what does your girl listen to?

ripley

jimet said:
It took me ages to realise that choosing a partner based on having similar music taste is stupid.

well, someone's been reading _High Fidelity_!

But yeah, I know what you mean.

At the same time, a lot of young folk define themselves through music, so it makes sense that at least at that time, you might find it important that your partner also be into that (obv it's not enough for what we would now probably call a "real" relationship, but when you're young what is?). This might be true the more that you see your musical taste as embedded in or representing a larger worldview. Maybe it's a sign of maturity to be able to detach music from that.. maybe not.. I dunno.

and I bet a lot of folks on this board still find at least some of their *friends* through music. Not saying you have (or ought to have) the same relationship with your partner as you do with your friends, but I think that's interesting as well.

kennel_district

This past Saturday, I had a dj gig and had a male assistant (HE WAS MY ASSISTANT), and people would refer to him as the lead person just because he was a man. That sucks!

what does an assistant do? Where can I get one?

john eden

male pale and stale
kennel_district said:
what does an assistant do? Where can I get one?

Carry stuff.
Big you up.
Put records away.
Skin up.
Get beers.
Ward off and/or liaise with mentalists.

And in the case of Paul Meme, dance to all your records with a big stoopid grin on his face. :)

As to where to get one, I think they find you... ;)

mms

sometimes
qwerty south said:
no gf at the mo, but the last girl i 'gave my heart' to was into nickleback etc

:(

hmm i don't think i coud ever go out with a girl that only really liked very bad music like nickelback and none of the stuff i liked to be honest - music is too much part of what i do every waking hour really, i'm been sick with it and i can't remember not being so that woudn't last very long .
Sorry if thats immature or narrow minded but music carries out into alot of stuff i do and think about really.

zhao

there are no accidents
mms said:
hmm i don't think i coud ever go out with a girl that only really liked very bad music.

what if she was a model from a wealthy family that just graduated from Cambridge with a degree in comprehensive literature and art history? (and for some reason all she listens to is new country)

h-crimm

first met my last little boy at a tracy and the plastics show, then i met him in the record shop buying some shit house, first date we went to see dizzy rascal and some reggaeton things.
i dont think i could keep a straight face if someone put on a dave matthews record to 'make out' to, or something about absolutely conventionalised and banal aspirations or traditions of love. there are things which are beyond the pale when you're first meeting someone.
to say that personal tastes are irrelevent either puts the relationship on some other (impersonal?) level or excuses treatin the 'girl' like an incomprehensible other. dont you become friends first? and dont you make friends through mutual interests?

it might be stupid to choose people for simple aestetic reasons but some aestetics have more important associations, like not being lazy enough to accept the sexism and racism and marketting pressure in the narrow horizons of 'normal' music or being able to see some other content beyond the form (being able to cope with pirate radio/punk production values). i dont think its stupid to value those things in people. but i could just be immature :)

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
what if she was a model from a wealthy family that just graduated from Cambridge with a degree in comprehensive literature and art history? (and for some reason all she listens to is new country)

she would'n't like me !

Woebot

my lovely wife (who through having to put up with me knows quite a lot - her cheeky potted history of Krautrock and Jamaican music are hilariously accurate...though I would say that) has a great answer to this:

"mixtapes"

skim

I've tried to get my David Byrne-loving husband listening to Shitmat, but he's not having any of it.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
And in the case of Paul Meme, dance to all your records with a big stoopid grin on his face. :)

As to where to get one, I think they find you... ;)
I like to think I'm more in the spiritual adviser category.

ice bat

(cheshire cat)
I haven't got a girl. :p

My most recent boyfriend was obsessed with No Wave -- No New York was his Holy Grail. He also dug Blondie, early Madonna, and everything Lydia Lunch has ever done. His single favourite song was probably Delta 5's "Mind Your Own Business."

The one before that was was a trad Celtic musician, but he also loved the Mekons, Joy Division, and Jah Wobble.

Ages ago I had the weird experience of being the bringer of the news about punk and post-punk to somebody who instantly developed much cooler taste than mine and got WAY further into it all than I was, with the result that he ended up playing the Fall and the Minutemen constantly at a time when I preferred the Replacements and Robyn Hitchcock.

Could be wrong but I doubt I could ever seriously get together with someone whose taste in music had nothing at all in common with mine...hasn't happened yet, anyway.