what does your girl listen to?

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
confucius said:
one of these days that Dave Mathews CD will just mysteriously dissapear from her apartment... for EVER.
Don't bother. If there's something I've learned about DMB fans, it's that they REPLACE those CDs when they disappear. Even more than once.

Perhaps you should just take comfort in the fact that it could be worse: Kenny fucking Chesney! What in the name of all that's holy did I do to deserve that?!

ripley

sapstra said:
I'll make sure the next thread i start is about all the links between Aleister Crowley, Coil, Brecht, avant classical and Barthes, because that is obviously more important than such mundane things as the music you hear in your everyday life or the reaction of important people to the music you love.

I think owen's talking about the title, not the question itself. I agree. nice question, but a title that made me not want to read it except out of morbid curiosity.

really, it just looks like it's going to be one of those "women! why don't they get it?" kind of threads.

if you can't figure out why many women (or just people concerned with gender dynamics) seeing it might be a bit put off.. well.. dunno what else to say, really.

but on the topic..
my mister likes similar music as me, only more pop stuff, more dreamy stuff, and steely dan.. now that is incomprehensible!

and I'm curious - do people get into their partner's music, or stay on their own interests?

my, er, 'girl' listens to free jazz, ornette coleman, jay-z, nas and luigi nono, and bob dylan, john fahey. but his record collection aint half as hot as mine, heh heh...

S

simon silverdollar

ripley said:
and I'm curious - do people get into their partner's music, or stay on their own interests?

i have a kind of psychological block against sharing her enthusiasm for fairport convention, but aside from that she's won me round to all sorts of cool things, from gregorian chants to The Bangs-- i think inevitably if yr surrounded by another person's music for a long period then you'll start at least taking a more open minded interest in it, which often leads to real enthusiasm for it (and loving and respecting that person obviosuly speeds up the process...)

bassnation

the abyss
ripley said:
I think owen's talking about the title, not the question itself. I agree. nice question, but a title that made me not want to read it except out of morbid curiosity.

really, it just looks like it's going to be one of those "women! why don't they get it?" kind of threads

people are reading things into that topic heading when it looked fairly neutral to me.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
bassnation said:
people are reading things into that topic heading when it looked fairly neutral to me.

Oh, come on. Really? It's completely biased in terms of both gender and ssecuality. Even the OP recognised it.

I guess it's confirmed what I guess I already knew, but was slightly disappointed to discover: that almost everyone here is a man. Hetro or homo but still very much male. Not, of course, that I am any exception to that.

But the essential question is a good one.

My partner and I got together through music more or less, specifically drum and bass and 2step. But she's not particularly music orrientated. When she listens to music she likes good stuff, and often more experimental stuff than me, but she'd rather watch TV. She says that it comes from working in a loud, music filled enviornment all day, but I think it's actually an excuse.

zhao

there are no accidents
Chef Napalm said:
Don't bother. If there's something I've learned about DMB fans, it's that they REPLACE those CDs when they disappear. Even more than once.

Perhaps you should just take comfort in the fact that it could be worse: Kenny fucking Chesney! What in the name of all that's holy did I do to deserve that?!

well she better be a 9 or above for you to tolerate THAT. mine is a 9 for sure. normally I don't even talk to DMB fans. (well she's not exactly a 'fan' anymore... it's more of a thing from the past... or so I'd like to think)

forgot to mention she did sit through a Merzbow concert with me recently...

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
Just about anything.

She's into grime, dancehall, hip hop, Rn'B but she's on a big emo tip when I'm not around. Sparta etc.

It makes me wanna stick ice picks in my ears, but I forgive her for shouting "NAAAAAAH SHANK HIM" at random.

Last edited:

Beatsmythe

I believe that this thread was meant to express the importance of what your significant other listens to when one is a huge fan of music. Being open minded to music and loving it as much as I do is almost a requirement to me. But I kind of feel insulted some coments here because I'm a girl, and unfortunately there are more men than women involved in the music business so I feel kind of left out!!! Believe it or not, there are some women out there that could compete with any man's obsession for it. This is what I listen to, and it's not even a quarter of everything that I love: Electro, Breakbeats, Jungle, tribal, Drum n Bass, jump up, all types of Techno, SKA, Punk, Rock n Roll, Samba (especially batucada), Miami Bass, afro-cuban, lounge, grime, Getto Tech, 2 Step, techstep, Dub, Reggae, Dubstep, Disco Nouveau, Funk, Soul, Merengue, UK Garage, Surf, Industrial, Goth, Dark Wave, New Wave, Electro Cl*sh, hardcore, tango, acid and booty house, bossa nova, salsa, hip hop, latin jazz, classical, baroque, jazz, trip hop, music from senegal and gambia, anything that makes my ass shake, beats from the darkest, rawest, hardest to imagine that they could exist places in the world, from vivaldi to dark and/or hardcore stuff. I could go on and on and on and on......
I am one of those girls that absolutely and obsessively loves shoes, but would rather buy records. I have to admit, that a lot of girls out there, A LOT, do listen to a lot of crap. But if any man believes that girs don't have the capability of listening to good music, then they just haven't found the right girl. I'm sorry if i got a little bitchy, but being involved in the music world I notice and experience musical descrimination for being a woman. This past Saturday, I had a dj gig and had a male assistant (HE WAS MY ASSISTANT), and people would refer to him as the lead person just because he was a man. That sucks!

mms

sometimes
welll my good lady used to work for digital hardcore records so she' s pretty open minded, she doesn't like Prince much tho and not grime mcing on the radio - i think her heart is in gram parsons and dylan and also diana ross, bobby-o and that .

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
It's a shame if women are offended by the title of the thread and been put off from posting on it, because the responses have been lovely. (I think that knowing that the OP's first language is not English provides some useful context.)

My wife, Carolyn, likes a lot of the music I listen to, especially the less frenetic but more abrasive electronica stuff (she's bought a Boards of Canada album, which is beyond me), and anything groovy.

She likes 2step, deep dub, bouncy dancehall, and loves old funk and recent breakbeat. She's not so keen on house and banging techno but really likes inventive techno and canes Dub's mixes. (Dub is a GREAT techno DJ on UK-Dance who's done some really good records.) I've not played her much Grime but she'll like some of it, I'm sure. Plus she's been to reggae nights and dance music clubs with me (and when we first got together in 1988 we went clubbing loads). When we have people round she'll usually put reggae on.

Carolyn's taste is excellent. She can do better compilation tapes than me. In the past she's turned me on to U2. And she's introduced some fantastic records to me in the last year or so, like MJ Cole's mixes, Blackalicious, Moloko, and above all, Doves -- they're amazing.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
2stepfan said:
And she's introduced some fantastic records to me in the last year or so, like MJ Cole's mixes

Sorry to derail the thread - which mixes would these be then?

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I always thought that I was the one who would be wearing the hardcore-ness pants in any relationship I was in until I met my current lady. She owns more records than me, is a better DJ and definitely has WAAAY harder/more experimental music taste than mine. Rather than a list of genre titles I offer this, a DJ mix she did, along with a little explanatory blurb by me and sexy picture:

http://www.wearechangeagent.com/shadeblog/archives/archive_2005-w27.php

Don't believe the hype, girls are not all dave matthews fans.

borderpolice

not too long ago a hot girl moves in next door. i have been trying to get to know her ever since but to no avail. last night i was listening to some weird atonal early john cage, quite loudly, when somebody knocked on the door. i was pleasantly surprised to find her (and her housemate) standing in front. "are you being burgled or robbed? we heard some alarm bell!"

oh well, i don't think i should try and impress her with my musical knowledge then!

jimet

My wife doesn't much like music. Well, she likes listening to pleasant tunes, but doesn't much care what they are or think about it beyond that. But then she's an art historian and I have much the same attitude to visual art - I like having something nice on the walls, but haven't the slightest interest in talking/thinking about it - soit kind of balances out. It took me ages to realise that choosing a partner based on having similar music taste is stupid.

zhao

there are no accidents
borderpolice said:
last night i was listening to some weird atonal early john cage, quite loudly, when somebody knocked on the door. i was pleasantly surprised to find her (and her housemate) standing in front. "are you being burgled or robbed? we heard some alarm bell!"

very funny! :D

bassnation

the abyss
jimet said:
It took me ages to realise that choosing a partner based on having similar music taste is stupid.

lol, otm. i don't think thats ever been a factor once in my entire life.

having said that, i met my wife through raving even if she got bored of house and techno way before i did.