hip-hop, where to begin?

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
i've always thought the tribe were a bit boring - the student who's not into hip hop really's second group of choice next to the beasties. Give me the attitude any time really

dunno where you got that idea from - know loads of hip hop heads who like the underground side of things who are also into tribe / pharcyde etc.

and why should it matter whether one group of people like a particular artist? surely its whether you like it that matters.

hip hop is a broad church, one of the reasons its remained so vital.

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
dunno where you got that idea from - know loads of hip hop heads who like the underground side of things who are also into tribe / pharcyde etc.

and why should it matter whether one group of people like a particular artist? surely its whether you like it that matters.

because they like them as a default artist -" i don't like hip hop but "- also he said cold vein was crap and i didn't agree, give me the attitude anytime.

bassnation said:
hip hop is a broad church, one of the reasons its remained so vital.

i don't like churches

henry s

Street Fighting Man
does anybody remember Doug Lazy?...he was hip house back when rap and dance music weren't really on speaking terms ('89)...had one great album, Doug Lazy Gettin' Crazy (one of many cassettes stolen from my car on the mean streets of NYC)...

Dusko

mms said:
i've always thought the tribe were a bit boring - the student who's not into hip hop really's second group of choice next to the beasties. Give me the attitude any time really
Reckon you're wrong on that one - most of the hip-hop heads I grew up with loved the first two Tribe albums.

But you got me thinking. Top 5 hip-hop artists that the "student who's not into hip-hop" had albums by (and I may be showing my age here):

1) Cypress Hill (only the second album mind you)
2) Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (or whatever that pretentious unlistenable cobblers was called)
3) Beasties
4) Doctor Octagon (perhaps just for the kudos of owning a Mo'Wax record & preferable to the HEADZ quintriplicate box set which cost more than their monthly rent.)
5) De La Soul for 3 Feet High and Rising (but will crow about how they've been rubbish ever since)

Not trying to be snobby here mind you, just a fashion I noticed growing up with people who were mostly into Ride and Ned's Atomic Dustpan and only liked hip-hop that got played by the smarmy git off The Evening Session.

Wonder what the equivalents would be today? I'll put a fiver on Jurassic 5.

D

droid

Dusko said:
Reckon you're wrong on that one - most of the hip-hop heads I grew up with loved the first two Tribe albums.

Ditto - Tribe are essential - even up to 'The Love Movement'.

They practically defined hip-hop in the early 90's - and the influence of their production style cant be underestimated - those ultra compressed, massively loud beats and sharp snares.. a style thats almost passe these days due to overuse...

gumdrops

tribe and de la are the most influential groups on the east coast underground, you can hear people trying to be them everywhere. the problem most of these new 'torchbearers' have is that theyre really lightweight copies of the old native tongues ethos. at least tribe and de la's production had weight, the likes of 3582 and whoever have no balls, their beats are nonthreatening and totally devoid of attitude or power. but anyone who says tribe were only for people who didnt like hip hop is talking bollocks, even bun b says he liked tribe.

Dusko

henry s said:
does anybody remember Doug Lazy?...he was hip house back when rap and dance music weren't really on speaking terms ('89)...had one great album, Doug Lazy Gettin' Crazy (one of many cassettes stolen from my car on the mean streets of NYC)...
Wasn't Doug Lazy responsible for "Let it Roll, Get Bold" or some such?

And when did rap and dance music get friendly after that? When the Prodigy mixed up Method Man? Apart from the Chems and Justin Warfield I can't remember much interaction between either camp.

bassnation

the abyss
gumdrops said:
tribe and de la are the most influential groups on the east coast underground, you can hear people trying to be them everywhere. the problem most of these new 'torchbearers' have is that theyre really lightweight copies of the old native tongues ethos. at least tribe and de la's production had weight, the likes of 3582 and whoever have no balls, their beats are nonthreatening and totally devoid of attitude or power. but anyone who says tribe were only for people who didnt like hip hop is talking bollocks, even bun b says he liked tribe.

exactly. just because they weren't gangsta doesn't mean they aren't hip hop. its much broader than people give it credit for.

besides, they are wicked.

gumdrops

theres a lot of weird hipster types that like to act like anything that isnt/wasnt 'street' should be dismissed as its not 'real' hip-hop. i suppose it fits right in line with hip-hop's current anti-intellectualism and might be a worthy cause these days seeing as even mos and kweli cant make a decent album anymore, but groups like tribe werent at all disowned by hip hop like digable planets were, they were accepted right next to redman, slick rick, Pe et al

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
henry s said:

twin hype for those who like to groove /caveman i'm ready/ mama said knock u out - ll cool j/back by dope demand king bee/chubb rock , caught up/ shut up and dance - i used to dance to alot of hip hop in the same placess where you'd heard early hardcore and techno/house - it wasnt an issue really

Octopus?

Dusko said:

And when did rap and dance music get friendly after that? When the Prodigy mixed up Method Man? Apart from the Chems and Justin Warfield I can't remember much interaction between either camp.

Ghostface is a big house head, occasionally mentions some producers and actually released some house remix 12"inches of tracks from "Pretty Toney". Beyond that...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
originally posted by Dusko

one and the same...also on the album was "H.O.U.S.E.", where the rap/dance interface couldn't be any clearer...(in fact he, uh, spells it out)...

originally posted by Dusko
And when did rap and dance music get friendly after that?

sure, the hard corps of the rap and dance worlds will never get along, but the early 90's saw a great deal of crossover...(seemed like every dance music outfit had their own Mister C or MC Tunes, or whoever)...also, Technotronic, Betty Boo, scores of others...well, OK, crossover of rap into dance, not really the other way around...(ahh, rap...you and your masculinity hang-ups)...

DavidD

can't be stopped
gumdrops said:
theres a lot of weird hipster types that like to act like anything that isnt/wasnt 'street' should be dismissed as its not 'real' hip-hop. i suppose it fits right in line with hip-hop's current anti-intellectualism and might be a worthy cause these days seeing as even mos and kweli cant make a decent album anymore, but groups like tribe werent at all disowned by hip hop like digable planets were, they were accepted right next to redman, slick rick, Pe et al

Dude Digable Planets are great, ESPECIALLY Blowout Comb.

mms

sometimes
Octopus? said:
Ghostface is a big house head, occasionally mentions some producers and actually released some house remix 12"inches of tracks from "Pretty Toney". Beyond that...

hmm chill rob g - whom snap totally nicked off, the whole of broklyn beats esp todd terry who produced loads of early hip hop, a.d.j on nu groove etc i'll house you, the house that cee built off longt live the kane, last black house on the left off divine styler - there are loads of examples of hip hop and dance music proper crossing over, alot of the nu york stuff had a particulary hip hop vibe with breaks and 808 kicks etc.

for music where hip hop and house/tchno music really fused esp during the ninetees - id say hardcore .

mms

sometimes
Dusko said:

But you got me thinking. Top 5 hip-hop artists that the "student who's not into hip-hop" had albums by (and I may be showing my age here):

1) Cypress Hill (only the second album mind you)
2) Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy (or whatever that pretentious unlistenable cobblers was called)
3) Beasties
4) Doctor Octagon (perhaps just for the kudos of owning a Mo'Wax record & preferable to the HEADZ quintriplicate box set which cost more than their monthly rent.)
5) De La Soul for 3 Feet High and Rising (but will crow about how they've been rubbish ever since)

Not trying to be snobby here mind you, just a fashion I noticed growing up with people who were mostly into Ride and Ned's Atomic Dustpan and only liked hip-hop that got played by the smarmy git off The Evening Session.

Wonder what the equivalents would be today? I'll put a fiver on Jurassic 5.

it's just an opinion - he sounds like a girl and they are boring and jazzy, hip hoppers really like em i know but they are also the students default hip hop band of choice next to beasties.
all their ouput apart from a few tracks doesn't hold up in my opinion to the cannibal ox lp .
i dunno i have problems with the jazzy breaks thing in hip hop anyway - i always prefered hip hop more electronic, there were some excellent records made by those types of bands and premier etc but i have to say i prefered the more technical style of production .

Last edited: