GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Hmm

im no longer up to date with grime. the beats are quite lacking IMO even if the MCs are still as hungry as before. kanos cd is really awful and embarassing though, barring one or two songs.just the worst most ill advised and pointless mix cd i think a grime (and i use that term loosely) artist has made. so much for his 'return' to grime.

That's crazy because to everybody that I've let hear it, they think he killed it because he even murdered some beats that heads think are completely unsalvageable (like "Crank Dat Soulja Boy"). He murdered every beat he was on which based on the aesthetic I'm used to makes it "good" but to Grime heads since he rhymed on too many "Hip Hop" or "Rap" beats it's "embarassing" and "ill advised" or a bunch of other sentiments that Sick Boy among others echoed. That's hella intersting.

One.

The problem with Kano is that his flow has got progressively worse since the Nasty days, no-one in this scene particularly cares about a soulja boy beat- or even most rap beats tbh- and when he makes the statement 'i'm coming back to grime' then pulls this mixtape, nah.
In all honestly, I just think that a grime fan could care less about the standards or aesthetic that american rap holds itself to.
We're about a UK sound. What relevance is Soulja Boy to me and why should we care if he murders it?

I'm rambling though, you know all this anyway.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
We're about a UK sound. What relevance is Soulja Boy to me and why should we care if he murders it?

This is exactly it. Kano was one of the heavyweight contributors into defining grime's sound and creating a UK MC-based street music that had an aesthetic that was different from America's, and now he has gone and started to try and appeal to that same aesthetic he influenced loads of heads to veer away from.

That's where the embarrassing bit comes from - especially in light of him saying he's "returning to grime" with this. It's like he's forgot exactly what grime is.

im not sure soulja boy's the best comparison here tho - after all crank dat shares a lot of simliarity with early grime tunes - simple,under produced, hype that came from the street up, multiple versions etc....

but im nitpicking, agree with sickboy re kano

kano putting out a mixtape is possibly the least interesting musical thing i can think of

gumdrops - if you're out of touch maybe get the 100grime tunes in 1hour radio set by Spyro ft Badness - absolutely insane

he plays some old tunes but some new ones too - that Suck Out (about 80mins in) one that gets badness all worked up is pretty good

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
John and Paul: I'd just like to say fantastic job on the blogariddims mix. Absolutely on point: brilliant track selection, seamless mixing and a great concept. It's mixes like these - well thought out ones that do a good job of contextualizing grime - that convert people over and encourage cross-pollination. I've already shown it to some friends who don't pay much attention to grime and they are already coming back saying "Who is this Trim guy?" and the like. A big part of why grime doesn't do well overseas is because people find it difficult to provide a context for it, or to determine its roots (i.e. North Americans being unable to see it as anything else than some new UK manifestation of hip hop), and I like this because, other than being a great mix in its own right, it helps people to draw the correct parallels and understand some of those standards and aesthetics they might be overlooking when trying to make sense of it.

I should point out though that in your commentary you credited the riddim for Skengman Mode/Flows to "Blessed Beats" when it's Bless Beats, but that's gotta be a typo because you get it right in the track listing.

Big up!:cool:

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Also before I forget, anyone check Kano on Westwood this week?

He's doing all of his "I'm back - return to grime" bars, gets a reload and asks Westwood who the riddim is by... it was Bless Beat's 16 Bar Rally...

WESTWOOD knew that and Kano didn't.

*slaps forehead*

mos dan

fact music

He's doing all of his "I'm back - return to grime" bars, gets a reload and asks Westwood who the riddim is by... it was Bless Beat's 16 Bar Rally...

*slaps forehead*

ROFL!!!!!!!!

btw some interesting kano&grime context from the interview i did with him last year: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1134/1381620184_4b68b050b2_b.jpg

he hadn't heard of stageshow riddim at that point, and i musta done that interview in like june or something.. it definitely wasn't new anymore :rolleyes:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
ROFL!!!!!!!!

btw some interesting kano&grime context from the interview i did with him last year: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1134/1381620184_4b68b050b2_b.jpg

he hadn't heard of stageshow riddim at that point, and i musta done that interview in like june or something.. it definitely wasn't new anymore :rolleyes:

I swear this distinction between "MC" and "artist" is so ridiculous. I think what they really mean is "artist" and "rich" a lot of the time. You were still an artist before you started making shit hip hop for mums Kano, you battycrease!

Logan

Grime Guru
ROFL!!!!!!!!

He'd spat on it on my show when it was fresh fresh fresh. So he'd know it to his ears. Just not the name.

But yeh, he really doesnt watch the scene at all.

john eden

male pale and stale
John and Paul: I'd just like to say fantastic job on the blogariddims mix.

Thanks for your nice comments, Sick Boy - means a lot to us (because you're choosy, like... ;) )

and yeah, I think that is the sort of effect we were hoping for, so great to hear!

thanks for the heads up on the typo, will sort that now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Blogariddims 40 = enjoyable

All about the Bless Beats beat... and the Maniac beat. Fiyahhh.

Funny when that anti-homo tune comes in and the vocals are supressed through the power of filtering... do you really like that version, lyrics aside?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks sick boy :) yuh broooooadd!

there's a couple of dodgy vocals that I cut lady saw and tanya stephens over and yeah, the tunes are alright, buju on good form. don't remember doing any filtering per se, just mixing and some delay.

only 2 sends in the mix.

Ach!

Turd on the Run

*slaps forehead*

Can't forget Kano and Westwood bigging up Junior Spesh! y'dun know

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I still don't know the actual name of that Rude Kid beat with the female vocal sample ("oooohoooh-oooohoooooh ahhhhhhhhhh") that is being battered by everybody.

Anyone know? If you don't know what I'm talking about it's in his Myspace player two or three times with different MCs over the top.

Rude Kid is killing it right now, moving up to Maniac/Bless Beat speeds very quickly.