Grime in a pincer movement.

gumdrops

but not all grime 'songs' are based on previously released instrumentals are they? i could be wrong here of course, but for every track like boogieman that uses the haunted beat, there seems to be a ton of other tracks that dont use ready-released beats. im talking about those ones.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Haunted only came out about 3 months after boogeyman vocal did.

Most grime tunes are on already existing instrumentals, seeing as about 3 artists actually have the power or inclination to ask for a beat to be made specifically to vocal and not have it played anywhere as an instrumental first.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
I have to agree with with Woebot in claiming that Dubstep sounds more 'polished' than Grime. Perhaps 'classy', 'polished' and 'professional' are not exactly the right terms but there is is a qualitative difference between the two that could be expressed in similar terms.
I think in some ways the reason the FWD heads on this thread are reacting so negatively to their music being called 'polished' and the like is because they like to see it as raw and unpolished just as Grime heads do. And I don't want to slag off the sound at all, since I see some pretty interesting stuff in the FWD tracks. Be that as it may, the FWD tracks seem to concern themselves more with texture and sonic-depth than the brutalism of Grime which feels immediate in terms of how unprocessed it sounds. Dubstep has more of an affinity to previous genres of dance music in it's attention to being 'trippy' and immersing you in sound where as Grime just sounds like it's hitting you with noise. I see Grime as a lot closer to the jack tracks of early House or Hardcore Jungle Techno's slap-dash sampling and S-1000 sub bass.

nomos

Administrator
simon silverdollar said:
slimzee is playing some crazy stuff at the moment, that's like a very hyperactive, dancey version of the 'grimm' sound, with these insanely evil basslines. that might just be the future.
Has anyone been recording Slim lately? He starts up at 10 AM overhere-time and I always forget to lock in. That or the stream isn't working.

DJL

i'm joking
autonomicforthepeople said:
Has anyone been recording Slim lately? He starts up at 10 AM overhere-time and I always forget to lock in. That or the stream isn't working.

Todays show with Gods Gift on mic is supposed to be on the Rinse forum but when I try and get on the forum its saying the bandwith is exceeded. The stream was down during it as well. :(