who's going out on sunday?

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
well, i'm guessing that the "purist" label has been slapped on me. however my feelings about the bug do not come from this perspective. purists want music to stay true too a perceived set of "roots"; want it to stay clean, unsullied by outside influence. this sits badly with most genres as anything that exists solely inside its own cultural bubble is rarely worth having, but there are certain styles of music where this approach is absolute anathema by their very nature - if you have any sense and a set of ears, that is. hip-hop is one, dancehall is another. both are so intertextual that their constant, eliptical referencing, versioning and reinterpreting of the most unlikely sources is an integral part of their being, and their appeal. so, purist, me? no diggity. my critical perspective on k-mart is based solely on what *works* and what doesn't. placing the bug in an industrial/avant context makes sense, because i hear *infinitely* more of this in the music than i do dancehall. techno and reggae are just filters he uses, industrial is always the aesthetic lens. however, i think comparing him to squarepusher and aphex - who are fundamentally the snidey rich kids that many of us probably knew at school (nothing better than taking the piss out off the proles to affirm your own sense of entitlement, is there boys?) - is disingenuous. i firmly believe that he loves dancehall and thinks he's doing something special - he just isn't. also, not liking this one particular artist (for good and clearly stated reasons) does not mean that i know nothing about anything other than 100 per cent jamaican-voiced and produced reggae. accordingly, i am very familiar with stereotyp. in actual fact i think i did his first ever published interview several years back.

nah afx is the son of a miner and a nurse.
he went to a comp in a shit poor area of cornwall as it goes

bassnation

the abyss
minusone said:
yep but unfortunately a lot of people will not accept that the fact that this is true does not preclude music that is technically complex or demanding from being powerful also - the tired old punk rhetoric still gets trotted out although it's being given short shrift over in the prog thread.

no problem with that, love a lot of prog myself (the consequence of being brought up by hippy parents in the 70's)

but to be honest i've always tilted towards the amateur side of things. kids doing tunes in their bedrooms, knowing jack shit about the "proper" way to make music but really feeling it, bucketloads of passion. give me that over some blanded out authentic jazzwank any day.

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
he's rich now and is shite.

erm righto. its always a bit shady when people bring up the fact he's had alot of success.
Drukqs was far too long but it's got moments of greatness, some of his best, i understand that its possible to compare some of those tracks on the album to jungle at a massive stretch and maybe get a bit pissed of about it , but it's not some definitley comedy shit like shitmat at all, some have breaks of a kind and they are fast like jungle but the whole sound is filled with little pointilist dots and details and the album is highly emotional, not in a rushy way, some of its probably the deepest stuff he's done, production and melody wise. Anyway that stuff is only a small part of that particular record.
i don't think he's doing any of that stuff anymore as it goes so y'all can cut the liberal guilt autheticity biznizz unless you want to get upset about chicago acid and autheticity as well or something ;)

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
erm righto. its always a bit shady when people bring up the fact he's had alot of success.
Drukqs was far too long but it's got moments of greatness, some of his best, i understand that its possible to compare some of those tracks on the album to jungle at a massive stretch and maybe get a bit pissed of about it , but it's not some definitley comedy shit like shitmat at all, some have breaks of a kind and they are fast like jungle but the whole sound is filled with little pointilist dots and details and the album is highly emotional, not in a rushy way, some of its probably the deepest stuff he's done, production and melody wise. Anyway that stuff is only a small part of that particular record.

maybe its going over my head then, cos druqs is among the most clinical, emotionless music i've ever heard. i wouldn't say that about his earlier tracks mind.

in fact i was listening to digeridoo on the tube the other day, having one of those flashback rushes where you can feel your hair stand on end, even if its years since doing any ecstasy.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
mms said:
so y'all can cut the liberal guilt autheticity biznizz unless you want to get upset about chicago acid and autheticity as well or something ;)

why is it a sign of weakness "liberal guilt etc" to dislike music that's not very good and like music that's better.

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
why is it a sign of weakness "liberal guilt etc" to dislike music that's not very good and like music that's better.

you've heard em then?
yawnsville .