Da Crunked Up Southern Rap thread

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
fuck this is good....

Yes but it was also sort of embarassing- like, making you laugh uncomfortably. Dizzee's double time flow makes the southern boys sound retarded (literally). That slow southern rapping is good on its own but adding grime MCing doesn't work. I'd like to hear other opinions.

mikemac

You can find a lot of new crunk tunes here and a few more here.

Dirty Doc Jam is a producer associated with the Crime Mob and he has some good tracks on his site, including the great "GA Girls" track.

gumdrops

if people want to hear some REAL hardcore southern hip-hop production, they should check out the ying yang twins mixtape 'only the crunk survive'. the beats on the first 3-4 tracks alone are some of the best in any genre all year. incredibly intense and unrelenting - amazing stuff.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
mikemac said:
You can find a lot of new crunk tunes

I knew about tj's but not A.C. I download hundreds of tracks from tj's about June of this year and before I could even go through them lost it all in a hard-drive crash and they have taken most of them down :(

zhao

there are no accidents
are there good compilations of Southern Hiphop out? like the Run the Road of Crunk?

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
confucius said:
are there good compilations of Southern Hiphop out? like the Run the Road of Crunk?

well, there's mixtapes. DJ Smallz 'Southern Smoke' series is usually a good bet, and the DJ Drama and Big Boi 'Got That Purp' mixtape from a couple months back was really excellent.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The 'Down and Dirty pt 2 Purple Codeine' mix by Dj Envy has a pretty good tracklisting too...

Just heard (albeit very belatedly) something called 'G-Code freestyle' with some of Houston's best,um, freestyling over one dope beat. The Bun-B verse is staggeringly good - must get his new album...

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah mixtapes is ill but I was lookin' for sum'n dat would sit pretty on me OWN tables... na mean?

dat's why I be lookin for good albums to get...

zhao

there are no accidents
shit. I gots a problem.

I was on Mixtapemurder.com and mixtapeunit.com, and they's far too fuckin' many of these things.

ok, so gangsta grillz and southern smoke, but they's fucking 30 of them each! some are sold out but they's still 15 in each series to choose from!

and the Down & dirty series looks good, the Best of Scarface looks good, the texas mixtape masacre be lookin' good... shit it ALL looks good. they all have either quality names I know, or unknown shit that I'm curious about.

Got that purp is sold out on both.

when it comes down to it I jus' don't know enough. I know what I like... dark, low, the serious gangsta lean. like some of those mean Bun B tracks so ill... not feeling Lil Jon's hollerin style too much anymore but a healthy dose can be invigorating.

if anybody got more specific suggestions I'm alllll ears.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Southern Smoke 8, I think it is, the one with Chamillionaire, is a really great one from a year or two back.

Get Jeezy's "Trap or Die" mixtape, classic from this year.

The DJ Rapid Ric Whut It Dew and Whut It Dew 2 mixtapes (from 2004 and 2005 respectively) are great. I like the first one more though.

Best houston mixtape/album from the past couple years is, without a doubt in my mind, "The Day Hell Broke Loose 2," the swishahouse mixtape that first unleashed "Still Tippin" along with a gang of other classic tracks that are still underappreciated! "Magno and Killa" and "I'ma Pimp" are so hot.

"Crunk Classics" is an odd-yet-consistent non-mixtape compilation. Like, its a stretch to call all the songs 'crunk classics' and its v. diverse, but all of the songs are great.

http://iap-tv.com/ is prob. the best place to get mixtapes.

As for Lil Jon's 'one trick' or whatever. No way. I mean he's popular on a one-trick style (and that style still has plenty of permutations left - check out the FUCKING AMAZING beat he did on the Bun B album, "Trill Recognize Trill") but for years he's been doing production from all angles; i mean, check out his stuff on So So Def Bass All Stars II, then check out "Play No Games" with Trick Daddy, then the beat he did on the Teedra Moses album - he's an incredibly diverse producer. Or just buy the second Lil Jon + the Eastside Boys album.

zhao

there are no accidents
this is what I'm getting:

1 x DJ Smallz - Southern Smoke 11
1 x Lil Wayne & DJ Drama - Gangsta Grillz: Dedication
1 x Chamillionaire - Chamillitary: Volume 1
1 x Young Jeezy/DJ Drama - Trap Or Die: Special Collector's Edition
1 x DJ Drama/P$C - Gangsta Grillz: Down With The King
1 x DJ Drama - Bun B & The Middlefingaz
1 x DJ Smallz - Southern Smoke (Digitally Remastered & ReInvented)
1 x The Aphilliates and Purple Ribbon Ent. - Got That Purp
1 x UGK - Trill Azz Mixez

I'm about to hit the check out button -- speak now or forever hold your peace... :)

zhao

there are no accidents
DavidD said:
"Trap or Die"

Whut It Dew and Whut It Dew 2

"The Day Hell Broke Loose 2,"

"Crunk Classics"

just copped all these in addition to those mixes. bumpin the Swisha "hell broke loose 2" right now. shit is real... real nice...

EXACTLY the type o shit I was looking for.

also got a grip of other dirty south too... Frayser Boy, Gucci Mane, Lil Boosie, Boyz in da hood, lots of Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, Eight Ball, lots of Lil Wayne, Project Pat, 3-6, TI, YingYang, Webbie, Droop, Jeezy... right now it's all I'm listening to... when I wake up in the morning, before I go to bed at night... in the car, at work, drinking beers at the crib.

makes me proud to have lived in Texas for 3 years. and I always used to be a little embarrassed about it...

Last edited:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Has this thread been superceded by any others? Bumping it so I can come back & ask complicated questions sometime soon about records that all revolve around 'hoes' & what the artists would like to do to them :-/

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Right...I did some throwback golden age hip hop progs on net radio recently & was saying it was cos I've gone off modern hip hop years ago due to the wall-to-wall hoe-slappin', but of course the production is often ace & sometimes they just get in yr head & the turn of phrase makes you laugh, so I went back & started dragging out all my southern hip hop, related stuff etc...Here's a bunch of what I really rate (don't laugh at em!) - are there any BANGAZ I'm missing completely? Tons, I'm sure! Not passe stuff, not stuff trying to be clever, not RnB-type stuff, just full-on headbangers...

Geto Boys "Mind Playing Tricks...", "Six Feet Deep" etc
Willie D "I Need Some Pussy"
Scarface "A Minute To Pray...", "I Never Seen A Man Die", Game Over"
2 Live Crew "Me So Horny" (classic), "Hoochie Mama"
Luke "I Wanna Rock" (classic)
Poison Clan "Shake Whatcha Mama Gave Ya"
MC ADE
Shy D "True That"
Tag Team "Whoomp" (was this the original? I seem to remember another version)
Quad City DJs "C'mon Ride It"
Splack Pack (loads of it)
B-Rock "MyBabyDaddy"
UGK "Big Pimpin" (classic), "Use Me Up", "Ride My Car", "Diamonds & Wood"
Bun B "Git It"
Screw mixtapes (June 27th yadda yadda)
Big Hawk "You Already Know" (classic), Swang"
Big Moe "Sippin Codine"
Clipse 1st & 2nd LPs (classic)
Three 6 Mafia "Stay Fly", "Sippin On Some Syrup" (classic)
Project Pat "Chicken Head"
Ying Yang Twins "Wait" (classic) & LP it is from, Halftime
Outkast - I do like the earlier stuff, but especially I must admit "Ms Jackson", "BOB" & the "Love Below" album
Juvenile - "Down Bottom" & "Back That Azz Up" (classic), "Slow Motion"
Lil Wayne "Shine" (I prefer the fresh earlier stuff to the miserable later stuff!), "A Millie", "Georgia Bush"
Cash Money "Project Bitch" (classic)
C-Murder "Down 4 My N's"
Trick Daddy "Nann"
Mystikal "Shake Your Ass", Tarantula album
Ludacris "What's Your Fantasy?" (classic) & other stuff from that era
Lil Jon "Get Low" (classic) & that album, "Yeah"
Chamillionaire "Ridin" (ftw!)
TI "Rubberband Man" & "What You Know"
Gucci Mane "So Icy"
D4L "Laffy Taffy"
Souljah Boy "Crank That" (ftw!!)
Lil Twist "Drumma On Da Beat"