GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
rah, this thread is turning arms house!

anyway, getting back to music, anyone hear roll deep last night?? some HEAVY riddims played!! you can download it here

http://download.yousendit.com/05752942414E1073 (safe to foz @ rwd for the rip)

anyone know what the tune is playing 6mins 30secs in or the one that follows it and gets about 5 reloads?? both dutty...

then the last tune that skepta and jme go b2b on is sick:)

for those interested skepta was back at FWD last friday and according to plastician will be down there a lot more in the near future. big news!

Also, think you could re-up that Roll Deep set mate? Link is dead.

Cornflake

bah...I cant stand Tom Breihan. That article he wrote on the two grime shows in new york is still in my memory. Had to be one of the worst representations of what was doin ever.

Therefore i never listen/read anything he writes....

finally got that Guns and Roses album that has been hyped but not enough....definately solid..one of my favs in a while...worth the wait

I made no secret of the fact that I am from NZ and I still fail to see the relevence of that to the points raised. We have young hiphop bloods and crip murders over respect and turf here in NZ. The factors involved are usually drugs, low socio economics and lyrical beef condoned by hiphop culture. Isn't that the same thing as grime ?

Of course you are absolutely right tox and sig. I really should know my place and not comment on anything outside of my own national borders. Shame on me for having an opinion on everything from breakbeat to metaphysics to grime to iraq and the US midterm elections. Seeing as how i don't live there I should just mind my own business eh ? Perhaps we all should mind our own business and only talk about what we know not what we think. Perhaps too we should all qualify our half arse postions with footnotes and a bibliography so there can be no dissensus. What an exciting place to visit this place would be then :slanted:

Tactics is on the money for my reckoning. I don't think many of you are up to discussing race, class and violence objectively without feeling guilty or ashamed.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I made no secret of the fact that I am from NZ and I still fail to see the relevence of that to the points raised. We have young hiphop bloods and crip murders over respect and turf here in NZ. The factors involved are usually drugs, low socio economics and lyrical beef condoned by hiphop culture. Isn't that the same thing as grime ?

Of course you are absolutely right tox and sig. I really should know my place and not comment on anything outside of my own national borders. Shame on me for having an opinion on everything from breakbeat to metaphysics to grime to iraq and the US midterm elections. Seeing as how i don't live there I should just mind my own business eh ? Perhaps we all should mind our own business and only talk about what we know not what we think. Perhaps too we should all qualify our half arse postions with footnotes and a bibliography so there can be no dissensus. What an exciting place to visit this place would be then :slanted:

Tactics is on the money for my reckoning. I don't think many of you are up to discussing race, class and violence objectively without feeling guilty or ashamed.

mate, you really are boring.

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
anyway, getting back to music,

Has anyone listened to Tinchy´s new mixcd? It´s a lot better than Back u know, real tracks with mainly Ruff Sqwad productions (if not only).
What are people saying about JME´s Tropical cd, dropping Wednesday (if no further delays)? I think it´s a nice little sideroad for Grime, although not sure if it´s polished enough for whole cd....

gumdrops

the tinchy one is actually better than GNR2. better beats (even if they all seem to be underground part 453, which i dont actually mind, i like hearing all the variations on that song, its one of rapids best) and more focused overall. this is a boring complaint but i still wish these guys would drop the crappy midtempo track, make the mix CDs a bit tighter and drop the filler. i dont get why ruff sqwad just dont do a proper album though of their best songs to date though. they have one of the best track records in grime and probably more good songs than anyone else. a concise twelve track album with anna, tings in boots, xtra, underground, etc etc could be one of the best grime albums ever.

gumdrops

brief but interesting comment on dizzee (and i suppose grime) on nick southalls new soulseeking column:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/soulseeking/no-music-day.htm

"Punk philosophy, pop philosophy, says that music cannot just exist on a local, community level, because music must be made to be sold, to be experienced by all, or else it’s worthless. And so minority or folk pursuits are either starved or strangled—under or over-exposed depending on whether someone wants to sell them. See any culturally and financially neglected regional music projects for evidence of the former, and Dizzee Rascal’s career arc for evidence of the latter."

N

nomadologist

that is not what "punk" "philosophy" says at all. exactly the opposite is true.

and selling something does not mean it has to be "experienced by all", or by any means that it will be

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
brief but interesting comment on dizzee (and i suppose grime) on nick southalls new soulseeking column:

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/soulseeking/no-music-day.htm

Love the Kpunk quote in this, and Kpunk theorising about the kid wearing headphones, and Kpunk desperately avoiding the fact that the kid psyched him out completely and was essentially saying 'I'm bored and I'm not listening to you' and Kpunk goes off justifying it by the kid needing to know that 'the matrix' was there or whatever. Priceless.

N

nomadologist

convenient to make anyone who doesn't fall in line a dissenter. dissenters are, of course, always infantile. they just don't understand you. they are the problem.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Love the Kpunk quote in this, and Kpunk theorising about the kid wearing headphones, and Kpunk desperately avoiding the fact that the kid psyched him out completely and was essentially saying 'I'm bored and I'm not listening to you' and Kpunk goes off justifying it by the kid needing to know that 'the matrix' was there or whatever. Priceless.
I thought that was a great observation, actually.

N

nomadologist

Guybrush--do you really think he even had music on? I don't. Having had a penchant for the smartass act of defiance throughout my adolescence (and probably still have now), I think it's probably the case that he did not even bother actually putting music on. He knew the effect he was going to have and it was part of the stunt to not actually play the music.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Guybrush--do you really think he even had music on? I don't. Having had a penchant for the smartass act of defiance throughout my adolescence (and probably still have now), I think it's probably the case that he did not even bother actually putting music on. He knew the effect he was going to have and it was part of the stunt to not actually play the music.

Your public demands to know kpunk! make the kid famous!

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Spyro played an old Dizzee Rascal track in his last set and I don't know the name of it.

It's got Sharky Major on it, and it goes something to the effect of:

"we do crime for money/ dough/ crime pays/ get it you know/ have to make that paper though/ moneys low/ gotta make mo'/ diamond rings/ versace clothes/ local raves/ concerts, shows/ anything goes"

Anyone?