GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

stelfox

Beast of Burden
very VERY thin ice AGAIN.
please delete or retract this statement.

don't worry about it.
i really don't care at all.
it is just boring and stupid how every single thread gets flipped into talking about him or how ghetto new bloody zealand is - remember, this is the home of fat freddy's drop, people!
it's absolutely risible.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Guybrush--do you really think he even had music on? I don't. Having had a penchant for the smartass act of defiance throughout my adolescence (and probably still have now), I think it's probably the case that he did not even bother actually putting music on. He knew the effect he was going to have and it was part of the stunt to not actually play the music.
I don't think it matters whether he had music on or not, though the quote does imply that he did on at least one occasion, what matters is the kid's knowledge that his reality (in the form of his mp3-player) is just a quick movement of the hand away.

Guybrush

Dittohead
His sonic reality is. If he puts on his headphones and turns up the volume he controls what will reach his ears and what will not. His other senses are still hopelessly dependent on the whims of his surroundings though, and, in practice, so is his hearing sense -- somebody ripping his earphones off would instantly break his illusion, for example (and so would a loud external sound).

N

nomadologist

I'm not making the jump there required to get from what you describe to "reality," especially qua "the matrix." :)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think the brain is perfectly capable of constructing a full gestalt or at least a convincing gloss on experience from purely sonic stimuli, which is partly why so many so badly want to control their aural environments in urban centers where the surrounding audio is often so jarring and unpleasant (disharmonious). It takes a Cagean tauism few of us, especially kids hyped on media, drugs and junk food, have the patience for.

Also with a real time musical folk culture you are more literally plugging into an alternative information and reality matrix that is shared with others, an alternate consensus world view apart from and in opposition to sitting in class and listening to teach. Kid (young adult) should pay attention to KP though as I imagine he's got a lot more to offer than most of the sadly underpaid and under motivated teachers and lecturers in the British 'education' system.

very VERY thin ice AGAIN.
please delete or retract this statement.
Gimme a freaking break. The stelfox clown posts an insult at me in a grime thread for no reason. Why not publicly warn him and get him to retract his boring post and the subsequent stupid one ? Please let's not make this about me again.

When was the last time anyone read of a nu indy fop killing someone over some angsty lyrics and then thinks grime is part of the solution to youth violence or part of the problem?

If the latter then it is more than reasonable to point the finger at it, highlight a few home truths and discuss the problem.

noel emits

oh right. because the past was better. keep forgetting!

:mad:

Neither I nor Guybrush have made any reference to the past or it being 'better' at all.

nomadologist, if I may say so, you do sometimes seem to have a tendency to infer things from people's posts that are just not there.

Do you have an axe to grind here or are you just being obdurate for the sake of it?

N

nomadologist

It takes a Cagean tauism few of us, especially kids hyped on media, drugs and junk food, have the patience for.

The implication above being that, in the past, people had more patience, and that was better, or don't you think so? Because I don't.

You may say whatever you like about anything.

This is an inscription quote from Virilio's The Information Bomb:

No one can say what will be 'real' for people until the wars that are now beginning come to an end.

-Werner Heisenberg

N

nomadologist

The "matrix" being, of course, a notion culled from the principles of quantum mechanics.

DJ PIMP

it is just boring and stupid how every single thread gets flipped into talking about him or how ghetto new bloody zealand is - remember, this is the home of fat freddy's drop, people!
As a kiwi that cracks me up... I've never managed to make it through their album.

Trinity Roots on the other hand - they did south-pacific reggae with genuine soul and meaning.

noel emits

The implication above being that, in the past, people had more patience, and that was better, or don't you think so? Because I don't.

No and no. That's all your inference, I intended no such implications. What value judgements I may or may not make about the past, or patience, have no bearing on what I was saying anyway. I was just talking about what might be necessary in terms of mental stance to appreciate the raw sonic environment of the city, and why people like to listen to music on headphones.

And I think 'matrix' in this context, certainly as I meant it, is more to do with a social / ontological / perceptual matrix. It's not really necessary to bring quantum mechanics into this. :)

swears

preppy-kei
Re:Music doesn’t belong in every shop, pub, bar and restaurant we set foot in. (Big chain pubs and eateries in the UK like Wetherspoons and Wagamama have realised that we don’t want to be aurally assaulted when we go out for a drink and a meal, and they’re benefiting from “no music” policies which encourage conversation rather than stressed bellowing.) So much music is pumped indiscriminately at us that it’s no wonder people get tired of it. Music’s presence in society reached saturation point some time ago, but if you say so out loud you risk appearing as a philistine.

This is why no music day is important. We've turned all music into background muzak. And I find "old farts" like Jarvis Cocker and Bill Drummond way more interesting than your average teenager.

N

nomadologist

I understand your point, but I still don't agree.

I guess I have a hard time with things that just become definitive because one person said it, and often on message boards there can be disconnects in the way people communicate. Especially, as I've said before, because American English is idiomatically very different than British English. Tone and cadence get lost here a lot--I have noticed that when I'm just being facetious (maybe in a performatively "snide" way for effect, sending up the fact that I'm on a message board) it gets lost.

No offense meant, I hope none is taken.

noel emits

Swears - that brings up something interesting I think, and kind of ties in with kids wearing headphones, as well as The Matrix (the movie this time).

I think music can be simultaneously 'background music' AND a pirate transmission, jamming the official signal by supplanting it and providing an alternative cultural matrix. It turns out the medium is not the message. Perhaps that's the best option if you can't really do very much about the pervasiveness of mainstream media? Resonance FM might be willing to give it a go but are the big commercial radio stations going to observe No Music Day?

Having said that, I do appreciate Drummond's humour and ire.

Guybrush

Dittohead
This is why no music day is important. We've turned all music into background muzak. And I find "old farts" like Jarvis Cocker and Bill Drummond way more interesting than your average teenager.
I agree. The "old fart" expression was one of the things that bothered me with that piece. It's a rotten expression because it strangles debate and suggests that old people are just moaning reactionarys (needless to say, this is complete and utter dogpoo).