GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Logan

Grime Guru
lol i was at that - so empty but jendor and ne smacked it - getting locked off at midnight by the gallery and then straight outta bethnal was on the same night wasnt it

was a live night, seems like aaaaages ago now that dc is so big

Yes. That was me.

petergunn

plywood violin
such a big idea this!

i don't really like 93 feet east as a venue, but i had a good time on saturday, and thinking back to the dc where i saw jendor and n.e. (was it?) in a room upstairs at the whitechapel art gallery, with about 30 people in attendance, i was fucking impressed really. 30 people to 800 is not half bad.

also what's the alternative to dc? how would you like to see a 100% pure grime rave in london operate, realistically? what kind of venue? i'm not being provocative, i just genuinely don't know where would be a good venue.

plastic people is still my favourite place in the world to see 'this kind of music'. which is why (a) i have spent two long years bitching about fwd line-ups being too dubsteppy, and (b) jme and maximum on friday was so awesome.

chockablock vs wow at the egg on friday is going to be a lot, as it goes.

ONLINEFLYERBBK.jpg

i am guessing Trident still makes it hard to do grime stuff in london proper...

mos dan

fact music
i am guessing Trident still makes it hard to do grime stuff in london proper...

innit. what i don't get is how 'this marcus prrrrrrrrrrrrrick' and all of bbk ended up on the same bill. some people have been smoking the peace pipe i guess, good stuff. presumably 'ayia napa story' will not be played lol. (speaking of which, trim's first bars on that track are so big - 'let me tell you the lowdown again/see flowdan and them/i'm on a different program from them')

btw yeah, that dirty canvas at the whitechapel was also the last ever straight outta bethnal (alas), seems so long ago. i seem to remember jendor and n.e. were kinda over-explaining things for the art gallery audience: 'this is called 'grime' - when you like a song, say 'brap'' etc. kode9 was in attendence as it goes.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
Is there any changes to get ravey grime-instrumentals in mp3/cd-releases (as vinyl doesn't seem to be released much anymore in this genre...)?

mos dan

fact music

big tune! seems like he's got good grime pedigree as well, related to lee brasco and tip-c (who produced tunes for kano and roll deep). is everyone in bow on grime or what? :)

the guy i met who teaches in bow said his students are all obsessed with chipmunk.. local hero business.. calls to mind blackdown's story of walking thru bow with wiley back in the day.

benjybars

village elder.
fuckin hell!

serious intrumental rape and pillage there! sick!

(although certain man is actually sellin quite a few of those on vinyl.. cough cough.. check sig.. splutter..;))

UFO over easy

online mahjong
loads of music and stuff.. but what do people think of that really? is that ok? i feel conflicted because i do torrent stuff and filesharing has been helpful, but at a scale like that, with just a huge, huge pack of instros to wade through.. i don't know what's in it but even if was the greatest instrumentals ever it'd feel strangely worthless

i've seen quite a lot of djs playing out decent, fun sets of old music purely off cds lately, like old school garage sets and stuff all off cdjs.. and im not sure what i think about it

i was on a myspace page for a big b-more producer the other day and he's selling ready packed hard drives for serato users with like hundreds of bmore, crunk, miami bass and house and stuff at $500 bucks a pop.. I mean that's might well be a scam but still.

elgato

I just dont know
i too have conflicting feelings. stuff like this definitely challenges the previous understanding of the value we place on music, or rather the way we place value on music. i think all of them in that rar mean less to me in a package like that than if i had even just a few of them on vinyl. but is that really a rational position? it is certainly a sentimental one, and one indicative of my age

a key thing here is that these tunes are out of press, and very very unlikely to be repressed, or (i think) for artists to arrange purchasable downloads

i probably won't be playing any of those in sets, but im not sure why to be honest. i know there are curious and unjustified feelings about 'authenticity', and i think they need to be separated from those about conviction and commitment - definitely part of the reason i turn at these phenomena, and the move away from vinyl towards disposable, low-price/free format is that it feels like it requires no conviction on the part of the dj. but then that is measuring conviction in terms of money, which is bullshit. and it rests on a number of other unfair assumptions about how people value things

however, while probably not playing them, i will certainly be listening to them. i would never hear a great number of those tracks, and im glad i will. and im glad that loads of people who probably never would have either will do now. plus those guys playing sick old sets off cdjs, as a result loads of people have a great time and are exposed to music they wouldn't have been otherwise...

but there perhaps lies a or the key issue in this - is it about us wanting to preserve something (or the idea of something) in the face of the mass-availability and mass-consumption of culture and cultural artifacts? if it is then i feel to a fair degree a hypocrite

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
elgato said:
i probably won't be playing any of those in sets, but im not sure why to be honest. i know there are curious and unjustified feelings about 'authenticity', and i think they need to be separated from those about conviction and commitment - definitely part of the reason i turn at these phenomena, and the move away from vinyl towards disposable, low-price/free format is that it feels like it requires no conviction on the part of the dj. but then that is measuring conviction in terms of money, which is bullshit. and it rests on a number of other unfair assumptions about how people value things

wicked post ben, especially this bit