DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing much to add except

sizzle your last two posts were great, hell_sd keep doing what your doing and guys don't take the music so seriously. Its only dubstep.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
thanks tactics, good to know someones paying attention, given the ridiculous amount of time I spend reading and posting on here. I need to find someone willing to pay me to argue on dissensus. Any takers? I'll shill for you in my sig :p

Logos

Ghosts of my life
boomnoise said:
well, tech itch is already producing dubstep and i do have concerns about people who don't understand the music producing it. this sounds quite elitist but i don't mean to be. what i mean is that to so many people this is a new sound, where as in reality, with six years plus of history behind it, it's anything but.

all the current producers have a deep understanding of where the sound has come from and this, for me, contributes to why the music is so appealing and can have this near spirituality to it, as discussed elsewhere here.

the whole, let's have a bash at making some of this 'dubstep' stuff, attitude which is evident at the dubstepforum, is worrying. i don't think that the punk rock approach works for this sound.

dnb is pretty much the antichrist in dubstep, at least what dnb became is. so it will be a little worrying if more dnd producers add dubstep to their repertoire as just another string on their bow. we'll see what happens though.

I don't think you are being elitist. I'm sure a lot of the dnb mob would throw their hands up in horror if they discovered the roots of dubstep are in the G word.

SIZZLE said:
yeah I agree that as people come in there's a chance for shit to go a bit wrong...

Also, try to add something to the sound, don't be satisfied to copy the pioneers convincingly, that's the real dead end.

methinks there aint no wrong only people who think they're right...

...and the trouble with adding to the sound is you can get the purists hate on it especially if it aint from

well you know where... ;)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
captain easychord said:
i have a real fear of the genre getting invaded by less creative (coughdnb) producers intent on bringing played out reece basslines to the table and fucking with the amazing space the best artists are working in.

as do i, and when i said so on the dubstep forum, all the fusion/ex new school d&b heads threw their toys out of the pram. perhaps i was harsh to single out tech itch, but given what gutta described his new dubstep sound as (acid 303's for fuck's sake!), i stand by my fears...

bassnation

the abyss
Blackdown said:
as do i, and when i said so on the dubstep forum, all the fusion/ex new school d&b heads threw their toys out of the pram. perhaps i was harsh to single out tech itch, but given what gutta described his new dubstep sound as (acid 303's for fuck's sake!), i stand by my fears...

i'd hate to see it go down the same road as drum n bass, but its just the way music works - even the most exclusive scenes get opened up to everyone, even if they aren't reading from the same script.

just look at jungle and hardcore. dubstep wouldn't even exist if we hadn't gone through the same process back in the early nineties with house being snatched away from the boys own crowd and in to the hands of the sweaty massive.

do you want the sound to be big, like really nationwide or worldwide - or do you want it to stay small and controlled? in my experience people say they want their genre to be appreciated by all, but when it happens they find they find popularity is not to their taste - acid teds crashing the party and not having a fucking clue about what its all about.

Last edited:
what are you scared of blackdown ???

...and it came to pass from on high st that there shalt not be any acid 303 squelchy mid range fart noise within dubstep ???

I don't give a shit anymore as long as it sounds good...

...most of it sounds like slowed down clownstep at half speed anyway

I hope dubstep goes off worldwide/mainstream and our mp3's sell like hotcakes !!!

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I think we're coming to the end of a golden age where dubstep was incredibly pure and vital, almost every release was great, every night was rocking... and almost no-one made a living and nothing sold more than a couple of thousand.

And I think wer'e heading into a time when many more people are making it, the quality level will drop, but there'll be a lot more people listening... and with luck the great artists of today will carry on being great, will makie albums, will do bigger shows - and will make a proper living out of it. (Including Blackdown, I hope.) Though none of them seem particularly keen to coin it right now (compare and contrast with grime).

And eventually there'll be some splits in the scene. For now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Dubquixote

Submariner
Blackdown said:
perhaps i was harsh to single out tech itch, but given what gutta described his new dubstep sound as (acid 303's for fuck's sake!), i stand by my fears...

I'm squirming at the thought of this.

bassnation

the abyss
Dubquixote said:
I'm squirming at the thought of this.

depends how its done, surely? dmz has done 4 to the floor which is very different. what if they used a 303 in a unique way that fits with the vibe?

at the end of the day, its just an instrument, no need to load it with baggage about what has gone before. this reaction seems a bit overly precious to me.

boomnoise

♫
2stepfan said:
I think we're coming to the end of a golden age where dubstep was incredibly pure and vital, almost every release was great, every night was rocking... and almost no-one made a living and nothing sold more than a couple of thousand.

Yep. I agree in part. Is the magic becoming worn through popularity though? I'm not sure this is true. Events will continue to rock, and the majority of releases are still vital (a few are not - lists available upon request ;) ). I still think it will take a while for any kind of monetary reward to be reaped by anyone except a few key players.

2stepfan said:
And eventually there'll be some splits in the scene. For now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Are these splits not constantly happening as new sounds are brought to the subbass basis of dubstep? The most interesting aspect atm is the fracturing and what's being made out side of london. But this is simultaneously exciting and worrying for reasons i've mentioned here elsewhere recently.

Re - Tech Itch - With a certain amount of trepidation i received his first dubstep offering in the post today. Haven't had the chance to listen to it yet but i will do trying to remove an prejudice i may have.

elgato

I just dont know
I got the ascension record the other day, and ive got to say it was very different from what i expected. I thought it would be over the top and aggressive and clinically engineered...it didnt really manifest my fears, I just didnt think it was much cop. A bit kind of boring. I wasnt even that impressed by the engineering...much less so than say Mud or Goat Stare. I enjoyed Headhunter's side substantially more (i hope he sticks to the soft and ethereal rather than the harder, soulless-ish tech ive heard in some of his material though - personal preference). On a side note i think its very important that tech in the soulless sense, and tech in the techno sense (including, amogst others, detroit, basic channel, chain reaction) arent all penned into one 'undesirable' whole...its not about generalisations, specificity is important i think. If a lack of emotion is feared then that that is what should be said.

Re: splitting, i think that musically there are already massive distances between records within what is called dubstep, and this will continue to happen, and i think that at some point the 'scenes' surrounding the various forms will become more fractured, and new sounds and styles will emerge within the same rough structure. As to how i feel about it, i dont really mind too much, so long as there continues to be music that i enjoy, i dont see too much point worrying about it as i see it as basically completely inevitable...soon enough there will be even more records within the 'scene' that i dont want to buy or listen to, but what does it really matter? As boomnoise points out, some mutation will be the most exciting thing happening in the scene, some will be the least desirable (both of which will depend entirely on one's perspective)... whatever happens i'd be very suprised if the spirit of the music which i do love disappears entirely. Ive already wasted too much time worrying about how things might go wrong, and elements i dont enjoy, rather than relishing what is clearly a wonderful time to be involved in the music.

Last edited:

Dubquixote

Submariner
bassnation said:
depends how its done, surely? dmz has done 4 to the floor which is very different. what if they used a 303 in a unique way that fits with the vibe?

at the end of the day, its just an instrument, no need to load it with baggage about what has gone before. this reaction seems a bit overly precious to me.

just to clarify i wasn't squirming at the thought of the technology involved but the thought of tech itch doing dubstep. i have seen first hand the beginnings of some of the dnb crowd getting into dubstep and interpreting the darkness of it as something to mosh to and to respond to in an aggressive, albeit enthusiastic, way. i don't see this as a positive development, and no one represents dnb turning into soulless sinister darkness as much as tech itch IMO so their very association with dubstep sets off alarms.

elgato

I just dont know
But do you not think that the alarm bells are perhaps unnecessary? If some, or even most, dubstep goes the way dnb did (which is obviously open to extensive debate), i believe there will continue to be great music made within the framework whether on the fringes or not...look at drum and bass... partisan, certificate 18, breakbeat science, offshore, bassbin, have all released consistently throughout the 'dark days' (if you wish to characterise them as such)...the renegade hardware/freak etc have dominated more and more of the mainstream but who cares let them do what they do...some like it, we might not, but there are still substantial communities in the drum and bass scene very similar to that of the current dubstep scene, and strong veins of music created with originality and emotion...is it not better to focus on the positives rather than the negatives?

bassnation

the abyss
Dubquixote said:
just to clarify i wasn't squirming at the thought of the technology involved but the thought of tech itch doing dubstep. i have seen first hand the beginnings of some of the dnb crowd getting into dubstep and interpreting the darkness of it as something to mosh to and to respond to in an aggressive, albeit enthusiastic, way. i don't see this as a positive development, and no one represents dnb turning into soulless sinister darkness as much as tech itch IMO so their very association with dubstep sets off alarms.

jesus, i find it hard to imagine people moshing to dubstep, i have to be honest.

i suppose out of all the jungle producers doing dubstep that i'd least be interested in, tech itch would probably be up there along with all the other tech step people.

you never know - they may learn more about the space thing they seem to have chucked out the window with jungle.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Dubquixote said:
i have seen first hand the beginnings of some of the dnb crowd getting into dubstep and interpreting the darkness of it as something to mosh to and to respond to in an aggressive, albeit enthusiastic, way. i don't see this as a positive development,
Yeah, I think the biggest danger is that it becomes metallic "boys' music".

But it's hard to draw the line other than to say "I know the "wrong" dubstep when I hear it". I mean, the harder Mala played, the more the girls got into it. And looking at the video of Dubwar on Friday (Joe Nice + Pokes!) the sounds are very hard, but very funky, skankin' good stuff.

All I can say is that LOADS of the unreleased stuff I'm listening to at the moment has a lot of bounce and flavour, so we're ok for a bit.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
bassnation said:

Loefah used a 303 on 'Jungle,' but an acid direction in dubstep would be something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.