Grime Spam

Do you like Grime Spam?

• I really like Grime Spam. It's really great.

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Yeah I agree with you Woebizzle. Its pissing me off.

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters

bassnation

the abyss
WOEBOT said:
Anyway. Lets leave it like that. Logan and Luca as far as I'm concerned can keep on posting in music because its relatively rare that they post mixes (and Logan is a great contributor all round), but this is supposed to be Discussion Forum.

i'd much prefer to see mixes posted in this forum, its one of the big reasons why dissensus is such a good site.

with other sites that ghettoise the audio into a sub forum, people miss stuff. mixes and tunes are the very fabric of any self-respecting music forum and they should not be buried under the metaphorical carpet.

and light moderation imo is better than constantly questioning which direction the site is going in. you build a community by shared interests and values, not by imposing order from above. if you do it right, a community can be self-policing. its hard to get the balance right between guiding and shaping the vision, to being heavy handed - have seen many moderators struggle with this.

having said all that, this is one of the few forums i still read and i think you've done a great job. don't want to carp about what i consider to be minor things when this is so obviously a labour of love.

marc

Last edited:

3underscore

bassnation said:
with other sites that ghettoise the audio into a sub forum, people miss stuff. mixes and tunes are the very fabric of any self-respecting music forum and they should not be buried under the metaphorical carpet.

and light moderation imo is better than constantly questioning which direction the site is going in. you build a community by shared interests and values, not by imposing order from above. if you do it right, a community can be self-policing. its hard to get the balance right between guiding and shaping the vision, to being heavy handed - have seen many moderators struggle with this.

I kind of agree with the sentiments of this - at the same time, I would like to appeal for people to be judicious in their mixes. I am more referring to dubstep mixes where several have exactly the same tunes in a different order and things. I mean, I know there are only x tunes out and stuff, but I do find it a touch tiresome to see them repeated over and over.

I suppose this could be considered encouraging some invention rather than discouraging mixes and the effort involved!

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
thanks man! im really looking forward to them {still}.. haha..

also, another thing to realise is that although many spam threads may not get many posts, most of the feedback i've had has been through private messages, emails or in other threads. im assuming most others are the same.

i think that message board 'natural selection' is fine, its not like we have someone posting their weekly event up or, like most breakcore boards, the scourge which is proteus soiling our discussion area.

bassnation

the abyss
3underscore said:
I kind of agree with the sentiments of this - at the same time, I would like to appeal for people to be judicious in their mixes. I am more referring to dubstep mixes where several have exactly the same tunes in a different order and things. I mean, I know there are only x tunes out and stuff, but I do find it a touch tiresome to see them repeated over and over.

I suppose this could be considered encouraging some invention rather than discouraging mixes and the effort involved!

yeah, this is why i haven't done a dubstep / grime mix - i've certainly got enough tunes to do it and i'd try to do something original with the source material (like remix some of it for the mix) - the problem being there are just sooo many good dubstep mixes out there from people much deeper into the music than i am.

not sure what could be added, so i've left it alone.

nomos

Administrator
bassnation said:
i'd much prefer to see mixes posted in this forum, its one of the big reasons why dissensus is such a good site.

Actaully, though I called for a sub-forum, I have to agree.

Same on Marc's second point. I know it's not easy keeping a forum going.

I'll admit, I got my back up because this thread started right on the heels of my "Hotflush and NA grime profiles" thread which I was hoping would generate some discussion but which no one has responded to. Given that I metion Riddim.ca features on here maybe once every three months or so, and I post here more than most, I don't feel like I'm spamming.

It's moot now and all's well but that's what I wanted some clarfication on.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
I still think Miscellaneous is the wrong place to put Music though (EG: the latest from DJL). :confused:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Ah, I think I see Matt's point, now.

And of course, I echo the sentiments expressed about the quality of Dissensus -- it's far and away my favourite forum. Matt's done a brilliant job and created something unique.

Maybe there is an issue with, well not spam exactly, but semi-promotional posts from people who don't post regularly. It's not detrimental to my enjoyment of Dissensus -- at least, not yet, and I can see why Matt might be concerned at any great growth in these sort of posts. I don't think it's the sort of thing that one can make hard and fast rules about, but at the same time Dissensus is underpinned by a certain ethic of community and generosity. This might be at odds with too much posting of mixes which are not accompanied by wider engagement with the forum, especially those which are obvious cross-posts.

Maybe one answer is to have a dedicated Mixes forum next to the Music forum for general mixes. At the same time, regular Dissensus posters who've done a mix but also want to write something substantial about it to generate more discussion can make a judgement about whether it merits inclusion in the Music forum. This would put the onus on mix posters to take responsibility for how they use DIssensus.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Actually, this is probably the only subforum I would support.

I still think that we could happilly merge thought and politics etc, but an audio forum would make more sense than sticking mixes etc in to Miscellaneous.

Woebot

I'm more than happy for people who only post the odd mix (once a week?) to post in Music. ESPECIALLY if they are regular contributors to the forum.

Its just when people who havent contributed anything other than a solid stream of mixes fill up Music with these threads. Look at this way. You drop by as a lurker at Dissensus. Check the Music forum, and its CHOCKABLOCK full of what appears on the face of it to be promotional material. Major turn off.

Its just a case of balance.

Tha Megatron

I'll admit...I myself am guilty of Grime spam. But I figure that I would try to reach out to folks around the US and the world who might be interested in copping a mix cd who might not have heard about it in San Francisco. I think what might throw people off (I was thrown off too) is seeing a Music section thinking that anything music related could be posted there and Misc. section was for talking about random stuff that didnt fit into any of the catagories. Anyways id vote to keep the spam going...as long as it isnt advertising Grime Vitamins or Grime Cereal.

from now on though I'll try to post mixes or anything related in the Misc. section. Sorry for the spam-a-lot.

mega

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Hahaha, Woebizzle got mercked on his own poll. Not quite the result you were looking for eh? More grime spam!

dominic

Beast of Burden
have one section called "music criticism" or "music theory" or "music discussion" or whatever

and then have another section, directly below music discussion on the main dissensus page, for things that are more in the nature of music promotion (mixes, party announcements, etc) -- called "music promotion"

and then merge politics and thought sections

and keep the miscellaneous section for odd topics

so the list of forums on the main dissensus page might read like this:

MUSIC DISCUSSION

MUSIC PROMOTION

THOUGHT & POLITICS

TECHNOLOGY

ART

LITERATURE

FILM

NATURE

MISCELLANEOUS

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
dominic said:
have one section called "music criticism" or "music theory" or "music discussion" or whatever

and then have another section, directly below music discussion on the main dissensus page, for things that are more in the nature of music promotion (mixes, party announcements, etc) -- called "music promotion"

and then merge politics and thought sections

and keep the miscellaneous section for odd topics

so the list of forums on the main dissensus page might read like this:

MUSIC DISCUSSION

MUSIC PROMOTION

THOUGHT & POLITICS

TECHNOLOGY

ART

LITERATURE

FILM

NATURE

MISCELLANEOUS

This doesn't make ANY sense... Why collapse thought and politics together, when they get more posts than art, literature, film and nature put together? If you insist on merging fora, though I don't really see the case for this, then surely art, literature and film could go into one?

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
SIZZLE said:
Hahaha, Woebizzle got mercked on his own poll. Not quite the result you were looking for eh? More grime spam!

Yeh, that's probably because most people who hate grime spam have ignored the thread, because they ignore anything with the word 'grime' in it. :)

dominic

Beast of Burden
k-punk said:
This doesn't make ANY sense... Why collapse thought and politics together, when they get more posts than art, literature, film and nature put together? If you insist on merging fora, though I don't really see the case for this, then surely art, literature and film could go into one?

it's not to do with the number of posts, but the content of the posts

(by your logic, we should have two forums -- music and everything else, so as to keep the numbers as close as possible)

if you look at the posts in the politics forum, most could just as easily have been put in the thought forum, and vice versa

art, literature and film, by contrast, are discrete categories

(and b/c woebot seems reluctant to add a new forum, i'm suggesting a reorganization plan that would not increase the total number of forums)

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
WOEBOT said:
I'm more than happy for people who only post the odd mix (once a week?) to post in Music. ESPECIALLY if they are regular contributors to the forum.

Its just when people who havent contributed anything other than a solid stream of mixes fill up Music with these threads. Look at this way. You drop by as a lurker at Dissensus. Check the Music forum, and its CHOCKABLOCK full of what appears on the face of it to be promotional material. Major turn off.

Its just a case of balance.

I have to say that I'm impressed with the mixes people post, some of my favorite things to listen to are mixes from this forum. I don't think I ever felt like there was a slew of bad self-promotion mixes being posted.

It doesn't really make sense to have them posted in misc, if you really wanted to seperate it a "mixes" sub forum of music would be better imo.

hint

party record with a siren
k-punk said:
How about a sticky mixes and announcements thread in Music then?

It's worth a try, since it seems to be the simplest option to set up.

People can get used to checking for the coloured blobs that indicate new content in each thread and if they want to discuss a particular mix in any depth they can start a new topic. Comments like "cheers" or "it's great 15 minutes in when you mash up Crackbong and Sussudio" can be PM'ed, after all.