do you need to be an expert in dance music to 'get' grime?

dexorcist

Bass Machine 808
2stepfan said:
. There are LOADS of decent dubplate tunes on dubplate but you can't buy 'em.

talking of dubplate, any body know when its going to back on line?

also anybody know when these are going to be released?

Oris Jay - Bigger Times

Darqwan - Eyes Wide Red

3underscore

mms said:
och there is plenty of it about i think - not tons but plenty about of a good quality - the problem is trying to track it down - the labels/distributors and the length of time that takes to happen/ for them to get released -some labels are on it and organised - dmz and hyperdub, hotflush for instance but others aren't .

Right - woah, this has taken a big skip from being on grime (which I agree with Matt about) to Dubstep, which is suffering completely different problems right now.

I think mms has pretty much covered the problem with dubstep - the whole culture is very drum & bass, dubplate style. Kode 9, Youngsta - they only seem to have dubplates! There are only the three labels really running now - Tempa has been trying to sort out its supply line with Soul Ja (I believe) so they can get a more steady release programme. DMZ just tease everyone (they have so many tunes, surely?!) and then there are so many VIPs it is just scary. But, all the same, there is a huge amount of old Benny Ill and stuff on vehicle etc which really stands up well - not all about having the freshest of the fresh. Mainly because if you aren't one of five people, it won't be possible!

mikeray

out of touch
captain easychord said:
this is very true, all of this chart-aiming stuff is bait. i would love nothing more than for a return to the eskimo dance vibe, has everyone seen the DVD's?

I see all these grime dvd's for sale on the internet (im from the US) and they all say that they are the ultimate grime dvd. which ones are good?

DJL

i'm joking
mikeray said:
I see all these grime dvd's for sale on the internet (im from the US) and they all say that they are the ultimate grime dvd. which ones are good?

Risky Roads
Practice Hours
Lord of the Decks/Mics