Berlin - whither should I go?

crofton

yes it was nice, i couldn't stay that long but enjoyed it, i heard the mbalax got really interesting after i left.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the open air wax treatment today was really great.
first of all, as usual - mark ernestus. heavy selection, rolling thunder bass and echo beats. the perfect dance music. godfather dj for me.
haven't check much of mark ainley, perhaps he played later.
burnt friedman started with some top selection of ethiopiques stuff, old indian vinyls, gamelan, flavoured with non-place style dub.
african guests were ok, but sometimes the music was too heavy - too many layers, too many drums.
wasn't able to check any dubstep - why should i, after the tremendous dub part?
a question to those who perhaps where there. why people aren't dancing? what's wrong? i guess dub is made for skanking.

does this happen often in berlin? if so, must schedule my next visit to coincide...

out1

not reconciled
this was a carnival special, open air.
normally it's indoors in horst krzbrg, a very good venue with massive killasan soundsystem.
it normally happens around the end of the month (23-25).
the line-up is different, but mark ernestus plays dub/dancehall every time.
http://waxtreatment.de/

zhao

there are no accidents
terrible that i missed it. Mr. Friedman's set sounds wicked from description, and the mbalax...

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Crap question, but whats the weather like in June ?
Its looking like we will be fairly poor for the few days we have over there. So a day or two sculking round the park drinking cheap wine is on the cards.

zhao

there are no accidents
Berlin date July 2:
Picture19.png
Picture21.png

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Position Normal Berlin debut

...weather is very good at the moment and looks set to stay that way.

I've had a hand in organising this - Position Normal aka Chris Baliff playing with Amp2 at Madame Claude next Monday (14th). Come down and say hi, won't you?

n128328577191954_9614.jpg

vimothy

yurp
Planning on hitting Berlin later this summer. I'd like to go to Berghain but have been told that it's impossible to get in to unless you are German and gay or playing there. Is this true?

4linehaiku

Repetitive
No. Consensus seems to be: Don't go at 3am, don't act like a loud obnoxious tourist in the queue, don't go with a massive group of people, bring a German friend if you have one. Then you might get in. I've also been told that knowing who's playing is a good idea, but all the times I've been turned away I never even got to open my mouth, so I'm not convinced by that one.
I reckon the best idea is to have a back up plan, then if you don't get in it's no big deal. Still fucking annoying though, I felt like a right twat the first time I got turned away. Definitely puts me off going there, but unfortunately I think that's the point.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
If the line up is really special, which it probably will be. Have good dinner and a early night Saturday.
Then head down Sunday morning and stay still Monday :D
The garden is open for the summer now too

You should have no hassle getting in any time after 8am,and there should be no queue.
He might ask you " how many ? " in german. So as long as you can reply you should be grand

alec.tron

Creature of Meat and Hair
hmm.. all the general things that might get you refused are mentioned... so don't get there late, don't be obviously pissed & don't have a huge/touristy crowd.
if you're really eager, dress like his 'models'...heh.
SvenMarquardt.jpg

http://marquardtfotografie.com/

you shouldn't have any problems on sub:stance though I would think...

l_65d80dadd86243828c13ea9411fcb19a.jpg

l_8f319484b29e4c2baace2121bbc3e964.jpg

does anyone know if Mount Kimbie is a live set ? would have surely been advertised as such on the flyer.... but then, a DJ set is somewhat less fitting the album release init ?
c.

zhao

there are no accidents
this friday i'll be playing kwaito and SA house with a couple other djs at the nice little club in Mauerpark for the Kickoff.

watch game - big screen - beer garden - Zulu Bass. :)

Mauersegler/Tandoori [Bernauer Str. 63/Mauerpark]

dumbflux

Going to Berlin on Wednesday for Fusion Festival (Rumours so far as to line-up include: Mathias Kaden, dOp, Funkwerkstatt, Dieter Moebius, Cooly G, Ikonika and loads more) then going to be sticking around until July 18th. Anything Dissensusers could recommend? I used to live there last Summer so I'm looking for info about specific nights that might go under my radar, rather than clubs etc.

Leo

it has happened a thousand times in a thousand cities. yawn.

someone should write a story about shit neighborhoods that stay shit and cheap. or ones that go downhill, from cool to shit.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Or areas that have never been cool, but are also nice to live in.

While I agree that the gentrification process has of course happened a million times before, Berlin's particular trajectory seems fairly singular, no, as a long-standing mecca for so many people from all over the world wanting to live cheap in a big European city in a way they couldn't elsewhere?

Last edited:

crofton

I think Berlin was singularly isolated from the pressures that made rents go up in other capital cities a lot in the 80s and 90s. Finally (unfortunately) these pressures have caught up with it. It's kind of a miracle it lasted so long, still.

[Full disclosure: I'm probably an ex-Neukoelln gentrifier]