Before you post yet another, ask yourself

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's also the case, and it has been since the Romeo birthday bash shooting incident in about 2001, that many garage djs have reported that westminster police have a black list of garage acts. if these names are seen on a flyer, the police approach the promoter and say 'if you put this night on, we will turn up on the night and close it down.'

the promoter doesnt want to lose all his money, so stops the night. hence garage acts are pre-emptively banned from the west end, the densest concentration of clubs in the capital, and grime is further excluded from the mainstream.

this is certainly what happened to black ops' night at madamme jo jos, and probably why grime has had no 'Speed' equivalent to interest the major label a&rs.

i'm sure if opera or classical was banned in westminster a whole raft of expensive lawyers would be employed to prove it's a violation of the european human rights act or something.

DJL

i'm joking
Blackdown said:
this is certainly what happened to black ops' night at madamme jo jos, and probably why grime has had no 'Speed' equivalent to interest the major label a&rs.

I heard about this night ages ago - wasn't Deekline involved in this aswell? Never heard anything again about it until reading your post. The scene really needs a night like this - how many nights did they do, what was it like?

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Fascinating to hear just why Logan tags his mixes. And shocking that there's so much of what economists call "market failure" around grime -- people want to buy it, people want to sell it, people will do economically-sensible deals to get the product out, but the market mechanisms to make it happen don't function.

Westminster police have always been cunts. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had a garage blacklist.

And I remember someone here organising a festival in East London and being told by the cops "there'll be no garage, no grime".

----

Seems to me that loads of record buyers like grime, preferably mixed...

----

Stuff sounds better on the radio because the signal tends to be compressed, making it seem louder / more in your face, and of course distorted -- meaning your ears have to fill in the missing details. You idealise the music.

---

Big up Logan for trying to get something together. £20K is a bit steep for me. It could be done with a profit-sharing consortium where all the artists put some cash in to get it out, but that's fraught with difficulty. Yet there's a market there... one would have thought a label, maybe one of the jungle labels, would cash in with a spin-off label doing grime comps...

... except Grime 1 and 2 did OK, but maybe not that brilliantly...? (I can never remember the numbers...) That would put people off.

gumdrops

so basically while people dont seem to want to buy the actual records cos theyre more into VFM packs of DVDs and mix-CDs, based on the success of events like eskimo dance, they would turn up to grime raves where the music's live and there's PAs. i remember there was a programme on channel 4 a while back where a group of teen MCs from brixton where trying to hire out a venue for a showcase, but everytime they told clubowners their music was garage, they were turned away. i wish there was a way of getting around this - maybe if people trying to put on grime events called it drum & bass, they'd be more succesful? ;)

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I live in a country where Abu Hamza can book halls to put on seminars trying to entice young muslims to kill the infidel, but I can't get a venue to play music and give artists a place to perform live.

Putting the "Great" in Great Britain

D

droid

Logan Sama said:
I live in a country where Abu Hamza can book halls to put on seminars trying to entice young muslims to kill the infidel, but I can't get a venue to play music and give artists a place to perform live.

Maybe you should push the 'Osama bin Logan' thing a bit more then? Get Trim on the bill as well... dip into that 'radical muslims with poor reading skills' demographic... ;)

gabriel

The Heatwave
jammer live pa audio

hmm, not really at all sure where this should be posted after these various grime spam debates, but this thread seems as good a place as any...

the audio from jammer, skepta & ygc's appearance at heatwave vs mas fuego back in july is now online here: www.scandalbag.com/downloads.html

enjoy! :cool:

oh yeah, and maybe let me know if i should post this somewhere else - if so, where it should be, how i should title it and how many words i'm allowed to post about it. also, maybe tell me what minimum number of replies/discussion i need to generate in order to be allowed to post up stuff like this in the future? :eek:

bassnation

the abyss
xiquet said:
oh yeah, and maybe let me know if i should post this somewhere else - if so, where it should be, how i should title it and how many words i'm allowed to post about it. also, maybe tell me what minimum number of replies/discussion i need to generate in order to be allowed to post up stuff like this in the future? :eek:

LOL

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
xiquet said:
hmm, not really at all sure where this should be posted after these various grime spam debates, but this thread seems as good a place as any...

the audio from jammer, skepta & ygc's appearance at heatwave vs mas fuego back in july is now online here: www.scandalbag.com/downloads.html

enjoy! :cool:

Well done, you've killed discussion on another thread. Good work! :)

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
I don't see how that killed the discussion... unless there's some rule I'm unaware of that dictates you can only reply the comment directly before yours.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think there SHOULD be a "shameless self promotion/i heard this and it's f8&king awesome, you should check it out" style MIX and MP3 section on here.

Personally, I would be checking that section out alot and posting there, and people who aren't interested could just stick to the standard music thread.

I don't like mix links and gig notifications being combined because there are people from many countries on here so gig posts are obviously only gonna be of interest to a small proportion of peeps... better to have them in miscellaneous or their own section.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Hmmm, four out of the top five threads Grime again...

but at least now all the events spam has a forum of its own, the fantasy that this 'sometimes leads to interesting discussions' is finally exposed as a sham... replies 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0 etc etc.

D

droid

k-punk said:
Hmmm, four out of the top five threads Grime again...

but at least now all the events spam has a forum of its own, the fantasy that this 'sometimes leads to interesting discussions' is finally exposed as a sham... replies 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 0 etc etc.

:confused: Well I guess youve been proved right then - its almost as if most people here come straight to the 'music' page and dont know that the sub-forum exists at all! - 254 views etc... :p

Just an observation from a relatively neutral (believe it or not) position - It seems to me that the arbitrary categorisation of any topic that isnt pure 'theory' as grime/events/mix 'spam', is just a capricious and inadvisable as labelling all of the theoretical posts as '"loada theorywank this"...

dHarry

k-punk said:
Well done, you've killed discussion on another thread. Good work! :)

To be fair, he was asking where was the correct place to put it, and rather than re-direct and help him out you've just been sarcy, and actually contributed to the thread de-railment as we are still talking about this now and not following the discussion...

3underscore

droid said:
:confused: Well I guess youve been proved right then - its almost as if most people here come straight to the 'music' page and dont know that the sub-forum exists at all! - 254 views etc... :p

Just an observation from a relatively neutral (believe it or not) position - It seems to me that the arbitrary categorisation of any topic that isnt pure 'theory' as grime/events/mix 'spam', is just a capricious and inadvisable as labelling all of the theoretical posts as '"loada theorywank this"...

Personally I can't understand the reason why people would come straight to the music forum - it isn't exactly complicated, and a lot of the other forums are regularly a lot more interesting than the content can be in the music (and I was drawn here originally by the music section).

As for the theoretical threads - they aren't for everyone, but... it's pretty bloody obvious which ones they will be, isn't it?!

D

droid

3underscore said:
Personally I can't understand the reason why people would come straight to the music forum - it isn't exactly complicated, and a lot of the other forums are regularly a lot more interesting than the content can be in the music (and I was drawn here originally by the music section).

I agree. Im not sure why either. People tend to want to go straight to where the most action is iI suppose, and bookmarks tend not to get changed once made...

Ive since updated my links to go to the front page instead. (You get to see whose online at any given point there as well)