Sci-Fi novels

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
oliver craner said:
I'm shocked, Mark, that that book didn't make you cringe...

I read it right through, just for the sheer sick joy of cringing, which I'm not proud of.

I thought it had longeurs, but didn't find it cringe-inducing, no... Mind you, I would read Invisible Cities before I dismissed Calvino, honestly...

You really rate that book? I hated it. Just like I hate Umbero Eco's novels and Alain Robbe-Grillet.

Couldn't get through Foucault's Pendulum, although Dan Brown obviously learned a thing or two.... I recall rather enjoying The Name of the Rose, however. I like Robbe-Grillet, naturally.

But like, I suppose, Pierre Guyotat and Renata Adler.
I've not read either of these so I couldn't comment.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
k-punk said:
Couldn't get through Foucault's Pendulum, although Dan Brown obviously learned a thing or two....

I think Foucault's Pendulum is worth getting through myself. IT's a hard starter though.

D84

carlos said:
i think i just prefer SF when it still clings to the pulp origins of the genre- but still tries to transcend them in some way.

I'm totally with you there.

carlos said:
another good SF novel done in a space opera style is "The Centauri Device" by M. John Harrison- anybody ever read that?

I haven't read that one yet but will one day. My mate raves about the Viriconium books.

I read his last novel Light which was pretty good - esp. if read as a comment on the Hard SF genre - but for my tastes it was probably a bit too dark, nihilistic etc. towards the end.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
k-punk said:
There are some marvellous passages in that book, especially at the start, where Calvino writes about the reproach of your bookshelves... all those books that will never be read....

...and near the end the last of the "1st chapters", the NOTHING APOCALYPSE happening....

Gibson best for me is not Neuromancer, which is anyway it's best novel by far, but all the brief stories collected in "Burning Chrome", that's a masterpiece, that sadly Gibson and his generation never equaled or bettered

tryptych

waiting for a time
No one's mentioned Iain Bank's SF - is he considered beyond the pale?

I would have thought he retains elements of the pulp origins and space opera whilst... well I dunno about transcending it.

I like "Consider Phlebas" and "Use of Weapons"

carlos

manos de piedra
i think Banks might have been mentioned earlier

but yes i loved Use of Weapons and Consider Phlebas-

sufi

lala
sapstra said:
I don't know whether comicbooks are allowed, but i really highly rate the Nikopol trilogy by Enki Bilal ... Also maybe the work of Moebius (alone and in cooperation with Jodorowsky)
i was thinking to mention 2000AD
pure inky brit sci-fi, did cover almost every conceivable connotation of post-HGW sci-fi storyline one way or another,
many many have turned up on the glittering silver screen having metamorphosed from tharg's future shock or alan moore's twisted tale to vapid hollywood blockbuster - transforming 3 pages (inc ads) of black n white post-punk cynicism to an hour & a half of "explosive SF square jawed action"... (please provide examples, anyone?)

i dunno whether everybody can accept comix on the lit thread but for me 2thou along with stuff like warrior & starblazer provided me with a thorough grounding in SF... & saved me many valuable hours that might otherwise have been wasted digesting words with no pictures :eek:

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
carlos said:
i think Banks might have been mentioned earlier

but yes i loved Use of Weapons and Consider Phlebas-

By me on the first page. I loved Player of Games and Excession.

ripley

k-punk said:
Women quite shockingly under-represented here (Le Guin the only woman mentioned thus far I think). About time that Octavia Butler got a mention: her Xenogenesis trilogy is rightly celebreated but my favourite is the lesser known Clay's Ark (I don't think there's a better book for viscerally rendering becoming-alien).

Pat Cadigan is also very under-rated.... Again I wouldn't go for the best known of her works (Synners) but for the techopsychosis of Fools (imagine Bowie/ Foxx identity-memory swapping/ Warholian theatre as an SF novel) and the delicately diagrammed implex of Tea from an Empty Cup (cyberspace whodunnit)...

Joining this rather late, but seconding you on Octavia Butler, tho I actually prefer the xenogenesis trilogy.

I also would heartily recommend Liz Williams, especially Empire of Bones. Amazing.
Sherri Tepper, especially her book Grass, is good, in a pulpier kind of way.

kennel_district

some authors no-one' mentioned.

alistair reynolds - hard sf with banks' breadth of vision, and an amazing gothic sensibility (start with revelation space)

charles stross - iron sunrise, and singularity sky

ken mcleod marxist post-singularity visionary (the stone canal, the cassini division, the star fraction, the sky road, are the best, engines of light series is a little too referential, but fun for the sci-fi buff).

A lot of the best recent science fiction seems to deal with the consequence of what they call the singularity, a predicted future event when technological progress and societal change accelerate due to the advent of superhuman intelligence (like a complicated version of what happens with skynet in the terminator films).

what do people think of stephen baxter? Have read 'raft' and 'timelike infinity' and they leave me strangely cold.

D84

Ah yes, I am ashamed to say despite many recommendations I have yet to read any Banks... I'll put it on the list for this summer.

The comics do count IMO. I love Moebius' stuff but he doesn't seem to be doing much these days (anyone know?) and I used to read those Heavy Metal and Epic mags in high school - some great imagery and ideas. I've been meaning to go back but I'm not sure where (+ I'm chronically skint). I loved those 200AD mags too. I found in these 3 magazines slightly disturbing when I was a kid - maybe the best SF should always be a little unsettling somehow.

I realise these days that a lot of those Marvel and DC superhero comics were SF in tights.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
For me it was all about Robert Heinlein. He's the don as far as I'm concerned. There was an excellent article about him in Rapid Eye. Cat Who Walks Through Walls was good.

Canticle for Liebovitz was a fave, as was Zelzany's pulpier but engrossing Damnation Alley.

I like Eco a lot. Read Foucault's Pendulum three times without being able to read the last five pages. Just stoped, didn't want or need to know the end.

However, I just don't read fiction now, haven't done for years other than the odd bit of fun, which I won't reveal for fear of offending Dissensians' delicate sensibilities.

owen

my favourite thing not mentioned yet is this-

54270.jpg

which is an amazing czech modernist disaster novel from the late 30s- highly intelligent newts are discovered, farmed and then try to take over....its written in various styles in ulysses fashion- newspaper articles, a business meeting, a thriller...it's also hysterically funny which helps. anyway capek needs to be on here also for 'R.U.R' which coined the term 'Robot' after all...

on the cyberpunk tip i have this book called 'storming the reality studio- a casebook of cyberpunk and postmodernism'...i must admit to being massively unimpressed by the fiction (stuff like pat cadigan, bruce sterling) for the most part, verrry 80s and po-faced, though it makes some interesting connections between Burroughs and french theory boys.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
I find your reading of Cadigan and Sterling very odd... they always struck me as very humorous writers... Pat in particular is very far from being po-faced... I can only repeat that IMHO Tea from an Empty Cup and Fools are absolute masterpieces...

ripley

Owen, you just reminded me of the best sci fi short story I ever read, in collection of Russian (or maybe Soviet-era) sci fi. Can't remember the name right now, but it was about an alien hiding out in Russia, who was a sentient plant, masquerading as a dwarf. His description of "the sadism of breakfast" is awesome. one of the funniest things I've read.

got to go find it again!

k-punk said:
No, just silly. 'Invisible Cities' surely one of the most powerful works of the last half of the twentieth century.
QUOTE]

seconded!

The only sci-fi I've read is Alice in Wonderland, Solaris, and Neuromancer; Neuromancer has some cool ideas about consciousness, eg simstims, but I can't believe Gibson got there first - anyone know for sure?

There are bits of David Foster Wallace's short stories that are so technically detailed they must rank as sci-fi (I'm not talking about the overtly sci-fi 'invisible jest'), simply because he can't know what he's talking about...