questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

CrowleyHead

Yeah. It puts me off playing the records that he's done with Kode9, his accent seems too exaggerated to me. He MCd at a gig I went to once though and he was amazing, very engaged. Also re the accent, I looked at his website once and 'Spaceape' seems to be a sort of art(-school) project persona, which makes me question how much of himself he represents in those recordings...

Space Ape is probably as much of a persona as any real MC views themselves. There may be elements of the truth but so long as you're not a goon, you know you're not that person that you speak as.

Like, Nas is not a gun. He may have a song from the perspective of a gun, but he's not a gun. And *insert name here* is not Space Ape, or Daddi Gee.

mms

sometimes
Yeah. It puts me off playing the records that he's done with Kode9, his accent seems too exaggerated to me. He MCd at a gig I went to once though and he was amazing, very engaged. Also re the accent, I looked at his website once and 'Spaceape' seems to be a sort of art(-school) project persona, which makes me question how much of himself he represents in those recordings...
i don't think 'real' or literal plays much of a part in what he does, that's kinda the point.

i personally think he's great and getting much better too.

sufi

lala
Ok, I reckon this one really could lose me some music cred, but I'll do it anyway:
When people - seemingly always in the context of dubstep - use the phrase 'eyes down' in relation to a particular tune, what exactly do they mean?
To me, it has to do with a particular sort of vibe a tune might have - bleak/moody, yet still danceable. Brings to mind images of the dancefloor crowd concentrating intently on their feet and avoiding eye contact with each other. But I also suspect I could be getting this totally wrong.
heh you're cred is safe if you don't know that 'eyes down' comes from the bingo...
is it too much to expect a little bit of knowingly ironic camp from the dubstep posse??? ;);)nudge nudge
eyes down shower face legs eleven clicketyclick rudebwoy or something

D

droid

what does a 'split dubplate' mean? like when ppl say kartel or mavado wont give out split dubs?

Specials are normally recorded through a split signal - the vocals panned to one side and the riddim to the left. This allows you to change/edit the riddim or add anything you want to the vocals or music without fucking up the sound.

Some artists are happy to charge $1000s for plates but wont do splits in case someone takes their vocal and releases it.

The majority of people whether followers of the repetitive beats or not, accept that 'dance music' is a good catch all term to refer to the many genres doing the rounds. Yet some people use the word 'dance' as a genre in its own right- "I don't like house music, I'm into dance".

This poorly thought out name seems to be associated with 1990's euro stuff. But does anyone have a proper understanding of the other dance music

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This poorly thought out name seems to be associated with 1990's euro stuff. But does anyone have a proper understanding of the other dance music

The Other dance music:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

faustus

Specials are normally recorded through a split signal - the vocals panned to one side and the riddim to the left. This allows you to change/edit the riddim or add anything you want to the vocals or music without fucking up the sound.

Some artists are happy to charge $1000s for plates but wont do splits in case someone takes their vocal and releases it.

ok cool thats kinda what i guessed. this whole thing of 'splicing' specials seems to be a major issue at the moment (at least in the forum world and on myspace), its kind of the dancehall equivalent of people calling out VDJ mixes or playing bootlegs and loops on grime forums (well, grimeforum)

which is interesting imo

gabriel

The Heatwave
ok cool thats kinda what i guessed. this whole thing of 'splicing' specials seems to be a major issue at the moment (at least in the forum world and on myspace), its kind of the dancehall equivalent of people calling out VDJ mixes or playing bootlegs and loops on grime forums (well, grimeforum)

which is interesting imo

that's interesting, i was thinking only the other day that i haven't heard anyone complain about splicing for ages... when i first started reading dhr years ago it was all over the place and was a big issue as a lot of european sounds were getting dubs cut in jamaica which were spliced. i assumed things had gone quiet as i haven't come across those discussions for a while, but maybe i'm just reading dhr less - actually, they split the board a few years back and i stopped reading all the soundclash side of things, so maybe it's that.

incidentally, i heard marcus nasty play a special of shystie's bad gal bass/pull it (the ill blu remix) which was an obvious splice - as in, shystie hadn't rerecorded the whole song, just inserted 'marcus nasty pull it' at the key moment, leaving her original vocal intact. at least, that's what it sounds like. and i saw that maxwell ranger plans to do 400 specials of new brand dance this week, which made me think that maybe he does the same - records a vocal, leaves some key gaps, then plugs them for each special that he does...

massrock

That's not very special is it. I 'sume it's CDs or mp3s and not dubs...

You could do an automated process, like a download page where you put your DJ name in and a computer voice fills in the blank before sending you the file.

faustus

that's interesting, i was thinking only the other day that i haven't heard anyone complain about splicing for ages... when i first started reading dhr years ago it was all over the place and was a big issue as a lot of european sounds were getting dubs cut in jamaica which were spliced. i assumed things had gone quiet as i haven't come across those discussions for a while, but maybe i'm just reading dhr less - actually, they split the board a few years back and i stopped reading all the soundclash side of things, so maybe it's that

i dunno, you probably know better

i just was meaning that its interesting how theres certain ways particular to different scenes about keeping it 'authentic'. like people trawling through myspaces checking which specials are just some1 imitating the deejay. or going through people's mixes working out which tunes are loops. or looking through tracklists for tunes misnamed because theyve been misnamed in the bootleg

gabriel

The Heatwave
400 specials for free?! Can I get a couple? :D

Facebook 'Maxwell D Ranger' :)

i dunno, you probably know better

i don't know about that! if you're seeing it come up as an issue then i'm sure it is, i'm just not so aware of it as i used to be...

i just was meaning that its interesting how theres certain ways particular to different scenes about keeping it 'authentic'. like people trawling through myspaces checking which specials are just some1 imitating the deejay. or going through people's mixes working out which tunes are loops. or looking through tracklists for tunes misnamed because theyve been misnamed in the bootleg

definitely interesting. like how in dancehall it's totally unremarkable to jump on someone else's riddim, but doing a quick splice on a special is an outrage - whereas in uk funky it seems to be the opposite!