questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

Client Eastwood

yeah he does that

there could be a thread about musicians who grunt/sing/make any kind of noise compulsively as they play

pablo casals did it a lot, it sounds pretty cool, a kind of erratic mumbling that follows the music in a vague kind of way

Art Blakey - Pretty sure Ive heard a version of A Night In Tunisia where you can hear him all the way thru.

Idris Muhammad gets well excited too.

zhao

there are no accidents
why are "bootlegs" called "boot-legs"???

and why is the act of "boot legging" called "boot legging"????

reeltoreel

Coz you used to hide your contraband liquor in the legs of your capacious boots, as a smuggler/piratical type. The term came to be applied to any kind of contraband, including illegal copies of records.

That's the usual explanation. Seems a bit pat, though...

reeltoreel

Oh - George Benson and Oscar Peterson both scat/sing along while they play.

George follows his guitar solos pretty much note-for-note! Maybe they added it in later...

jambo

slip inside my schlafsack
In the olden days the pirates of the caribbean would smuggle collie weed in the boots of their austin allegros.

gabriel

The Heatwave
rolexmain.jpg

who's this girl?

it's not lisa maffia is it?

Client Eastwood

the spelling, anything with Nu-'X' is a bad thing. Nu-'X'z is worzer. I heard the term but likewise never exactly worked out what is means. Is it drum'n'bass-lite ?

D

droid

ninjaman used to work as a road sweeper in kingston

not really, it's a type of gun

LOL. its a 12 gauge automatic shotgun. Also the name of a 90s steelie and cleevie riddim.

bigbeat but with all the fun taken out of it. Quite serious.

Sounds like a bad thing until you consider that bigbeat with the 'fun' in it = Fatboy Slim.

If ever there was a genre that could be described as 'd+b at the wrong speed' its nu-breakz.

Still, they had the right idea - bass heavy breakbeat at 130ish bpm... Botchitt and Scarper is the label to check.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Still, they had the right idea - bass heavy breakbeat at 130ish bpm... Botchitt and Scarper is the label to check.

yikes, droid!

i felt it took all the bad bits of post-pulp fiction coffee table d'n'b, slowed it down and made it more mid-rangey and cluttered.

D

droid

Youre not totally wrong there. The Tonic and T-Power stuff isn't bad at all though. The main problem with it all was the stiffness of the sound...

I do have a sneaking fondness for some of it though as we were involved in a breakbeat club in the late 90's and would play the more wacky bits of Nu-breaks along with old skool hardcore, 130s electronica, D+B at 33 :D and the odd bit of garage or techno... long before dubstep came along it acted as a kind of DJ glue for other 130ish type muzak... as I said - they had the right idea.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ta folks, that makes sense, will look into the suggested stuff at some point when I feel I can take it. ;)
I'd happily admit to liking a fair ammount of big-beat, although I'm not sure how much of it is a 'nostalgia for my youth' sort of thing.

john eden

male pale and stale
Sounds like a bad thing until you consider that bigbeat with the 'fun' in it = Fatboy Slim.

If ever there was a genre that could be described as 'd+b at the wrong speed' its nu-breakz.

I refer you to: http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2004/03/bad-motherfucker-on-two-turntables-go-off/

Freq Nasty's "boomin back atcha" was alright. I had a botchit and scarper comp which was passable.

Shut Up and Dance sort've had their dalliance with it as well.

Overall it was shite, however. I am happy to be convinced otherwise, but consider this unlikely.