DUBSTEP- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mms

sometimes
Blackdown said:
it's not just the risk with a lot of halfstep being made badly, it's a lot of it being played. it is so down and skunked out that it can be too much sometimes. given it came through in 2004, i'm more into a mix of rhythms right now.

variation and contrast is definitley where it is at, variation in everything i think - that system was a bit flatter at the lower end and some of the more hip/ hop crunky elements of esp loefahs stuff came thru in the drum drops etc..i think there is an aspect to halfstep stuff that could take on some r and b elements much more than some of the more uptempo stuff , esp stuff like dropping uptempo fills during a track etc, vocal samples. chords etc, could definitley make something more of the oceanic aspects at this speed, imagine a music that combined the oceanic aspects of something like shoegaze's curved chords with r and b's and timbaland style beats etc. that would be fucking immense.

elgato

I just dont know
Yeh man

I personally think that if loefah gets tired of doing the kind of amusical, bass beats fx thing soon (not that im too bothered when hes banging out the muds of this world!) and brings some more overt colour back in then he is going to make next level music. Imagine life dub's melodic poinancy combined with his newfound technical mastery... gosh

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Yeah, rhythmic variation is what we want...

I think Loefah's already doing that but it wasn't coming through that system. The bass was BIG and very satisfying in many ways but compare it with something like Iration Steppas system... there were so many low down tones and colours that just got square waved out. Case in point - a record I love probably more than any other in dubstep and know very well, Coki's Mood Dub, was climactic within the DMZ set, but was a bit rough at the bottom when it should have a gorgeous, multi-faceted, rounded motherlode of bass harmonics.

I suppose I'm splitting hairs a bit now - "I want spiritual uplift AND perfect bass fidelity!" - but I think the system could have been a bit better. Some people on the dubstep forum say it was better in Third Base.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:
The bass was BIG and very satisfying in many ways but compare it with something like Iration Steppas system... there were so many low down tones and colours that just got square waved out.

i was hoping that dmz might get to use the iration steppas sound system one day, but i get the feeling that it ain't going to happen (treading on toes?)

micmack

My Little Pony
My first DMZ too. Overall I enjoyed it - Kode 9 was definitly the highlight, but also liked what Plasticman was doing (although had to leave after half an hour, cos I'm an old man).
For me, what I like in dubstep is that it is assimilating lots of other sounds (reggae, hip-hop, techno, house, d'n'b, electronica...), it's still full of possibilities.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
matt b said:
i was hoping that dmz might get to use the iration steppas sound system one day, but i get the feeling that it ain't going to happen (treading on toes?)
Do you think it's treading on toes? I think there's some ambition to use their system, but more just respect for the scene that Iration have built up...

Logos

Ghosts of my life
UFO over easy said:
I find the whole halfstep thing really frustrating, but incredibly interesting. It's so difficult to place what makes tracks like Mud, Ruffage, Horror Show, Third Choice rmx etc such fantastic tracks compared to the lacklustre efforts from other producers who are aiming at the same sort of vibe, as superficially everything is the same. When there's so few elements its impossible to explain why the tunes work, or why they don't, which must make them incredibly difficult to make.

Spot on.

I think Loefah's stuff is out of this world, as challenging and jawdropping as Mala's very different work.

The lesson from Ed Rush and Optical era drum and bass (wormhole being such an incredible statement of minimal funk) is - DON'T THROW THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATHWATER.

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
Do you think it's treading on toes? I think there's some ambition to use their system, but more just respect for the scene that Iration have built up...

well nightmares on wax recently toured with iration, but they're all old leeds crew and tight buddies , but it's possible if the two parties do enough stuff together at the west indian centre in leeds etc.
most things are possible, the generational thing has already been noted in the fact that they have been asked to play there.
however the bug was getting a system built so maybe that's another solution.

mms

sometimes
Logos said:
It wasn't. Not bad at all, but not 3rd bass.

i think thats something people are bound to say if they have been going since the start, and i'm not criticising i think it's a natural reaction sometimes. I'm very happy that i was there (not at no 1 but 2) and i'm very happy it's absolutley evolved into something lots of people can enjoy. it was great seeing mark and nina there as well apologies for not saying hello for longer but i was too excited. :)

Logos

Ghosts of my life
mms said:
i think thats something people are bound to say if they have been going since the start, and i'm not criticising i think it's a natural reaction sometimes. I'm very happy that i was there (not at no 1 but 2) and i'm very happy it's absolutley evolved into something lots of people can enjoy. it was great seeing mark and nina there as well apologies for not saying hello for longer but i was too excited. :)

I had a great time, thought it was a brilliant party. Nothing like a proper rave - no 'room two' bollocks - with getting on for 1000 people inside going nuts.

2stepfan said:
Yeah, rhythmic variation is what we want...

then checkout benga or us ;) ...

...and no names on the wobbleclones but listen to this mix. As good as it is and it is bloody good, there is a sort of generic sameness about it that i find somewhat less than inspiring

http://www.odds-n-sods.co.uk/mixes/Bracket_-_Two_Turntables_&_One_Hangover_Mix.mp3

01. N-Type - Misunderstood [Dubpolice]
02. Mondie - Shower [Foot in the Door]
03. Digital Mystikz - Haunted [DMZ]
04. Elemental - Deep Under [Hotflush]
05. Caspa - For The Kids [Dubpolice]
06. Omen - Frontline [Tectonic]
07. MRK1 - Dirty Birds [Tyke]
08. Emalkay - Gut Feeling [Boka]
09. Footsie - Morbid [Braindead]
10. Wonder - What [Geeneus Remix] [Dumpvalve]
11. Toasty - Knowledge [Vex'd Remix] [Hotflush]
12. Tubby - Its War [Braindead]
13. N-Type - Way of the Dub [Dubpolice]
14. Luke Envoy - Gamma [Hotflush]
15. MRK1 - Empire [Tyke]
16. Digital Mystikz - Ancient Memories [Skream Remix][DMZ]
17. Skream - I [Loefah Remix] [Tempa]
18. Digital Mystikz - Anti War Dub [DMZ]
19. Luke Envoy - Honour Kill [Hotflush]
20. Vex'd - Bombardment of Saturn [Planet Mu]
21. Skream - Request Line [Tempa]

mms said:
it was great seeing mark and nina there as well apologies for not saying hello for longer but i was too excited. :)

surely the best reason ever for not hanging about!

the vibe was really great (and i never say things like that). Would so be up for another night like that - and the idea that all these dissensus people were lurking in the shadows just adds to the fun!

tryptych

waiting for a time
mms said:
imagine a music that combined the oceanic aspects of something like shoegaze's curved chords with r and b's and timbaland style beats etc. that would be fucking immense.

Yes yes...

Cmon shoestep crew, I know you're out there...

(although I like Gek-Opel's term "sub-gaze" from the other thread)

soul_pill

This was my 3rd DMZ and i thought the atmosphere was live :)

pity i didn't see u marcus - would have been good to catch up...

loved Kode9 and Skream.... obviously Loefah's tracks..... amazing night.... was losing track of who played what, by the end.

But 3rd bass has a warm distortion on it's system which just isn't felt upstairs - it gives the music a punchy quality - an almost indefinable something extra.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
I'm jealous of all this easy access to live dubstep. I live in NYC and I wanted to check Dub War but it's 21+ and I'm only 20. :mad:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2stepfan said:

this is pure conjecture on my part, but i think the issues would come from the transmission (d'n'b) lot not iration- there seems to be some friction between dubstep and d'n'b, and transmission won't want to lose the main room, which if dmz + iration happened, they would.

there again, i could be very wrong

viktorvaughn

DMZ was great, kode9 is a real craftsman, the highlight for me probably. i wrote a mini review here , feel free to disagree!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.