Dissensus Anniversary

craner

Beast of Burden
Good Lord. 6!

So which are the greatest threads in the history of Dissensus?

I vote for the 80s Soul and 2-step threads, Luka's Invent Neocon Strategies, and one of ones with Padraig/HMLTs going berserk (though I can't pick one of these).

This is where you can reboot vintage threads so we can all have a laugh (and point out the bits we are supposed to be laughing at) -- or then again marvel at K-punk's noble attempts to spur complex theoretical debate. (Someone can get extra points for digging up the infamous K-punk/Luka tiff -- sometime deep in the winter of 2004, I recall...)

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Good Lord. 6!

So which are the greatest threads in the history of Dissensus?

I vote for the 80s Soul and 2-step threads, Luka's Invent Neocon Strategies, and one of ones with Padraig/HMLTs going berserk (though I can't pick one of these).

This is where you can reboot vintage threads so we can all have a laugh (and point out the bits we are supposed to be laughing at) -- or then again marvel at K-punk's noble attempts to spur complex theoretical debate. (Someone can get extra points for digging up the infamous K-punk/Luka tiff -- sometime deep in the winter of 2004, I recall...)

all on the forthcoming commemorative dvd. it's a tearjerker, trust me.

jenks

thread death
Craner

get your arse on here more often!

The Luka/Padraig debate/debacle remains my favourite for its car crash compelling watchability.

We had a thread a while ago about those we missed.

I stil miss Melchior, Randy Watson, originaldrum and yes, despite everything, Kpunk.

As well as this any time Craner and Luka decide to go off and do interesting things with their lives, I miss them. I was delighted to see the return of Woebot and wish Sufi would post more often but alternatively there are people I would prefer wouldn't post so often and that would be impolite to single them out - I am sure there are people that wish I would go away.

well done dissensus - let's hope there are more happy returns.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like: the breakfast thread, "Jade Goody: The Musical", the amazing longevity of "Pointless but it does my head in", "Hot [whatever] school babes", Martin's frankly uncanny Padraig/HMLT impression, the 'toothpaste-gate' tiff between droid and JE, and watching Ollie C fall in love with nomadologist.

martin

----
The Toccawich (?) posts - his name's not coming up in search, but all his stuff about the Danish police and Satanic mind control were ace. Especially the accompanying illustrations. And did we ever find out from Yoghurt where all those gold rings are stashed in London?

Looking back at some of the old threads feels dead weird, especially with people actually discussing the Libertines, Mark vaunting the possibility of 'Christian communism' and stuff related to the first Dissensus meet in Bethnal Green. I don't come on that much now, but other ones that stick out for me were Rachel Verinder threatening to rip peoples' heads off in an argument about Time Out hip hop lists; the morning that everyone went mad and posted a load of ludicrous polls in the Music thread; anything involving Padraig; the where to eat in London thread (some great tips in there, ta!); the one where the bloke came on slagging off reggae fans who didn't understand patois, and then claimed 'Batty Rider' was slagging off gay bikers...the squid, naturally...

Ah, those were the days, every single thread used to get derailed 10 posts in...and what happened to JoeSchmo(e)? I remember certain IMs getting passed between members about antagonizing him off the board for his smug retorts (nobody actually did anything, Dissensus is well behaved)...and where did Rob LoveEcstasyCrime ('satanmcnugget') disappear to? God, seems like a million years ago.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
During one 'Dissensus is run by fascists' crisis I started fantasizing about catastrophically absurd admin pairings. E.g. Ian Town and Yoghurt Sothoth one week, Stelfox and nomad the next, end of.

you young ones don't remember the flame wars of yore. the cold rationalist purges, the christmas massacre... many a decent soul flew into them, with good intentions blazing, only to never return. automated birthday greetings on the homepage as their only memorial.
darkside business

Toccawich was a legend. Sad that Rob's not around anymore.

craner

Beast of Burden
Rachel Verinder threatening to rip peoples' heads off in an argument about Time Out hip hop lists

Ha ha, essential!

The Ian Town thread was incredible...the one about megaphones...

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
'Yacht Disco', 'Sexy Album Covers', 'US TO BOMB IRAN TOMORROW' (about 5 times), anything involving Stelfox getting intense and/or sticking up for Phil Collins, the real time 2008 US election thread...

nomos

Administrator
We are 8
wlEmoticon-birthdaycake.png

What were the highlights of the last year? I wasn't around as much.

sufi

lala
We are 8
wlEmoticon-birthdaycake.png

What were the highlights of the last year? I wasn't around as much.
these:
the payfordissensus thread said:
g4s video,
dissensus the novel,
afrobeats,
luka's triumphant return to conquer the stratford thread were some of my highlights.
+ blackdown declared dissensus dead
& scuba(?) declared us all cunts

= brilliant!
Many Happy Returns Dissensus!