar

Danny weed's productions can be quite danceable.

slimzee is playing some crazy stuff at the moment, that's like a very hyperactive, dancey version of the 'grimm' sound, with these insanely evil basslines. that might just be the future.

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
yeah, that track was wicked - would love to get hold of more stuff like that. i reckon that tune could cross over to any number of scenes.

yep it's stunning i need to listen to that quite often at the moment to stave off my cognitive itches!

gumdrops

im dissapointed underground wasnt a bigger, more influential hit, and hasnt been recognised as being maybe the best single grime has had all year. i dont know if rapid produced it but he seems to have returned back to his normal sound since then, if that new stryder tune logan played a while back is any indication.

DJL

i'm joking
greeneyes said:
Are there any grime artists out there pushing a more dance-able take on the music? The best moments for me are always those when the mc is blazing away and the beat makes me want to move. This seems to be happening less often these days.

I reckon Slimzee, Plasticman, Rossi B & Luca and Mac 10 play a more danceable selection, any others???
EZ was playing a good mix up of UKG, Grime, House and even Hardcore a little while ago but he seems to have gone off the radar.

owen

i'm glad to see people loving 'underground', definitely my favourite grime track in aaages as well (hence makes me feel less clueless on this subject ;) )- those shivery, whispery voices in the background, brrr...

jack

'underground' much less of a mc-showcase tune than much of the stuff out. You can barely hear stryder's lyrics, it's more about overall sound.

mms

sometimes
jack said:
'underground' much less of a mc-showcase tune than much of the stuff out. You can barely hear stryder's lyrics, it's more about overall sound.
i love it it's like a race from the first bar he barely takes a breath - and the production is lush, all those funny noises - its so dense it doesn't matter that it does fuck all .

mms

sometimes
gumdrops said:
the rossi b and luca more 2 da floor vol 3 mix on their website is great.

rossi b and luca are awesome,not always into what they play but their skill and energy is wicked - that set with rico - i think it was just after he came outta jail is just amazingly good.

hey they mix up 4x4 and grime is that anti purist too?

Last edited:

jack

I wouldn't really think that grime is 'threatened' by grimm/fwd, because they have two entirely different purposes. The words/phrases associated with grimm, ('immersion', 'come meditate on bass weight') (more the dmz/ hatcha end, rather than vex'd et al admittedly) are all linked to a sonic emphasis. Kind of a mind/body dissolving ritual experience, a contemplative haven away from (but also well within) the city. It's more in cahoots with techno in this way.

UKHH is more about personalities, which is why it can clash with grime. An mc can satisfy his own requirements over hip hop beat or grime. UKHH also shares much much more of the same 'cultural space' with grime... the big showcases, channel U, RWD mag, UKHH being marketed as being linked to grime (MItchell bros. and stuff), so yes UKHH does threaten to swamp grime. (Hopefully Kano's album stilting, and Lethal b's album doing well - as i'm sure they both will - will maybe redress the balance, and make grime more sure of it's own musical identity, and take pride in reproducing this identity in future)

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
grimm - kind of a mind/body dissolving ritual experience

This thought has occurred to me too, dubstep as a blank, texture-full music absorbed by osmosis, sucked in as greedily as the weed all those dubsteppers smoke.

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
This thought has occurred to me too, dubstep as a blank, texture-full music absorbed by osmosis, sucked in as greedily as the weed all those dubsteppers smoke.

i would'nt say its mind and body dissolving at all - its quite physical and more body priming that disolving.
All that bass changes your physical environment as it does bizarre things to your septum, your ribcage,your batty. The music has ghosts - as i saw when a bloke who had left a can of beer on the corner of the loo where he was having a pish noticed. His beer had summersaulted halfway across the room on account of the low end freqs.

as for the grim term, thats just bollocks - some of iits warm and sensual, spacious. some of it is pointillist nocturnal and tense.Some of it's not very good. ;)
Some of the breaky stuff is more gnarly (moi boi) but thats about it .

Last edited:

gumdrops

jack said:

this is the thing - most grime beats are made so obviously with the dominance of the MCs in mind, that the beats are merely functional. they dont stand up on their own. you could argue this has been the case since ice rink or whatever, but that beat has a lot of things happening in it - its busy and trickily programmed - so its not resting on the MC alone for its appeal. it also helps that stryders vocals arent mixed annoyingly high in the mix to the point where the beat is drowned out. i find it a bit annoying when beats that suffice on their own terms are mixed so low - even on a song like trims boogieman, you cant hear all the intricate developments in the beat so good cos the voices are so loud.