GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yay!

ok the good news is that this thread (and it alone) has been spared the chop.

however it pisses me off a little that two topics subsequently in here, goldilocks and the essentials mix tape (surely there is a bloody essentials thread already!) could do with threads of their own.

john eden has magnaminously agreed to splinter off stuff which isn't straight-up gossip into new threads but don't make his task a chore.

the trim soulfood thread is an awesome start. c'mon lets bring grime out of the ghetto.......or else.......

This is GREAT news. Good call. One.

Due to an administrative error, FWD>> have accidentally booked some grime acts!

event-040507.gif

Get down there and take advantage before this clerical mistake is rectified!

woah my heart just sank! didnt read the date, thought it was this friday. I had my heart set on seeing wiley live for the first time, looks like i still can! great!!

gonna rep this FWD though (havent been since the price hike/night change), i love it when they have mc's other than crazy d down there :D

i swear Afrikan boy is the worst thing to happen to music in a while. i havent heard anything so bad as "one day i went to lidl". Ever.:confused:

gumdrops

i read that ruff sqwad thing in echoes magazine. interesting. typically, they are also on that 'trying to diversify and not just do grime' angle, which i understand, as grime isnt really going anywhere commercially, but still, come on now, grime artists can NEVER cuss uk hip hop ever again after all these crappy (and they ARE crappy) ukhh tracks. doesnt look like theyre going to be doing much this year though as theyre all in uni or working (good luck to them - at least theyll have something to fall back on) but to hear rapid say he didnt seem to really rate what he did before (as everyone says these days) was quite sad. but their conclusion that all theyre doing is waiting for someone to scoop them up like a rick-rubin-of-grime was totally understandable, and i wish there was someone like that to give these artists some A&R direction, but there isnt, so i think we all know the way its going. ill try and transcribe their comments on mix-cds Vs albums but its what ive been saying for ages and just helped put my mind at ease for not wanting to buy any more mix-Cds until these artists are going to commit to doing something proper, not just some half hearted slung together 'street album' thing.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
You know what. A LOT of these artists don't rate what they were doing before even though it was ground breaking. Because they never got any credit for it. And they all believe making "commercial" tunes is the route to success.

It is a shame and a worrying mentality.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Indeed.

Ruff Sqwad productions have been amongst the most interesting things to come out of grime and a far more interesting than 90% of us hip hop/rnb...especially things like Anna. I know the critical acclaim of a few headz doesn't sell records or get you commercial success but still.

especially when it's rewarded

You know what. A LOT of these artists don't rate what they were doing before even though it was ground breaking. Because they never got any credit for it. And they all believe making "commercial" tunes is the route to success.

It is a shame and a worrying mentality.

by the buying product?

hold on...doesn't that means success and making money right?

wtf? is that the whole point of this?

exactly...there's the catch 22...which has been going on for years across so many genres of music that the only thing I do now really is just enjoy the music for what it is at the time and try and cherish it...cos being a artist or producer must really suck sometimes

*shrugs*

the ghastly crossover limbo, or whatever simon reynolds called it

i agree with gumdrops on the guidance figure idea, which is where a few of the olders can come into play.Trim seems to be bringing in new talent at the moment with his boy Crunch, and Wiley was always doing it. Its always good to be introducing new ideas, pushing the boundaries. but i dont think cherry picking some of grime's stars and propelling them through a media machine to seduce the public and generate revenue is going to do any more for the scene than the swag hip hoppy tracks.

recognition will come from innovation and quality (obviously a little luck/promotion will always be welcome) which are kind of lacking at the moment. The energy is there, skepta's onto something with his stageshow...people just need to not be worried about playing it too safe and experiment a little.

its not that the scene isnt able to put stuff out/sustain itself, its that little is getting made at the moment which would turn any heads. until then...

artists deserve reward but need to get this "im in it for the p" mentality out of their head

DJL

i'm joking
the ghastly crossover limbo, or whatever simon reynolds called it

i agree with gumdrops on the guidance figure idea, which is where a few of the olders can come into play.Trim seems to be bringing in new talent at the moment with his boy Crunch, and Wiley was always doing it. Its always good to be introducing new ideas, pushing the boundaries. but i dont think cherry picking some of grime's stars and propelling them through a media machine to seduce the public and generate revenue is going to do any more for the scene than the swag hip hoppy tracks.

recognition will come from innovation and quality (obviously a little luck/promotion will always be welcome) which are kind of lacking at the moment. The energy is there, skepta's onto something with his stageshow...people just need to not be worried about playing it too safe and experiment a little.

its not that the scene isnt able to put stuff out/sustain itself, its that little is getting made at the moment which would turn any heads. until then...

artists deserve reward but need to get this "im in it for the p" mentality out of their head

Don't underestimate people. They won't buy shit unless they are tricked into it. People have been bombarded with music like never before over the last few years and that then makes you more hungry for it. There is loads of music here that is better than 95% of what is out there. If you want to keep it going the artists need money for it. The UK is very expensive to live in. I've heard that Berlin is almost the opposite and that is why alot of minimal producers and djs have moved there.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
...but what Rapid means though, if you listen to how he's progressed as a producer / beatmaker, I can totally see how he would think that his early work was naive, it was. Everyone goes through that stage - and into the 'oh man aren't 24/36/48 tracks brilliant' and melody and learning instruments and all that stuff....then eventually they come back to the 'oh, maybe that simple shit was the bomb'. It's a natural progression, and I don't think he's making tracks purely for commerce.

I still want Rick Rubin to come on board at some point, or a UK version of him.