GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

youtube channel's big logan.

I think it might be worth mentioning that those VIP2 rars, a lot of the mp3s are nowhere near 320kbps- most of them are from the old limewire days so anyone trying to play them out, boy. I'd know in a flash if you you were playing that tingz in boots.

That said, I downloaded them in an instant when I saw them a couple months ago. Nuff shit there I've never been able to find on vinyl.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Newham on Logan were very big. Love all of DEE's automobile references.

Logan! What's the electro influenced tune you drop at 2m15s on Freestyle Pt2? I've wanted to know since late 2004 - I think I even msn'd you about it at the time. Give it up

mos dan

fact music
Newham on Logan were very big. Love all of DEE's automobile references.

Logan! What's the electro influenced tune you drop at 2m15s on Freestyle Pt2? I've wanted to know since late 2004 - I think I even msn'd you about it at the time. Give it up

well given that the song before it in the tracklist is 'skankin ting', that track would have to be

PACO / UNTITLED / DUB

*removes detective hat*

very much enjoying the vids, also the newhams set specifically - footsie grinning his way through that apple tune is jokes. i don't quite understand youtube's relationship with grime - how the hell does chipmunk's 'who are you' vid have nearly 900,000 views? it's not really one of his better tunes even imho.

yeah elgato and ufo, i see what you mean about such an exhaustive collection of music being given away for free. but ultimately slackk's right, the fact that these rips are nowhere near 320s mean that i see it more as part of the great ongoing (low-quality) digital archiving of grime.. rather than a morally dubious bit of bootlegging that gives selectas tunes they don't deserve.

if djs want to play these tunes out they need to get on to benjybars great vinyl sale! ;) the mp3s are more for the edification of ppl like me, ppl who don't dj but want the tunes in a clean, unmixed format.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
yeah elgato and ufo, i see what you mean about such an exhaustive collection of music being given away for free. but ultimately slackk's right, the fact that these rips are nowhere near 320s mean that i see it more as part of the great ongoing (low-quality) digital archiving of grime.. rather than a morally dubious bit of bootlegging that gives selectas tunes they don't deserve.

the mp3s are more for the edification of ppl like me, ppl who don't dj but want the tunes in a clean, unmixed format.

Totally agree, it's not like there have been huge compilations a la acid house/hardcore/jungle of people archiving these tunes for people to buy on CD, how else is someone who doesn't buy vinyl going to even hear these tunes, or even find out what they are? Any criticism assumes a knowledge of the genre, I just don't see how you can find out about grime without downloading really.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
well you don't need to be a dj to buy vinyl (a bit of a pet peeve of mine, this), and you've still got radio, events, forums etc.. but this wasn't what i was getting at really - it's more that regardless of mp3 quality, the thought of wading through 1.2gb of instrumentals as a form of education seems like a strangely grey method of immersing yourself in a genre which isn't really about listening to instrumental tunes in isolation anyway :)

it's not moral qualms about downloading music that I have, it's more concern about this way of consuming music that downloading, and specifically downloading music in enormous archive history lesson packs like this, seems to encourage. this is entirely down the individual though and i recognise that people are often self aware enough not to spoil the music for themselves - but if it were me, and if this were my first exposure to the music in this pack, I just wouldn't find it very exciting being handed it all on a plate like that. I'm not very good at taking music out of context and appreciating it solely on merit I suppose...

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
well you don't need to be a dj to buy vinyl (a bit of a pet peeve of mine, this), and you've still got radio, events, forums etc.. but this wasn't what i was getting at really - it's more that regardless of mp3 quality, the thought of wading through 1.2gb of instrumentals as a form of education seems like a strangely grey method of immersing yourself in a genre which isn't really about listening to instrumental tunes in isolation anyway :)

it's not moral qualms about downloading music that I have, it's more concern about this way of consuming music that downloading, and specifically downloading music in enormous archive history lesson packs like this, seems to encourage. this is entirely down the individual though and i recognise that people are often self aware enough not to spoil the music for themselves - but if it were me, and if this were my first exposure to the music in this pack, I just wouldn't find it very exciting being handed it all on a plate like that. I'm not very good at taking music out of context and appreciating it solely on merit I suppose...

Yeah but aside from Logan's show, no-one else does a tracklisting, so it's nigh on impossible to find out what the tunes are, unless you're in London and around the scene. I know what you mean about out of context, but there's also the fact that people are listening to the tracks going 'oh, THAT"S what that one was called when so-an-so were MCing over it on rinse that time', y'know?

I gave up buying (most) vinyl ages ago and so I just don't go into record shops anymore, and the prospect of going into a shop and listening to tunes that I'm not going to be able to buy on CD doesn't really get me too excited lol. I think it would be pretty depressing.

There were those great 100 Grime Instrumental 4 CD packs a while back, I wish they were still going. I like listening to the instrumentals out of context, but I always did - I always wished there was a machine that could take vocals out of music.

I haven't downloaded that pack yet but I think it's amazing the way people ARE archiving this stuff, and keeping it alive. The way I listen to stuff now is in big batches on i-tunes (like folder marked 'instrugrime' or whatever) and I'll just have it on on random when I'm working, clicking over occasionally to see what the tracks are if they tickle me. Radio and vocals get in the way alot of times.

luka

IVE NEVER UNDERSTOOd the difference in downloading something for sree and getting it sencond hand. given that in niether case is the musicain getting paid/

mos dan

fact music
the thought of wading through 1.2gb of instrumentals as a form of education seems like a strangely grey method of immersing yourself in a genre

if this were my first exposure to the music in this pack, I just wouldn't find it very exciting being handed it all on a plate like that. I'm not very good at taking music out of context and appreciating it solely on merit I suppose...

i hear what you're saying - sloane's discussed most of your other points already - but i just wanted to add that i don't think this is going to be anyone's first exposure to the music!!! this is for the heads, purely, for completists or people who've always wanted a clean version of pulse eskimo but not had one. it's not going to be anyone's first experience of grime, i'm pretty sure :)

indeed, that would be grimetapes.com! ;)

nah, i agree that it's only completists tbh. If anything, acquiring them this way has made me even more determined to get the vinyls. There are a lot of these that I need to get and now i know the names, i dunno, i'm scared for my mastercard debts.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
IVE NEVER UNDERSTOOd the difference in downloading something for sree and getting it sencond hand. given that in niether case is the musicain getting paid/

the musician has been paid at some point down the line if you buy a cd secondhand though...with downloads they haven't been.

UFO over easy

online mahjong

this isn't about the musician getting paid though, i think in 2008 we're all bored of that discussion!

mos dan said:
sloane's discussed most of your other points already - but i just wanted to add that i don't think this is going to be anyone's first exposure to the music!!!

this may well be true, might not be as well.. I was just using this as an example to illustrate something i'd been thinking about a bit recently I suppose

luka

big tune! seems like he's got good grime pedigree as well, related to lee brasco and tip-c (who produced tunes for kano and roll deep).
he was at st bonns. thats the catholic boys school in forest gate that half the grime scene went to. they taught them cubase at that school. i used to play basketball in west ham park with a lot of kids that went to that school.

demolition man is one of his cousins too, if you remember this jungle classic (came a bit late in the game this one but still good)....

benjybars

village elder.
if djs want to play these tunes out they need to get on to benjybars great vinyl sale! ;) .

a sound piece of advice bruv!

one of the best things about those packs for me is that i can now put names to a fair few tracks that i wasn't 100% sure of the title..

also, aside from the bootlegging issue, HOW FUCKING GOOD ARE THOSE TUNES?!?!

seriously.

that collection really confirms how important wiley has been to grime.. and just think that the tunes there are only a fraction of how many he made around that time. badman.