trouc

trouc
Moby Dick is my favorite book! it is extremely weird. I am always surprised at its inclusion in mainstream canons because it's so out there. It possibly jumps modernity and goes right into postmodernity --the kind with soul though. it's also hilarious!

I think Moby Dick may be the only book I've ever read to make me hungry (for clam chowder specifically). Somehow I quit about 2/3 of the way through. Maybe I should pick it up again.

Reading the Travels of Marco Polo at the moment. The chapter on Beijing makes it seem quite the modern city (I guess this was written in the 12th or 13th century?). I wish he'd included Europe in his writing; though it obviously would've held no interest at the time the context would've been interesting.

jenks

thread death
Moby Dick is my favorite book! it is extremely weird. I am always surprised at its inclusion in mainstream canons because it's so out there. It possibly jumps modernity and goes right into postmodernity --the kind with soul though. it's also hilarious!

I think I agree - it took me about three months to read it the first time and about a week the second time. I think that is such a compendium of a book - a great narrative drive, huge philosophical tracts, natural history - almost more like a reference work than a novel.

It is weird and I think he takes huge risks with his characters in a way few (possibly Hawthorne?) were doing at the time. It is post modern I suppose, in the same way that i feel Tristram Shandy and Chaucer are.

Lautrie Anderson did a show a few years ago on Moby Dick which was rather lovely and clearly in love with the book.

ripley

I think I agree - it took me about three months to read it the first time and about a week the second time. I think that is such a compendium of a book - a great narrative drive, huge philosophical tracts, natural history - almost more like a reference work than a novel.

It is weird and I think he takes huge risks with his characters in a way few (possibly Hawthorne?) were doing at the time. It is post modern I suppose, in the same way that i feel Tristram Shandy and Chaucer are.

Lautrie Anderson did a show a few years ago on Moby Dick which was rather lovely and clearly in love with the book.

I love unreliable narrators, especially when the author is clearly having fun with it.

and the way it just goes all over the place, not even a single narrator who is untrustwirthy, but all the different narrative experiments, the multiple ways of storytelling: encyclopedia entry, play, soliloquy, story-within-a-story-within-a-story..

and the gay/homoerotic/autoerotic subtexts (barely subtext really) seems rather daring for the time, and entirely appropriate and entertaining... especially the super long repetitive passages about "squeezing the spermaceti" Haw!

I wish wish wish I had caught the laurie anderson show that sounds brilliant

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
The homoeroticism in the book feels totally natural in the book. Ishmael's relationship with Queequeg early in the book, with all that cuddling and whatnot!

It is amazing, the book prefigures cubism, Melville seems to be looking at the subject from all angles at once. It is mentioned in the intro to the edition that I have that Melville wrote the narrative core first, then began to insert the various parts that emerged from his research into the story. The effect is something like reading a collage.

Interesting to think about how our perception of whales has changed so much. From monsters of the deep to gentle giants in the span of one hundred years. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that whales were so difficult to see properly in bygone years; now, with underwater cameras and such, we have a very clear idea of what they look like. The imagination of whalers had painted them as horrible creatures bent on the destruction of those humans that dared traverse the open seas.

I read the first chapter of the book of Jonah for the first time over the weekend. Surprised how much the story was glossed over and treated rather quickly. Melville's treatment of the Jonah story is so much more rich.

Anyone ever read Thomas Mann's Joseph and his Three Brothers? I may have a go at that one next. The Bible is so much more interesting outside the shadow of the church!

:p

IdleRich

IdleRich
Hmm, a lot of this either passed me by or else I've just forgotten it. Must be almost twenty years ago that I read it though, I probably should read it again some time. This is an eternal problem with me, after a certain period I may as well not have read a book and as one learns new things all the time it's almost certain that I would get more out of something reading it when older and (hopefully) wiser.

don_quixote

Trent End
not really literature but... the mark e smith autobiog is hilarious. probably not worth splashing out on though, because it is largely incoherently jumping from topic to topic. his love of reading stands out though. as does his hatred of paul morley and julie burchill.

crackerjack

not really literature but... the mark e smith autobiog is hilarious. probably not worth splashing out on though, because it is largely incoherently jumping from topic to topic. his love of reading stands out though. as does his hatred of paul morley and julie burchill.

Why does he hate Burchill? Cos she's the only person who clings to that professional prole shtick more furiously?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Why does he hate Burchill? Cos she's the only person who clings to that professional prole shtick more furiously?"
He's not exactly the only person who hates her though is he?
That's the second recommendation I've heard of that book today, doubt I'll bother with it though to be honest.
I started reading this book called Dreamers of Decadence by Philippe Julian at the weekend. It's not literature as such either, it's a kind of history of symbolist painters. The book belongs to my girlfriend and I was actually taking it back to her house on Saturday when I started reading it, by the time I got there I was sucked in enough to want to borrow it.

don_quixote

Trent End
i dont think he hates burchill because shes burchill, but more because she is/was a music journalist and quite a prominent one, alongside morley, hence he throws her name in there. but he does have quite an awesome rant against brighton (throwing burchill in here), which went (i'm not quoting here as i dont have the book in front of me) "shit pubs, shit atmosphere. it's so middle class they put pebbles on the beach so they dont get sand between their toes. now blackpool, that's a proper seaside town."

STN

sou'wester
Did anyone see that Mark E Smith interview where he claims to read the Daily Mail because 'at least it's spelled properly'?

Yawny-yawny-yawn.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm currently doing my bi-monthly ''read the first 100 pages of Ulysses and then give up and watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air on your PC again to numb the agony of cerebral strain''.

It's going well, I'm about 70 pages in :D

I'm currently doing my bi-monthly ''read the first 100 pages of Ulysses and then give up and watch The Fresh Prince of Bel Air on your PC again to numb the agony of cerebral strain''.

Don't give up, the cerebral strain eases significantly after the first three episodes when the narrative moves from Stephen's (self-consciously intellectual, philosophical, densely allusive) interior monologue to Bloom's. I read it for the first time over Christmas, it took me five weeks, but it's difficult to reach the end without thinking it's the best novel ever written.

Benny Bunter

I've only ever gotten halfway through it too I'm afraid. One of these days I'm determined to read the whole thing, but I'm put off a bit because I'll have to start again from scratch now.

I think the thing that slowed me down was reading all the extensive notes as I was going along to try and squeeze all the meaning out of it. Its such an incredibly dense book, so many
allusions to areas of literature and history that I know nothing about. You'd need several lifetimes to get to fully understand it all.

A mate of mine got through it by just reading it without worrying about all the references and just enjoying the language. Might try that approach next time. :slanted:

Got a copy of Finnegan's wake that I pick up and shake my head at now and then too Lol :confused::confused::confused:

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
The Proteus episode is perilous indeed, few survive its waters! (sorry just watched Family Guy and I have the no-limbed pirate's voice in my head). Few make it past Proteus, fewer make it past Wandering Rocks, which signals a total shift in Joyce's compositional style, which becomes obscenely avant-garde.

The Wake is a complex topology, no one has really cracked it yet. But Marshall McLuhan, his son Eric, and his various proteges like Donald Theall have a very compelling reading of it. Worth looking into.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
JUST picked up a copy of alan garners "the owl service" in chorlton oxfam...it's meant to be great..anyone read it?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Proteus episode is perilous indeed, few survive its waters! (sorry just watched Family Guy and I have the no-limbed pirate's voice in my head). Few make it past Proteus, fewer make it past Wandering Rocks, which signals a total shift in

Hehe, probably my favourite bit of Family Guy ever (not really all that keen on it otherwise):

*enter sailor dude with four wooden prosthetic limbs*

"Did you lose your arms and legs in battle on the high seas?"

"No - me farrther was a tree".