questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

hucks

Your Message Here
Am I correct in my long and secretly held belief that the break on Bukem's "Horizons" is too loud in the mix and trebley?

Thinking about it....that break did sound better in other tracks, like Kid Caprice by Wax Doctor, f'rinstance. I don't think you can take that as definitive, though.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Am I correct in my long and secretly held belief that the break on Bukem's "Horizons" is too loud in the mix and trebley?

It was designed explicitly to sound fantastic on the system down the Mars Bar.
It is boringly repetitive though.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
It's the break from Kurtis Blow's "Do the Do." As mentioned by Hucks, also on "Kid Caprice" also Adam F's "Circles" obv. Most recent use I noticed was ASC's "Tradewind," on Paradox's Outsider label, came out last year.

DJ PIMP

Yes, I'm specifically talking about its use in the Bukem track. Every time I've heard it at volume it makes me wince when it drops with its splashy smashy shattery-glass top end. It seems disproportionately loud in the mix compared to the synth elements.

The way the break is EQed in Circles is pleasant.

elgato

I just dont know
it's on 1200s and it's just a few dubstep and grime ones. i was just wondering if i was doing something blatantly wrong. so it is the case then that sometimes they're just pressed too loud or bassy? isn't that what test presses are for?

hmm yeh in theory but it depends on the attention to detail of the label i guess... for example i'd be surprised if a dmz or hotflush 12 did that, but for grime whites or southside or boka or something i really wouldnt be that surprised. and it might be that the TPs were tested on a number of setups on which they were fine, just by chance...

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
it's on 1200s and it's just a few dubstep and grime ones. i was just wondering if i was doing something blatantly wrong. so it is the case then that sometimes they're just pressed too loud or bassy? isn't that what test presses are for?
That is what test presses are supposed to do, but apparently you can opt out of test presses if you're short of cash.

I used to have the same problem. I ended up switching to Shure M44-7s and throwing my Stanton 680ELs away. The Shure's come with a handy-dandy guide on how to set up your tonearm and align your needle. Not only did the skipping stop, but the improvement in sound quality was astounding.

Sounds like a commercial, I know, but I'm telling you; they sound great and stick like glue.

nomos

Administrator
Thanks folks. The one one that led me to write the post is Ringo 003, Skream 'Assumptions' remix. When the bass drops the needle goes nuts. I've cranked up the weight to about 4.5g and that seems to keep it in check but that's a lot of weight. I had it at 2 before re-balancing. I'm sure adding new needles (long overdue) to the equation isn't helping things though since they can be prone to skating before they're broken in.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
Thanks folks. The one one that led me to write the post is Ringo 003, Skream 'Assumptions' remix. When the bass drops the needle goes nuts. I've cranked up the weight to about 4.5g and that seems to keep it in check but that's a lot of weight.

interesting. cos i remember jason posting saying how he wasnt gonna release that one unless he got a good enough master (implying the original master was too rough), but obviously he wasnt tight enough. surprising! not what you expect from the transition imprint!

nomos

Administrator
well that's the thing. i know it was done by the best so it's making me wonder if i'm screwy. :slanted:

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
I'm sure adding new needles (long overdue) to the equation isn't helping things though since they can be prone to skating before they're broken in.
If you say so...

The record I always had problems with was Scott Grooves' Mothership Reconnection (Daft Punk Remix). like a lot of the French house stuff of the time, it was mastered super loud.

Before 44-7s the record skipped like mad. After, no skips at all. And that's at 1.5g on the tone-arm.

nomos

Administrator
Well that's what I read on the Shure site anyway. I don't mean to belabour the point though. Thanks people :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
What is the significance of Sugarcubes - Birthday?
Is it just because it's the first Bjork appearance or something?

She was in a punk band before that, and had had releases in Iceland before that as a kid n all I think. The indie press in the UK went mental over it because it sounded vaguely Cocteau Twins but had more of a melody, I think. They were really into girls that sounded autistic around that time, The Sundays being another example.

tate

Brown Sugar
She was in a punk band before that, and had had releases in Iceland before that as a kid n all I think. The indie press in the UK went mental over it because it sounded vaguely Cocteau Twins but had more of a melody, I think. They were really into girls that sounded autistic around that time, The Sundays being another example.
KUKL

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah 'Birthday' was the Sugarcubes first single and was very well received.

They came to London and played the Town and Country club underneath SWANS and the Dave Howard Singers on the bill. Top gig.

dr.lloyd

Believing the music
Educate, inform and inspire, mi' 'ssensus! So nice to drop in and learn for a bit. No cred here as I would have hazarded a (plausible I thought) guess that this was something to do with the testosterone rush one will have from murder by knife slashing to the uber-robotic sound of a descending violin screech (Royal Scottish National Orchestra in the place, kilted respects is due).
shower5.jpg

Er, I just realised I am replying to a question asked in oct 05. Showerface innit. Will try to keep up.

Last edited:

tate

Brown Sugar
I have a question. In the UK, when did the term "indie rock" become prevalent, or common? In the 80s, 90s, more recently, when? Is it a term that originated in the UK to describe UK music, or was it imported from the US, or vice versa, or? And what about the term "post-punk"? I am curious about *both* mainstream usage and usage by journalists or critics. EDIT: I'd of course be interested to hear from people not in the UK, too, both on your local usage and your perception of the term's rise in various media.