questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Spike

Dissential
It's Eliane Radigue... and if you want to go all the way and say her name in a pseudo-French accent, Eh-li-anne Ra-deeg will get you close

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Not really musical, but what's actually going on with pairs of trainers hanging over cables?

I've always assumed it was just bored kids titting around but there seem to be more unsubstantiated theories floating around about this than there are about JFK or whatever...

stevied

Not really musical, but what's actually going on with pairs of trainers hanging over cables?

If it's in France, I think it's a reference to the two boys who died at the hands of the police after being chased into an electricity substation in Clichy-sous-Bois, a place in the northern suburbs of Paris dominated by bleak high-rise housing projects. They were running from the police after a reported robbery, which actually never occured. Their deaths, and a third boy was seriously injured, sparked the November 2005 "Uprisings in the Banlieues", a series of mostly nightly riots, that lasted for about three weeks, spreading across Paris, and to other cities in France.

More info here

http://webcast.berkeley.edu:8080/ramgen/events/igs/french_riots.rm

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

In a dancehall sound when the operator uses the volume or some switch to make it sound like the volume being turned up and down in time the bass . . . hmmm not explaining that very well .

eg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

what this playing about with the volume called ?

D

droid

I find it works best with a dial! I call them 'soundclash chops'. It crossed over into production as well.

Client Eastwood

cheers, chopping/mixing in production, i feel that this is where the basslines started to drop out of dancehall such that the bass is just a chop as opposed something riding over the drums. Its almost part of the syncopation as the bassline is just about gone.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I thought it was to mark out gang territory. Particular brands of trainers signifying that X gang sells drugs here, everybody else keep out. That's what it seems to mean in Sheffield anyway. Though naturally it is also kids titting about - some tosspot wannabe badman has slung some up round the corner from me, and there ain't no gangs in S11!!!

(Note to "the S11 Crew" - you are not a gang, you are a group of friends with a marker pen between you, now go back to your GCSEs!)

continuum

smugpolice

I've always assumed it was just bored kids titting around but there seem to be more unsubstantiated theories floating around about this than there are about JFK or whatever...

Isn't this just a really old US gang thing marking where someone got killed?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I thought it was to mark out gang territory. Particular brands of trainers signifying that X gang sells drugs here, everybody else keep out. That's what it seems to mean in Sheffield anyway. Though naturally it is also kids titting about - some tosspot wannabe badman has slung some up round the corner from me, and there ain't no gangs in S11!!!

Yeah that's how I've heard it explained too, specifically with drugs it also functions as a nudge-wink for people looking to score.
(I wonder if we've all just repeated that various vague rumours that Slothrop had already heard though :slanted: ).

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
It's an oldschool way of marking a drug spot, like 1970s or earlier. Don't know about gangs. It doesn't mean anything now and it's just stupid to do it anymore.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Gangs do it to provoke semi-informed speculation on internet forums.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Haha, good call.

I see it a fair amount around towns in New Zealand, can't really imagine it has anything much to do with what was going on in the 70s in America, nor local gangs given the areas I've seen it in...

massrock

It's also a bit of an impromptu social experiment.

Chuck a pair of trainers up on a wire somewhere populated and they will be joined by more.

Just do it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
(a) gangs

(b) drug market open

(c) what Massrock said; kids/frat houses/etc messing around

so everything really

(d) and Tea's bit of course :p

slye

Allied Heights
i've never been quite sure how to pronounce vangelis?

i always thought it was van gel eese, but i'm almost certain that's wrong...