GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

swears

preppy-kei
too many hipsters telling me that grime is dead cause they've decided its a fad

What's a hipster anyway? I think it's all relative. Some fella who listens to Coldplay and Embrace might think I'm "trendy" for liking non-chart dance music in general.
Where do you draw the line between a genuine (and perhaps slightly nerdy) love of a genre like grime or dubstep, and someone "pretending" to be really into it for hipster cred?

Actually a lot of fashionista types I've met who aren't really into music could talk for hours about fashion/style....like I say, it's relative.

outraygeous

the tarquins who are saying grime is dead can suck out

they are probably happy that grime is not in their area (old street/shoreditch) because they have never felt so intimidated in their lives

wacemen

Cornflake

yeah well just google hipster and you'll figure it out lol...

i know djs that play a mash up style where they play alot of different genres and they would tell me they/announce they played grime along with like 7-8 other genres and never heard it...then they informed me that grime had nothing good in the last year and they were down with the sound since 2003 etc....where i think some of the best grime tunes being made are being made right now.

I know that there arent as many "anthems" but i think thats because there are so many solid tunes that have been coming out and some solid underground grime artists that are coming up.

tox

Factory Girl
Cornflake said:
too many hipsters telling me that grime is dead cause they've decided its a fad

But is this really any suprise given the exposure the scene's been getting recently...?

Just to add a bit of a different theory to this whole debate, how about the idea that Grime hasn't died, but successfully faked its death? Deep breath, this is gonna be a long one...

However much one might protest, its fairly clear that the Grime scene isn't as healthy as it was this time last year. The strange thing is that the current atmosphere has been nurtured by the very people who make up the scene. To me, it seems that over the last 12 months the people involved in and surrounding the music have done nothing but push away all interested parties.

Case 1. Rinse FM: Great station, and without a doubt the best way to get access to the newest and most exciting Grimey music. Shame then that next to no-one gets to hear it. There's no denying that they're up against the odds, being a pirate and all, but they do themselves and the artists no favours. For one thing the webstream is constantly broken, and when its working the quality so bad its hardly worth tuning into. There's no listen back function, and the recorded sets area on their forum is too exclusive for words (I've been a member for years, but still have no access to this exclusive little club. This is despite the fact I used to rip sets - imagine what its like for newbs). It seems as if the people over there actually want to push away outsiders. How is someone in Birmingham, let alone Japan or the USA supposed to get into the music if access if blocked at every turn? Simon's been raving about the Roll Deep set from last week, and its all well and good him saying "i heard it on radio innit" but how about the rest of us? More crews should follow Logan's lead and up their own sets as a podcast, for the purpose of self promotion - if they actually want the attention that is. Ok, BBC and Kiss are trying to get on the Grime thing, but 1xtra has boring DJs and lacks that MC driven hyyyyype, which is what Grime is about for me.

Radio is just one drop in the ocean of what's wrong with the scene and it really frustrates me. There are too many examples to list of the ways that Grime has crawled its way into this horrible elitest little box, leading the normal world to declaring it dead. This leads to the Grime-lovers smugly calling everyone who's not at the heart of the scene "hipsters", proud that the music's still their own. In the end all this crap is just getting in the way of hearing some good music.

The scene should take a look at what Dubstep's done. Opening up to a wider audience hasn't been pain-free, there've been a number of high profile casualties, but at least they're moving forward and not digging themselves a grave. Once a scene is opened up to a wider audience you can't pick and choose your fans, a fact better comprehended than ignored. Or perhaps those involved with Grime are happier with things as they are, in which case lay low for another few years and a death certificate can be issued in due time...

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
tox said:
''Case 1. Rinse FM: Great station, and without a doubt the best way to get access to the newest and most exciting Grimey music. Shame then that next to no-one gets to hear it.''

I live in Central London and never had a problem picking up Rinse.In the last few months however the signal has degenerated into an occasional weak crackle next to the crystal clear signal of True FM.

This is a great shame as the Funky House sound is currently dominating the pirates and Rinse has of late been the only real alternative to that.

LDOTMAN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THERES THE NEW VIDEO featuring J2K,Shystie,Durtty Goodz,Syer Barz,Hyper Fen and Marcie Phonix

look out for my new mixtape out in August

tune into Dan Greenpeaces XFM show this Saturday and Westwoods show a week Saturday to hear some new tracks im a live guest

big up

L DOT MAN

www.myspace.com/ldotmanmusic

Cornflake

no i get exactly what your saying. Problem is that grime is a mc oriented scene so when you compare to dubstep i find that its alot easier to market dubstep overseas especially. Lots of ppl that are into both scenes, especially over here have started getting into dubstep. Firstly alot of the ppl that like "intelligent drum and bass" if you know what i mean...the more techno sounding dnb have flocked to dubstep for the sound. Also ppl can download tunes and just dj the set. Where if i take my records and do a grime set the live mcs are missing.

Promotional work is lacking as well. I mean there are rumblings from local talent putting together there spin on what a grime show is suppose to be. Ive missed more of them other then the headliners because i dont have the time/ able to get there. Too bad that wiley/jme got cancelled here in Toronto due to Blackmarket not thinking that with the club change (didnt open yet) could have them break even....which is prolly true.

Btw...self promotion alert
Just put up my snippet of Roll Deep live at Knitting Factory in August 2005
www.myspace.com/cornflake81

Let me know what you think....cheers

Cornflake

no it wasnt that one..it was a pitchfork review of the show..but im too lazy to search for it.
But i felt for the artists especially roll deep since the fans literally had no care for the show...maybe like 20 ppl were there cause they really wanted to be. The rest really seemed like they were there to be there and be seen at a cool new trendy show. I was getting into it and ppl were like lookin at me at some point cause i looked crazy?? hardly but they were too busy sipping there gin and tonic and working the crowd....
its hard when its your first time over as a crew and your style of music is heavily based on the crowd interaction and you have none.

Now kano had it alot easier...firstly one of production for his tunes is by diplo who the nyc crowd loves cause they know him and plays that hipster mashup that they all seem to love. So when they heard it they knew it cause he plays it obviously. There was a sense from one show to the other than ppl were excited to see kano, where ppl were just there to go to a club where roll deep is playing because there suppose to be something cool from england.

Ive read a few negative feedback of roll deep's performance and i dont think its just...but then again i dont know how knowledgable of the scene the reviewers are....but thats expected with more ppl that review music they arent always going to be an expert rather than just viewing what they see. And if they go by that i can understand the review.

Anyways end of rant lol....go watch my short vid clips and see...

Cornflake

notice that he says that demon was his hype man....lol incorrect

and he didnt even stay to see kano....

go read some of the comments below after what he wrote....nobody agrees with what he's saying

yes

big satan said:
has anybody heard that new akala and ms dynamite tape? is it any good?

yes it is and good value for money too being a double disc....how can naomi take two 4 years off mc'ing and still come back and be the best femc?

DJ Lioness

Tactics said:
yes it is and good value for money too being a double disc....how can naomi take two 4 years off mc'ing and still come back and be the best femc?

Her voice has changed so much though, like the aggyness is just too..... aggy?! That makes no sense but I know what I mean. And she sounds like Akala on quite a few tunes.

I know what you mean.....

DJ Lioness said:
Her voice has changed so much though, like the aggyness is just too..... aggy?! That makes no sense but I know what I mean. And she sounds like Akala on quite a few tunes.

on some parts I thought it was a man...esp. that tune w/ Nathan and Gappy Ranks. I think its supposed to make the listener be like "rah, she's still got it" but it can sound like she's forcing it though.

I'm p***** though 'cos I heard a new all female version of 'kick you out' the other day with a final verse by her which totally kills off the tune and that's not on there.