Incident at FWD>> - What happened?

nine

variable spray
lets not get this out of proportion

it was a personal dispute which was settled outside the club

certainly one of the best fwds i've been to

if you want to talk about drugs and clubs, then maybe another thread would be more appropriate

unfortunately there were no mullets victimized in the incident

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Jesus, maybe London/Britain is worse than it used to be. Was thinking bout this after coming back from Berlin (where the vibe was SO chilled, absolutely lovely), and after being threatened with murder by this British guy in Ibiza just for daring to stand up for myself after he started on me for something completely minor...

I really think there is something rotten in the British psyche that leads to critical levels of aggressiveness at clubs and other venues - cocaine can only make this worse, naturally, but it's not the root cause. I have never been anywhere where I am as careful about stepping on people's toes (both literally and metaphorically) as I am on a night out in London, and I am kinda sick of it.

Agree with whoever pointed out that the violence/aggressiveness happens everywhere, and not just at 'urban' events: for ex, went to Eski Dance a while back, and had no problems at all.

Badmarsh

Moving "forward" ...next one looks to be sick...Heartless? wonder what they will be playing?

Love the heartless, who remembers the vibes they used to bring back in the day?

robin

this sort of shit is a big problem in dublin too,and it doesn't even have a grime night
i'm always amazed how it doesnt seem to be the same anywhere else i visit
someone mentionted that maybe people in new york were less aggro cause people have weapons there,but i dont think its that simple-i think its seen as semi socially acceptable to get in a fight in ireland,probably the same in england...
i was in amsterdam and paris recently and the only time you see this sort of shit is when other irish or english people are involved...
i suspect maybe its just unacceptable to even be horribly drunk there,and getting in fights just isnt on at all...

dominic

Beast of Burden
Canada J Soup said:
IBeen in NY over five years and the only altercation I've found myself in was with another Irish guy. My theory is that people are a little more careful about starting shit here because they're afraid of stepping up to the wrong person and ending up getting shot.

did you hear about mission last week? -- the bar has irish ownership, same people as run sin sin, leopard lounge, taj and several other places

(for uk readers, a disproportionate number of bars and clubs in nyc are irish owned and operated, and many are or used to be connected to the IRA in some way or another -- or at least this is the standard story)

pretty ruff hip hop crowd there -- but also very expensive -- kinda bling, i suppose

this one guy's girlfriend spills a drink on a second guy's girlfriend, who then throws water at the first

then the two boyfriends take it outside, and one pumps three bullets into the other, killing him

and then a fourth bullet goes astray and hits a homeless man who was sleeping on the sidewalk

at least the homeless man can now spend his nights in the hospital, getting free food, etc

dominic

Beast of Burden
robin said:
maybe people in new york were less aggro cause people have weapons there,but i dont think its that simple-i think its seen as semi socially acceptable to get in a fight in ireland,probably the same in england...

the worst altercations i've seen or heard about *recently* have involved this one cockney bloke that i know (i.e., he evidently had to leave england b/c people wanted to kill him)

but the worst fights i've seen in bars during all my time here in nyc have involved long-time residents of the LES -- and these were *vicious* and out-of-control brawls -- dominicans, puerto ricans, but also irish americans

as a rule, the bars that are irish-run or which attract lots of irish are most prone to fights breaking out -- so you try not to steal drinks (if low on cash) or do anything foolish

but when it comes to real-deal violence, it's the dominicans and columbians who are not to be trifled with

of course this is all a matter of *stereotypes* -- and yet i think there's enough truth in the stereotypes to pay heed

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'm talking strictly about bars and clubs in downtown nyc

once went deep into brooklyn (brighton beach area) with a russian-american friend of mine, and that was a different scene altogether, i.e., from the moment we parked the car people were trying to intimidate us (and succeeding with me, though not with my friend, who is less easily cowed -- or rather, he's from there and, in addition, has something of a napoleon complex)

but once you go out of manhattan and into ethnic enclaves of the outer borroughs, people will spot you as an outsider from the get-go and let you know who's in charge

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Happily, London isn't as segregated as that (yet) so running into trouble is pretty much down to luck and/or how much you want to find it. In terms of the music scene, there's no doubt that there's an unsavoury element that follows grime, which rarely finds its way to nights like Forward. If more grime DJs get booked for certain nights however, it follows that you'll see more trouble as a result.

Forward as an institution seems to be shifting emphasis, which is fine, but it will lose certain elements (and people) that did a lot to make it what it is.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
FFS Blackdown, does everything have to get personal with you? In any case, what does breakbeat have to do with me (or anything else for that matter?).

I couldn't give a flying fuck about Forward. It was consistenly half full 3 years ago, then it got good for about a year (co-incidentally in the period that Ammunition weren't releasing anything) and now it's rubbish again. They've completely failed to widen its appeal, completely failed to capitalise on hype that it periodically attracts, basically they've done precisely nothing with it. Contrast that with nights it gets (ludicrously) compared to: Metalheadz, Movement etc.

It's main achievement is to have attracted some talented individuals together, most of whom have either outgrown it and left it behind, or got bored and started doing something else. Nice one.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
Canada J Soup said:
I dunno...it may be a factor but I reckon it's equally a cultural thing. The cocaine content of crowds in NYC at the moment seems to be higher than its been in a while and I rarely see anyhing go down. One of the things I love about living here. Last time I went home to Dublin I came close to getting into three fights in less than 10 days with drunken coked up assholes. Similar experience the last time I was visiting London. Been in NY over five years and the only altercation I've found myself in was with another Irish guy. My theory is that people are a little more careful about starting shit here because they're afraid of stepping up to the wrong person and ending up getting shot. Back home (for the most part) you’d have to be pretty unlucky to be on the receiving end of anything much worse than a few stitches or a good kicking.

I'd say it's a cultural thing, too.

Check this out:
SCOTLAND is the most violent country in the developed world, according to a United Nations report.

People living in Scotland are almost three times more likely to be victims of violent assault than in America. England and Wales recorded the second highest number of assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the lowest number.

The study, based on telephone interviews with victims of crime in 21 countries, found that more than 2,000 Scots are attacked every week — almost 10 times the official police figures. They include non- sexual crimes of violence and serious assaults.

Violent crime has doubled in Scotland over the past 20 years and levels, per head of population, are now comparable with crime-ridden cities such as Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Tbilisi.

The attacks have been fuelled by a “booze and blades” culture in the west of Scotland which has claimed more than 160 lives over the past five years.

The level of knife crime in Glasgow is similar to that in the most violent eastern European cities. The worst offenders are males aged between 15 and 25. Since January this year there have been 13 murders, 145 attempted murders and 1,100 serious assaults involving knives in the west of Scotland.

The problem is exacerbated by sectarian violence, with casualty wards reporting higher admissions following Old Firm matches.

See this too.

I've never seen anywhere near the same amount of casual violence in NYC or London as I have when I lived in Edinburgh; I used to always see fights when I was around and about. And Glasgow is even worse, too...it has a higher murder rate than NYC without guns!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
GU report there's 70 murders a year in scotland, and only Finland has more in western Europe. i didn't know Finland was rowdy!

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
nah, that's 70 murders a year in Glasgow.

I'm surprised Finland has such a high murder rate; I went there for two week two years ago and, while the Finns clearly love binge drinking, I never felt the same sort of aggro vibe that I was used to in Scotland.