questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

nomos

Administrator
I've seen people on the internet recently typing the word h*a*r*d*c*o*r*e. Is this to distinguish the sound of the early 90's from the hard house style 4 to the floor stuff that is popular now?
is that what people mean now when they say uk hardcore? that seems to have popped up lately and it confuses me. is there a new hardcore? how many dance music hardcores are there now?

i think that's right about the filters though.

shudder

In Grime, people are always chatting about "E3", especially Wiley. I've never known what the hell it meant, but it just occurred to me that it could be the beginning of a postal code. Is it?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Where does 'leng' come from? I know it's a noun and an adjective, and it's a weapon, or to use a weapon upon someone, but where does it come from? is it Ghanaian or something, like 'fassie'?

And while we're at it, I know what a 'mook' is ( in that I know I'm not one lol ) but where does it come from and all?

zhao

there are no accidents
what is a mook?

nevermind:

urban dictionary:

A term coined by Douglas Rushkoff in an episode of PBS's "Frontline" entitled "The Merchants of Cool." Mooks are archetypal young males(teens-early 20s) who act like moronic boneheads. They are self centered simpletons who live a drunken frat-boy lifestyle(or are frat-boys). Examples can be found anytime someone watches "Jackass." Rushkoff claimed that the media glorifies this ideal and stifles natural self expression, however, some people might argue teenage boys have always acted like morons(its actually a long-standing stereotype). Nonetheless, standardized conformist dumbass-culture behind a veneer of exhuberance is a scary notion indeed.

Opposite of Mooks are Midriffs; oxymoronic innocent skanks who are modeled after Britney Spears.

Coined in the Scorsese film, 'Mean Streets', meaning a arsehole or loser.

dummy, idiot, retard, loser, unlikeable person, poseur, etc.
Basically someone that you think is stupid.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
what is a mook?

nevermind:

urban dictionary:

A term coined by Douglas Rushkoff in an episode of PBS's "Frontline" entitled "The Merchants of Cool." Mooks are archetypal young males(teens-early 20s) who act like moronic boneheads. They are self centered simpletons who live a drunken frat-boy lifestyle(or are frat-boys). Examples can be found anytime someone watches "Jackass." Rushkoff claimed that the media glorifies this ideal and stifles natural self expression, however, some people might argue teenage boys have always acted like morons(its actually a long-standing stereotype). Nonetheless, standardized conformist dumbass-culture behind a veneer of exhuberance is a scary notion indeed.

Opposite of Mooks are Midriffs; oxymoronic innocent skanks who are modeled after Britney Spears.

Coined in the Scorsese film, 'Mean Streets', meaning a arsehole or loser.

dummy, idiot, retard, loser, unlikeable person, poseur, etc.
Basically someone that you think is stupid.

dunno the UK definition, but the US definition of "mook" is just a fucking dumb guido... a mamaluke... just a young bonehead...

Don Rosco

Nearly:

Mamluks (also Mameluks, Mamelukes) (the Arabic word usually translates as "owned", singular: مملوك plural: مماليك) comprised slave soldiers used by the Muslim caliphs and the Ottoman Empire, and who on more than one occasion seized power for themselves.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mameluke

mistersloane

oh god, that's really complex, inter-cultural disses totally do my head in. So would if have been better if they had remained enslaved? Would the term not be a form of abuse now? Is it because they tried to emancipate themselves that it's a term of abuse? Dickhead is so much easier!

zhao

there are no accidents
wait a minute, i went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mameluke and found this:

Mameluke (b. 1948) was an American Thoroughbred race horse owned by Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney. Ridden by jockey Raymond Adair, and trained by Sylvester Veitch, Mameluke won the 1951 Blue Grass Stakes but in that year's Kentucky Derby, the horse pulled up lame, finishing last.

sorry to even further confuse things... :confused:

mistersloane

wait a minute, i went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mameluke and found this:

Mameluke (b. 1948) was an American Thoroughbred race horse owned by Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney. Ridden by jockey Raymond Adair, and trained by Sylvester Veitch, Mameluke won the 1951 Blue Grass Stakes but in that year's Kentucky Derby, the horse pulled up lame, finishing last.

sorry to even further confuse things... :confused:

You're all trying to send me mad, aren't you? You can't fool me.

I watched Mean Streets a decade ago and always wondered what a mook was, especially as the scene ends without the characters or the audience finding out.

I've heard it a few times in the last year or so, seems to be a grower.

mistersloane

I watched Mean Streets a decade ago and always wondered what a mook was, especially as the scene ends without the characters or the audience finding out.

I've heard it a few times in the last year or so, seems to be a grower.

It seems to be what Dizzee is saying he isn't in that argument with Crazy Titch yonks back, could be wrong about that though, couldn't make it out.

mos dan

fact music
Just remembered the name...The Chart Show! I'm pretty sure that's where the indie charts were first broadcast in the UK. Hadn't thought about it in years.

i've got a question: how is it that appx ten years after it finished, i still remember the theme tune and title sequence to this in considerable detail?

i have another question, which is at least moderately serious: what do people get out of listening to breakbeat?

it doesn't make you (by which i mean 'me') want to dance, smash things, lie down and relax, have sex, or walk along a beach at dusk with the one you love.

and surely all music should do one or more of the above, right? can anyone think of a record that makes them want to do ALL of the above? now i'm just being silly, apologies.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
it doesn't make you (by which i mean 'me') want to dance, smash things, lie down and relax, have sex, or walk along a beach at dusk with the one you love.

and surely all music should do one or more of the above, right? can anyone think of a record that makes them want to do ALL of the above? now i'm just being silly, apologies.

Hallogallo?