Dylan: I just don't get it, and I never will

geto.blast

snap on rims
Let me start by saying i dislike pop music to no end, dylan included....

But monsieur k(etamine?)-punk you have recently written a piece on the cure where you head was so far up rober smith's ass i was worried for your safety.

At least Scorsese waited 40 years ... the cure an important band?

It was commercial substandard major label girly crap they were peddling as a safe alternative to punk /me thinks.

The anger and depression etc without the politics or any attempt to educate, or question the system. in other words: POP shit.

man ... be consistent

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
geto.blast said:

But monsieur k(etamine?)-punk you have recently written a piece on the cure where you head was so far up rober smith's ass i was worried for your safety.

It was commercial substandard major label girly crap they were peddling as a safe alternative to punk /me thinks.

The anger and depression etc without the politics or any attempt to educate, or question the system. in other words: POP shit.

man ... be consistent

shit yeh, you're right... the reasons that I disliked Dylan were clearly that he was too Pop.... and there's nothing worse than being 'girly'... I repent of my sins and promise never to be interested in anything on a major label ever again...

(hmmm, that Dissensian nu-rockist isn't such a straw man it would seem)

geto.blast

snap on rims
k-punk said:
(hmmm, that Dissensian nu-rockist isn't such a straw man it would seem)

yeah i read about him in another thread, good man i hear. I see he s also made a bunch of MI(hond)A "fans" very angry and confused .... it seems to be a good thing this "straw man"

k-goth was already taken ?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
geto.blast said:

man ... be consistent

The Cure were an important band.

I like them primarily for the spare sound on the first album. An album which along with other cut-to-the-bones sounding stuff like Talking Heads "'77", The Modern Lovers and possibly things like the Young Marble Giants were on the edge of the new-wave and not in any way "safe" or "girlie crap". Not then, not now.

If that's pop shit, well tough. What is not then?
Apart from pure random noise with a reading of "Das Kapital" on top.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Did Dylan ever do anything which was new sonically?

He was hardly to first to sing electrically amplified folk tunes.

Hardly revolutionary ... but even that old rebellion Mick Farren
describes how much he liked Dylan in his tome "Give the Anarchist a Cigarette"
- so clearly I've got some genetic fault (same story with Radiohead I am afraid -
never understood what so "revolutionary" about them).

You can now get the Dylan revolution in Starbucks (along with Kate Melua and John Legend) ...
Guess you need some strong coffee to keep you awake after buying these CDs.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Ness Rowlah said:
Did Dylan ever do anything which was new sonically?

He was hardly to first to sing electrically amplified folk tunes.

Hardly revolutionary ... but even that old rebellion Mick Farren
describes how much he liked Dylan in his tome "Give the Anarchist a Cigarette"
- so clearly I've got some genetic fault (same story with Radiohead I am afraid -
never understood what so "revolutionary" about them).

You can now get the Dylan revolution in Starbucks (along with Kate Melua and John Legend) ...
Guess you need some strong coffee to keep you awake after buying these CDs.

Hilarious post, but then this is a hilarious thread. No surprise that it was started by the infinitely pretentious Mark...

geto.blast

snap on rims
Ness Rowlah said:
The Cure were an important band.

I like them primarily for the spare sound on the first album. An album which along with other cut-to-the-bones sounding stuff like Talking Heads "'77", The Modern Lovers and possibly things like the Young Marble Giants were on the edge of the new-wave and not in any way "safe" or "girlie crap". Not then, not now.

If that's pop shit, well tough. What is not then?
Apart from pure random noise with a reading of "Das Kapital" on top.

well if you only consider every band's first album as the sum total of their art..

the cure is a mall-goth band , don t compare them to the modern lovers...

the song "pablo picasso"' itself is more important than the cure.

Woebot

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Woebot

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

yeah that's rubbish, but he seems to have a team of people removing everything off the web.

listening to a lot of dylan right now. like a sad old man innit.

Benny Bunter

Actually I love Bob Dylan. I even went to see him play a couple of years ago with my Dad. We certainly weren't the only Father-son combo there either (there were also lots of very bored looking 12 year old boys!). We had a lovely night out and Bob was great...so there :p

Woebot

Good one. The John Wesley Harding LP is definitely one to keep coming back to after rinsing the more famous ones like Highway 61 and that. 'As I went out one morning' is a spooky tune.

and blood on the trax. that's a corker.

(sighs)

Woebot

obv

biabh
highway
blonde

also-rans

freewheelin (too good)
john wesley
blood
basement
desire

over-rated

times
another side
flood
bob1

not good

nashville
new morning

zhao

there are no accidents
i've always LOVED this cover:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Benny Bunter

obv

biabh
highway
blonde

also-rans

freewheelin (too good)
john wesley
blood
basement
desire

over-rated

times
another side
flood
bob1

not good

nashville
new morning

I really like the Basement tapes album, especially all the daft little shaggy dog story ones like 'Clothesline incident', where he's playing the country bumpkin role. From hearing most of the other unreleased basement tapes bootlegs I think they definitely put most of the good stuff on the double album. They did a fantastic job of cleaning up those tapes for release too.

There's plenty of amazing stuff on the first official 'Bootleg Series' compilation too, and the liner notes are really exhaustive, going into each song. Dylan fan's wet dream.

benjybars

village elder.
yeah the first bootleg triple pack has some amazing stuff on it.

hardly ever listen to much bob nowadays. still love him though. saw him 3 times in a month a few years ago.

STN

sou'wester
broadly indifferent to him, do love the first LP and those live sets (Albert Hall 66 and somewhere else 75) that came out a few years ago tho.