GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

my boy saw Skepta in Kings Cross with one of them

Russian hats looking all moody and s*** on saturday if it counts lol...

did anyone reach 'Frontline' on saturday at stratford circus? I know j2k, stryda and lioness were playing....

S

simon silverdollar

i saw Purple in Borders the other day, i think.
proof, if proof be needed, that he is a very bookish gentleman.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
One of Dem Days - Part 2

Part 2 is on Big Dada, Ninja Tunes' hip hop label.

I heard this song, from his "Live from the Breadline", off of a sampler my friend got with a bunch of records.

So, is this UK hip hop or would this be considered Grime, from a hip hop label?

Whatever it is, i thought it was wicked.

But, if it is grime, then what does Ninja jumping do for the genre?

theo

pollymarchs 4 eva
Part 2 has been around before grime existed so I guess it is UK hip hop.

On another note it would be really great if the grime artists could start selling their tunes online.
The only reason I don't pay for most of my tunes is cause there is no legit download option.
I noticed that statik has a couple up on

(correction: looks like it is the remixes from test icles - though wiley has a couple and roll deep too)
http://www.7digital.com/stores/productDetail.aspx?shop=34&product=29970&sid=319153&trackid=329713

If the next ruff sqwad mixtape (or scorcher's for that matter) was on there I would buy it in a heartbeat. Infact I have bought grime mixes whenever they have been available (radioclit etc) .

I really want these people to make money off what they are doing - because it is really fucking good - and it is kind of sad to see them be so slow on this aspect of the business. CD sales don't mean shit when you are missing out on customers in Germany, France, Japan and the US and where ever else has a grime following.

http://www.7digital.com lets you keep 80% of the profit - compare that to commercial CD sales which are virtually profitless for small artists.

Last edited:
theo..I feel you....

I have said this already but it seems ppl just can't be bothered and there's not much excuse for that in this day and age really especially when the information and means are out there and available. No actually there is none. It seems in the rush to make 'p's' ppl forgot to actually learn a lil'...

Saying that I know Maxwell D has a website you can buy his stuff off and Aftershock have a site but their store ain't up yet.

Brokeman

Living Too Late
question for all the old UKG heads...

on the garage rap vol. 1 comp there's a track by a crew called TMS feat. Ultimate Impact called "set the mic alight". it's still a favourite of mine for the old garridge style of party track, like maxwell d's "serious" or old genius cru.

problem is, i know NOTHING about them and have never heard anything since. can anyone tell me if they know whether this track was ever released as a single? was it a choon that got played at the raves? and who were they; did they just disappear or turn into another crew?

long-term mystery for me... any help is appreciated.

tate

Brown Sugar
Fiddy's blog gets the big-up in an online-only interview with Sasha Frere-Jones conducted by the New Yorker, in which he discusses the reception of British music stateside.

Last edited:

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
not sure if this should be in "Where did Grime go wrong..?"

Any word on why Kano pulled out of the Intonation festival in Chicago at the end of June? There was some mention in that other thread about him having management problems, or something.

He was the real reason i was going.......

petergunn

plywood violin
so i finally got Da 2nd Phase, oddly enuff on the same day i got my promo copy of the new Streets LP.

on first listen, Wiley's new CD is awesome and i take back all the snide mixtape remarks i made (tho putting "oi" on there was an amateur move and it might stop some from taking this CD seriously as a real album and not a mixtape). for the most part, the songs are amazing, with only a couple stiffs. stuff like "johnny was a badboy" needs a vinyl press! def. looking forward to giving this a more detailed listen.

the streets record is pretty bad. it's like a british version of all the worst parts of the most maudlin eminem songs ("cleaning out my closet" and whatever that one is that goes "my girl knows that her daddy's a soldier") with even worse rapping... the whole "look at me, warts n all, i'm honest!" thing gets tired really fast when that's all there is to it... i mean, ANYONE can tell you "hey, i'm an asshole"... also, the off key, speak-singing choruses have to stop... and, wait, I THINK THIS GUY DOES COCAINE! i have to say, while i was not a fan of the first Streets record, i "got" it, and could understand the appeal.... but, listening to a guy talking over beats that sounded like they took 5 minutes about doing too many lines = BORING

Finally!

well one label has finally taken my 'advice' - Aftershock now have an online store. Its in its early stages but its a start....prices are a bit funny - but have I been looking at Itunes too much. Anyway are they the first grime/garage/nukg label to do this?

www.a-shockmusic.com - what does Dissensus think?

heard Logan's show yesterday. Skepta was giving me jokes with the confidence but him and JME are important guys....future breakthrough artists.....but Sama what brand of fresh air were you talking saying "artists have to bring a CD in with artwork - none of this silver CDR business" - NO NO NO - this ain't Hip Hop, this ain't a big scene....don't set the levels so high so that many ppl can't compete...I remember when I heard something like that on one Westwood show years back when I was young - I felt like my measly ass couldn't compete with anyone - don't do that to the youngers of today - the most important thing is that the music is of an high standard NOT the packaging...don't you really wanna be the grime Wastewood lol?

petergunn

plywood violin
Tactics said:
but Sama what brand of fresh air were you talking saying "artists have to bring a CD in with artwork - none of this silver CDR business" - NO NO NO - this ain't Hip Hop, this ain't a big scene....don't set the levels so high so that many ppl can't compete...I remember when I heard something like that on one Westwood show years back when I was young - I felt like my measly ass couldn't compete with anyone - don't do that to the youngers of today - the most important thing is that the music is of an high standard NOT the packaging...don't you really wanna be the grime Wastewood lol?

i'd have to disagree. considering how many people just burn cd's and download shit, these days having nice packing is one of the few ways to get people to buy a cd, as opposed to just burning it off their friends. these days w/ photoshop, it's not that hard to put together a decent looking package.