Sci-Fi novels

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
polystyle desu said:
The Lems' men has passed away ...
Stanislaw Lem RIP last week , i believe .
Argh, I didn't know this. My favorite author dies, and I only hear about it a week later.

tryptych

waiting for a time
hamarplazt said:
Argh, I didn't know this. My favorite author dies, and I only hear about it a week later.

What else of Lem's is good? I've only read Solaris and another one which escapes me... something about a man alone on spaceship (was a long time ago!).

I've just finished Brunne's "Stand on Zanzibar" which I thought was fantastic. What else of his is worth reading? His last few novels or the stuff leading up to "Stand.."?

EDIT: Ok I just re-read the thread and "Shockwave Rider" seems to be the recommendation.

Last edited:

jd_

spackb0y said:
What else of Lem's is good? I've only read Solaris and another one which escapes me... something about a man alone on spaceship (was a long time ago!).[/QUOTE

I thought The Invincible and Futurological Congress were both really great. I liked Fiasco quite a bit as well. Not read Cyberiad yet but a friend that really likes hiim recommends it highly.

polystyle

'In Praise of Biocide'

Hey Spackb0y
Brunner's followup to Zanzibar "The Sheep Look Up" ('72) is pretty good too .
And it's a nice title later used by Fad Gadget .
"Shockwave Rider" fine , as noted

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I don't think Lem really has any *bad* work. Probably my favorites though are Fiasco, the Pirx books (beautifully lotek), Cyberiad, and Memoirs of a Space Traveller (though you have to be up for silliness for those last two).

Recently liking Richard Morgan quite well.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Eric said:
I don't think Lem really has any *bad* work. Probably my favorites though are Fiasco, the Pirx books (beautifully lotek), Cyberiad, and Memoirs of a Space Traveller (though you have to be up for silliness for those last two).
Yeah, Lem is never really bad, but sometimes he's not all that good either. I'm not much for the Pirx books, a bit too ordinary hard sf for my taste. Fiasco and His Masters Voice are much better in that they seem like hard sf, but actually have a lot of the same mindtwisting content as Solaris.

Solaris, of course, is the masterpiece. It's said, though, that the english translation is really bad, so maybe that will turn of some readers. But still, it's in a league of its own, I know no other book that is simultaniously so clinically (pseudo)scientific and so deeply moving, so cold rational and so mystic.

Other favorites:
Cyberiad and Star Diaries/Memories of a Space Traveller: They're silly in a Douglas Adams way, but they also have a dark, strange and unsetteling edge that is all Lem.
The Futurological Congress: PKD-like world-falling-apart, but from a very different angle, all central european absurdism and high brow satire.
Memories Found in a Bathtub: Kafka on speed. It's like one long string of the most surreal and absurd moments in Kafka (or maybe even Schulz, given the dream-like quality), but exaggerated even further.
A Perfect Vacuum and Imaginary Magnitude: Reviews of non-existing books. Plus, in Imaginary Magnitude, the segment "Golem XIV"; philosophical lectures by a super intelligent military computer refusing to follow its program.

Eventually, the ideal introduction to Lem is probably the collection Mortal Engines. One part silly/twisted robot fables a la Cyberiad, one very funny Ijon Tichy-story (Tichy is the "hero" of Star Diaries, Memories of a Space Traveller and Futurological Congress), one Pirx story, and a long, dark, tragic story called The Mask, which is one of Lems best.

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Ah, I forgot about Memoirs found in a Bathtub. Thta was my intro to Lem at the age of 14. Pretty mindblowing.

ripley

argh why didn't I check in here before reading King Rat? awful stuff.. is the rest of Mieville any better?

D84

I've started reading the Iain M. Banks Culture novels after all the recommendations here and elsewhere. I really enjoyed the first two, Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games, but I finished Use of Weapons today and I've got to admit I wasn't as impressed: he writes beautifully but I just felt that the plot/story was a bit too convoluted and tricksy. The ending was somewhat grotesque and confusing too.

Mind you, I did read it off and on (been really busy) so I may have missed or forgotten a few things along the way.

Looking around on thew web though, I see most people rate it as one of their all time favourites etc.

Any of you read it and have an opinion? Have I missed something?

Ripley, I've read "Perdido Street Station": it has some really nice moments but it could have done with some more revision and editing: it felt a bit like a gothic potboiler. I might check out "The Scar" someday...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I read The Player Of Games a few years ago and, well, it was OK, but I enjoyed the couple of Iain-without-the-M-Banks novels I've read a lot more. I think the aliens in TPoG just weren't anything like alien enough for me - they seemed almost like the 'aliens' one encounters in Star Trek: DS9 ;) - and were all too transparently an allegory for a brutal, dysfunctional human society (in contast to the rather smugly right-on Culture). Having said that, I did like the concept of the master game-player's potentially life-destroying dark secret that he once cheated when playing against an amateur, and I think there may have been a rather cool psychotic computer in it too.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Women quite shockingly under-represented here (Le Guin the only woman mentioned thus far I think). About time that Octavia Butler got a mention: her Xenogenesis trilogy is rightly celebreated but my favourite is the lesser known Clay's Ark (I don't think there's a better book for viscerally rendering becoming-alien).

Pat Cadigan is also very under-rated.... Again I wouldn't go for the best known of her works (Synners) but for the techopsychosis of Fools (imagine Bowie/ Foxx identity-memory swapping/ Warholian theatre as an SF novel) and the delicately diagrammed implex of Tea from an Empty Cup (cyberspace whodunnit)...

others:

Joan Slonczewski - especially A Door Into Ocean, though all her books are worth reading
Doris Lessing - the Canopus in Argos series is awesome
Suzette Haden Elgin - especially her Native Tongue trilogy

I quite like Tricia Sullivan as well - Double Vision is probably her best

haven't read her but isn't there a female sf writer whose quite avant and highly regarded who wrote under the name James Tiptree

and marge (?) pierce (?), the woman on the edge of time (or something)

yes, Marge Piercy - Woman on the Edge of Time - very fine

and James Tiptree Jr (Alice Sheldon) - there's a nice anthology of her stories: Her Smoke Rose Up Forever

One female SF writer that I've been interested in checking out since reading a short bio of her in a magazine is Carol Emshwiller.

I found her own version here: http://www.sfwa.org/members/emshwiller/
She sounds like a legend.

Anyone read her stuff? Any good places to start? Or should I just grab the first work that I find (as usual : )

try The Start of the End of it All and other stories

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
but I finished Use of Weapons today and I've got to admit I wasn't as impressed: he writes beautifully but I just felt that the plot/story was a bit too convoluted and tricksy. The ending was somewhat grotesque and confusing too.

Any of you read it and have an opinion? Have I missed something?

Ripley, I've read "Perdido Street Station": it has some really nice moments but it could have done with some more revision and editing: it felt a bit like a gothic potboiler. I might check out "The Scar" someday...

I agree about Use of Weapons - it's cleverly constructed but that's pretty much all that can be said for it. The chairmaker idea is totally lame.

Perdido Street Station I thought was wonderful - but, as you say, it's not really science fiction; it's more of a gothic fantasy in the same sort of area as Lanark or Gormenghast

ripley

Perdido Street Station I thought was wonderful - but, as you say, it's not really science fiction; it's more of a gothic fantasy in the same sort of area as Lanark or Gormenghast

yeah I did eventually try Mieville again. I enjoyed Perdido St. station and I also agree with your characterization, pretty much.

On that note I'm struggling through the fantasy novel Little, Big which has some similar resonances (although far far less explicitly horror-laced).

I really really liked Iron Council, though. Almost made up for King Rat.

another English sci-fi author I've been enjoying is Tricia Sullivan. I think I posted about her in another thread. really weird, aggressive, wigged-out stuff.

I also loved The Yiddish Policeman's Union, which won a prize for sci-fi, although it's only that in that it is an alternate history/Jewish noir, not a lot of sciency stuff. great book though.

ripley

and I mentioned her in my first post above ;)

woops, missed that! yes, I think Double Vision is my favorite

she doesn't have distribution in the US, i think, all her paperbacks are super expensive, more's the pity.

Also, I think Lois McMaster Bujold and C.J. Cherryh, more in the space-opera vein, can be pretty entertaining

Nalo Hopkinson had an entertaining first novel _Brown Girl In The Ring_ set in future Toronto. It reads a bit like a young adult novel, but does some interesting stuff. I hope for more from her..

zhao

there are no accidents
ok where is that new Iranian sci-fi/horror novel post? which thread was it in? can't find it for some god damned reason... thanks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ok where is that new Iranian sci-fi/horror novel post? which thread was it in? can't find it for some god damned reason... thanks

'Cyclonopedia' - it's now in three threads: one in Thought and one in this forum, both dedicated to the book, and it's been mention in the 'Dissensus book club' thread, where it was unanimously decided that it would be the next book to be read.

Cool, I just realised 'unanimously' must mean 'as one soul'. Far out, maaaan... :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
'Cyclonopedia' - it's now in three threads: one in Thought and one in this forum, both dedicated to the book, and it's been mention in the 'Dissensus book club' thread, where it was unanimously decided that it would be the next book to be read.

Cool, I just realised 'unanimously' must mean 'as one soul'. Far out, maaaan... :cool:

thanks m8!