GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Itchy & Scratchy

"This is a big day for independent artists as it marks the first time that musicians not affiliated with a label or royalty collection agency can collect revenue direct from a free streaming music platform. We’re very proud to now offer independent artists the same royalty opportunities as those presented to record labels acts."

http://blog.last.fm/2008/07/09/calling-all-musicians

Another avenue for grime artists to get heard and get money that'll hardly be used. Though it might be the case that whatever royalties and such they'd get via Last.fm would be paltry anyway. Every little helps? :slanted:

hint

party record with a siren
Another avenue for grime artists to get heard and get money that'll hardly be used. Though it might be the case that whatever royalties and such they'd get via Last.fm would be paltry anyway. Every little helps? :slanted:

It could be worthwhile if the artists commit to it - i.e. control leaks of their tracks.

Give someone like Logan the exclusive but make a streaming version available the next day on Last FM, instead of watching the kids on the forums rack up the plays on a Zshare / Sendspace radio rip.

Those radio rips that float about get thousands of listens.

outraygeous

can someone fill me in on whats happening in grime

i kinda lost intrest when mcs started to bring back the maccarena

c c c come with me

mos dan

fact music
No newspaper (for better, or in my view, worse) will listen to acts without PRs and take them seriously. their publications are lesser for it, but it's the way things are and probably a function of the volumes of offers they get.

this i can confirm. on a more functional level, it does make it more difficult to pitch an artist to a music editor when they don't have a copy of their new cd floating around the office. i've actually ripped and zipped mixtapes before to send to music eds, because it's either that or buying them a copy off ukrs out of my own pocket!

but by the time you're having to send music eds the music yourself, you've already lost the battle to convince them of the music's 'legitimacy'. :(

mos dan

fact music
head gone is sick, yeah.
listening to it more than any other grime release so far this year.

it is good, yeah, though imo it's further proof (as all their solo tapes are) that ruff sqwad ought to stick together. this seems increasingly unlikely though - afaik they don't have a manager these days, plus tinchy's 'stryderman' may well push him further away from the rsmd.

btw who saw this? http://music.guardian.co.uk/urban/story/0,,2289724,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=39
'how electro sent grime up the charts'

viktorvaughn

it is good, yeah, though imo it's further proof (as all their solo tapes are) that ruff sqwad ought to stick together. this seems increasingly unlikely though - afaik they don't have a manager these days, plus tinchy's 'stryderman' may well push him further away from the rsmd.

btw who saw this? http://music.guardian.co.uk/urban/story/0,,2289724,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=39
'how electro sent grime up the charts'

I followed the link from Hyperfrank, its good.

First track on Head Gone is amazing. There are some proper bangers on there, don't think it's best of the year though.

Are U Dumb 3 is growing on me to the max, there are so many good tunes. Seems like Jammer is steadily building up this pretty amazing canon of work no? Loads of humour and character in his lyrics. I like his ridiculous rhymes like 'i'm so high it's ok to call me backpacker' to to make the line end with an 'a' sounds so it rhymes.

Benny Bunter

I followed the link from Hyperfrank, its good.

Are U Dumb 3 is growing on me to the max, there are so many good tunes. Seems like Jammer is steadily building up this pretty amazing canon of work no? Loads of humour and character in his lyrics. I like his ridiculous rhymes like 'i'm so high it's ok to call me backpacker' to to make the line end with an 'a' sounds so it rhymes.

I reckon its the best mixtape I've heard this year, with the possible exception of soulfood 3. Those two mixtapes feel more like proper albums to me, much less filler than most.

What are folks' opinions of the earlier volumes of are you dumb? Haven't heard them yet

Benny Bunter

On the subject of Are you dumb 3, had radio 1 on at work today and was surprised to hear 'Technology' but with a different singer. What was it?

TRU_G

What are folks' opinions of the earlier volumes of are you dumb? Haven't heard them yet

Vol.2 is the best IMO, then Vol.3, then Vol.1

Vol.1 has lots of good tracks, but not enough features (like 2 & 3), I rate Jammer but too much of him gets annoying. 2 has the best beats

Definetly one of the most consistent series of mix cds to come from the scene

did anyone catch rise this year?

double s was there doing a live band version of from day. sounded alright cept they fucked up and handed him a dud mic half way through and he got pissed and left

jeeday jaws was on aswell. he was really good but they only left him on for 10mins

amazing to see that as soon as they started playing grime there was just a huge swarm towards the underground london tent.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Listening for the first time now, it sounds great. Is 'wildlife riddim' used on one of the tracks on the album?

Yeah it's the beat on 'I'm not one of them' but 'wildlife' is kinda pared down a bit from the excesses of that track.

I dunno if it's just me but I swear he's humming melody lines really quietly in the background of a few tracks, kinda like Glen Gould did, it's fantastic.