The GAY rapper/HIPHOP question

Paul Hotflush

techno head
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
People also overlook the fact that the majority of black male 'homophobia' stems from prison culture, and is talking about rape as an instrument of power rather than about consensual gay sex or gay culture. For me that doesnt make quotes like 'recieving ass backwards' any less distasteful (Jeru the Damaja from Scientifical Madness, a track that I otherwise love to bits), but the context is important.

For example - Mike Banks saying 'you have to keep your asshole tight in life as in prison' - is that homophobic? Or just a call to people to be on point and watch out for themselves?

Red herring. This is a separate issue.

geto.blast

snap on rims
red herring?

you can't even begin to understand the shame of prison rape, it totally factors in. mix that up with poor education and a tremendous pressure for black males not in jail to "be the man" around the house and yes i can see lots of posturing and gay bashing.

they had jail riots in the bahamas when they decided to give away free condoms. the inmates rioted to protest the implication that they were having sex.

now maybe gay black males just NEVER get into hiphop and tend to gravitate towards the genres that have more queer-appeal like house, r'n'b and grime??

SOS

really liking this tune by sissy nobby, Just heard it on the xlr8tr 'sissy bounce mix' from late last year (worth a listen although its pretty different from this particular track). This track stands out though as its more verse oriented, but it's definitely the first time I've heard a black man openly rapping about love for another man, whilst simultaneously sounding completely comfortable and rooted in conventional hip hop.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

Puffy's fairly 'out'. There was a radio DJ in NYC who bought a picture of him kissing a younger Caucasian boy, and put it up on her website.

Now, within a day, she took it down, she was fired, and proceeded to get work in another state... As per usual for when someone attempts to mess with Puffy in his prime.

He's never spoken on it again, but, it's kind of one of the unspoken things...

As for any other rappers, it's all either speculation and/or hearsay...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Such a cool way to do it. Wish he'd left it til the album release so it was just sleevenotes but it's great anyway. "Humble ole me had to flex for the folks".