Da Crunked Up Southern Rap thread

zhao

there are no accidents
i realize that gangster culture as we know it was if not created, then for sure promoted and given the prominence (dominance) it has today, by the CIA, through breaking up of Black Panthers by assassination of key leaders, and subsequent marketing strategies - forces which want to see crime and black on black violence instead of consciousness and protest in the black communities (ghettos).

And this stemming from a history of urban design which sectioned off parts of town with no hospitals, schools, or jobs, but plenty of liquor stores, for poor people of color, into which they pumped massive quantities of narcotics from the 80s onwards.

knowing all that. i still LOVE ignorant thug rap. it's a problem, i know. a contradiction which has no possible resolution. I guess all i can say is that rhythm culture not only survives, but thrives, in any condition... even under the most repressive and violent conditions... and bears amazing fruit.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
and of course gangsta rap is in a way a method of the racist powers to turn Afro-diasporic culture against African Americans themselves...

it's a sad and hopeless situation... my educated black friends don't go near the shit.

philblackpool

gamelanstep
So I post a list that proves this is a total weak spot for me. Everyone else rolls their eyes a bit, hints there's a ton of better stuff out there but then doesn't even say "Here's my favourite one right now". Hmmm, are my suspicions confirmed and secretly every other dirty south record is weak-ass mumble-mouthed nonsense? ;-)

luka

i think its more of a 'where do i start' thing. although did you read this thread through?

zhao

there are no accidents
and somebody messaged me about re-upping that dirty souf mix i did from that time... i will look for it, because i'd like to hear it again too. but here is the TL:

01 Intro
02 Young Jeezy - Gangster Music
03 Bun-B - Dripped Up and Draped Out
04 Paul Wall with Rapid Ric - Tall Tee
05 Lil Wayne - How you Ride
06 Maceo - Nextel Chirp
07 Project Pat (i think?) with DJ Smallz
08 Project Pat and Frasier Boy - unknown
09 Swisha House f/ ??? Mystery MC
10 Three Six Mafia - Got It For Sale
11 Bun-B, ??? Mystery MC, and DJ Drama
12 Swisha House f/Mike Jones and Mz. Trinity - Rulez
13 Disturbing Tha Peace f/ Shawnna - Posted
14 DJ Smallz - Dirty South Instrumentals
15 Lil Wayne
16 ??? Mystery Femcee
17 Lil Jon
18 Trillville - No Problem
19 DJ Drama with Killer Mike, Bubba Sparxxx, Three-6-Mafia - Get 'Em Shawty
20 T.I. - You Don't Know Me
21 David Banner (I think)
22 Akon with Young Jeezy - Soul Survivor Alternate Version Remix
23 Lil' Wayne - Get Real Gangsta
24 Outro

zhao

there are no accidents
and if y'all lookin 4 that undaground shit my bwoy Slizzard over at twankle been keepin da blog on lock for a looooooooooooooooonnnnnng ass minute.

so yeah, this southern rap shit goes deep. real deep. deeper than any one of us thinks.
don't nobody get no silly ideas about shortage of bangers.

Last edited:

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Ha! Well, that's good news :) Yeah, I read this thread btw.

Like the Maceo one - just stumbled across that coincidentally the other day.

Best Drumma Boy pieces?!

zhao

there are no accidents
damn twankle over and out. terrible. now i regret not visiting in the last few years... sigh.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome

zhao

there are no accidents
dope! thanks brohammed.

1098174_10151838765839179_419186977_n.jpg

philblackpool

gamelanstep

Thanks for this. Not got any more than my Dirty South 101 from before for you, but thanks! Had a quick whizz through some of them & definitely like a bunch, especially the Tommy Wright tune. Impressed by some of the prices for em on Discogs - bet there's a buncha copies of stuff like this languishing in dusty southern stores! The older ones just show yet again how much bloomin hip hop there still is out there & underrated!

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I collect (well, I DJ with, which is how I justify collecting) New Orleans bounce vinyl. They WERE all in dusty southern basements, but thanks to Katrina a lot of the hyper-local stuff is now unbelievably scarce. I have a flood-damaged copy of Females in Charge's "Where's My Bitch?" that always gives me a twinge of sadness.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
The older ones just show yet again how much bloomin hip hop there still is out there & underrated!

Oh yeah, these are INCREDIBLY deep histories that are sickeningly overlooked by hip hop historians/academics etc. who are still stuck in that New York-centric/"no meaningful southern rap before Outkast except the Geto Boys" mindset.

I think one of my favourite things about New Orleans is how it plugs back into these much older African-American and street music traditions. There's like a whole microgenre of people rapping over (usually sampled but not always) brass bands, which is on record from about 1987:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_mqhLhlXK4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/f4NyFMu6L1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Xs09H5kJEdQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

philblackpool

gamelanstep
The flood-damaged thing is like Norton Records, the rock n roll label - went to a friend's house last week & he had a couple from their flooded east side basement with special sorta commemorative replacement record company limited edition sleeves instead of the wrecked picture sleeves.

I've never got very deep into New Orleans stuff. I'm sure everyone knows about that book though, which sounds like a good read:
One of the things drawing me back to the dirty south stuff recently was finally listening to the copy of Mystikal's "Tarantula" which I got for a quid a coupla years ago & unexpectedly thinking "Blimey, this is a pretty good album really". The first track on that has a sorta emulation of a trad New Orleans band going on. Very much interested in the other ones you mentioned like that - that Ricky B one is super likeable & straight on my wants list!

Was also blissfully unaware of 'sissy bounce' til this very morning - !

DannyL

Wild Horses
My knowledge of this stuff is weak, but some mixes which do go pretty deep are the DJ Diabiase/Burn 1 "Presidential" mixes. Heavy country raps all the way.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
Cleared. Need to clear some disk space and I'll be right on that mix.
There's a Ricky B vinyl comp just come out on Sinking City records, which is a lot easier than hunting down those Mobo Click 12"s (I'd imagine it's probably a better pressing too.)
Here's an awesome Mystikal guest spot:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BnpxoHWaMKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>