Ariel Pink

tht

akstavrh
that's nice, though apparently ariel pink has been writing and recording songs since he was very young (10yrs olds or something), and at that time analog taping was the only available process

this has very little do with why i like this stuff

Anyway, it sounds as if *you* are the one concerned with 'authenticity,' not bob pollard lol

this seems to be some intra indie polemic shit, although if you have any further thoughts (that could amuse someone other than yourself, etc)

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
don't quite understand why everyone doesn't get all doo-lally over Ariel Pink, but whatever...I mean, "The Ballad Of Bobby Pyn" is brilliant, like Mark E Smith doing quiet storm...

N

nomadologist

one thing i do know: ariel pink's family is not poor. he grew up in beverly hills, i'm pretty sure. some of my LA friends run in that crowd...

N

nomadologist

the house in the beginning where he's pretending to play the piano is damn nice, probably a $750,000 + house in CA

swears

preppy-kei
Haha...I wasn't really paying attention at first and thought it was a hotel lobby or a shopping mall or some other "classy" public place, but on closer inspection it looks like a house.

tht

akstavrh
the line in that la weekly article i copied (cashing father's cheque) was hilarious, again the rich kid thing shouldn't be an issue unless there is an attempt to conceal it and/or they're clearly feeding off nepotism within the industry

tht

akstavrh
and if they're shit, then you can hold it against them (see all shit uk public school indie)

N

nomadologist

I do like that about Ariel Pink. he doesn't really apologize for being rich, he doesn't pretend he's "gritty", like The Strokes, who are probably the richest daddy's boys who ever played gritty indie purist street rock revival music.

tht

akstavrh
the strokes are probably the epitome of flagrant nepotism and how good pr can conceal it or at least attenuate it as an issue

those cunts have a lot to answer for, in so many ways

henry s

Street Fighting Man
since when did The Strokes pretend they were poor?...decadent, perhaps, but poor?...seems to me the upbringing of the various band members matters only as much as one wants it to...what do I care?...this kind of criticism smacks of the way the conservatives are currently jumping on Al Gore, claiming that his warnings about global warming are bunk because he himself leaves such a large carbon footprint...

zhao

there are no accidents
$750 K? that house? in B. Hills?? hahaha... I guess you didn't major in real estate Nomad :) my estimation would be at the very least 3 million.

again the rich kid thing shouldn't be an issue unless there is an attempt to conceal it and/or they're clearly feeding off nepotism within the industry

I've heard, not sure how accurate, that Tom Waits was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. if that's the case his entire career is based on concealment and pretending to be someone else.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I think people ought to listen to music more selfishly...what's in it for me?...who really cares about the actual musicians?...we don't enter into any contractual relationships with them...Townes Van Zandt and Gram Parsons were both born into entitlement...(hell, GP even went to Harvard)...you'd never know that from their music...

tht

akstavrh
the enervating thing about the strokes is how they are symptomatic of the complacent fauxhemian (as sonic youth would say, implicating themselves just a little) effluent clogging up the pop scene, none of them actually saying they're poor as their pr can disseminate images of slovenly desuetude very effectively; they don't even have to compensate by concocting tales about how they sold themselves for heroin

this isn't to say they would be any less shit if they were actually rent boys or factory workers; simply highlighting how classless utopianism sells disquietlingly well after all this time

there are plenty of examples within the pop canon (thinking scott walker, spacemen 3, pere ubu, slits maybe) that probably needed the same dissimulation to hide their priviledge, the difference being they were actually good

Octopus?

I've heard, not sure how accurate, that Tom Waits was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. if that's the case his entire career is based on concealment and pretending to be someone else.

Well, as his entire public face is a blatantly constructed persona, it doesn't seem to matter much one way or another. His entire career IS based on concealment and pretending to be someone else but it's always done with a wink.

swears

preppy-kei
the enervating thing about the strokes is how they are symptomatic of the complacent fauxhemian (as sonic youth would say, implicating themselves just a little) effluent clogging up the pop scene...

"Bohemia" is a completely discredited concept now, so I don't see how anyone with that mindset could be anything except "fauxhemian". Maybe musicians should concentrate on something a bit more engaging, something that "plays to win" and takes popular music back from the boardroom and gives it back to the freaks.

tht

akstavrh
"Bohemia" is a completely discredited concept now, so I don't see how anyone with that mindset could be anything except "fauxhemian"

that was the point, i suppose

the strokes have a glint in their eyes suggestive of a self awareness that escapes common or garden uk student indie and the contempt this engenders is the only interesting thing about them

this reminded me of a fantastic post on the seemingly defunct (sadly) it happens for a reason that got me thinking in the halycon days of last summer